APauls 06-Aug-23
glidingindian 07-Aug-23
Brotsky 07-Aug-23
nchunter 08-Aug-23
Painless 09-Aug-23
Rob in VT 09-Aug-23
Bohunr 10-Aug-23
05-Aug-23
This has never happened to me (on either end of the spectrum). I was watching you tube -

4 guys in camp - after nine days they all go home. One guy comes back 4 days later by himself. Couple days later, 2 miles back in, he shoots a nice bull mid-day. Gets it quartered and gets back at his camp with a load at dark.

He had met a couple hunters who told him "If you need a hand let us know". So he goes to their camp just around the corner from him. They helped him pack out his bull.

They never said what the guy did to "repay" the hunters that assisted him.

*** If it were me that assisted him - I would not expect any kind of payment - {well maybe a cold beer :) ] ESPECIALLY any kind of money. Just a thanks and handshake.

So, what have you done to "repay" someone for their kindness in this kind of situation. Or if you helped someone, did they offer anything - did you accept it???

I've thought about this and I'm certain I would, at the very least, offer some prime elk meat as a thanks.

05-Aug-23
I dont expect anything either as I may need it in the future. I enjoy helping no matter what the situation as long as the other person seems decent. Meeting people in the field and helping is one of the things I enjoy.

I have been given elk meat, and have mailed a gift card as a small token of appreciation.

05-Aug-23
I’ve helped many guys pack out their elk. I’ve also had guys help me.

I don’t expect anything in return but I’ve made sure anyone that helps me has had their fill of cool adult beverages before they leave

05-Aug-23
X2 Cnelk!

ElkNut

05-Aug-23
Three miles back in. Helped a gal track her wounded bull; lent her an extra arrow to kill it once we found it. Deboned and bagged it and helped her pack it out three miles back to the truck. Never expected a payback but she gave me half of the elk meat. "what goes around, comes around". Like you guys, Just a thank you would have been ok. My best, Paul

05-Aug-23
I’ve helped others many times. And my payment was the good feeling from helping others. As corny as that sounds.

05-Aug-23
I've helped complete strangers and had complete strangers help me. I never expect anything in return but have bought whiskey and beer for the guys who've helped me. Every single guy I've helped or has helped me I still stay in contact with to this day....some are now very good friends and we've enjoyed hunts together years after. Just be kind to people and you never know what you might get in return.

05-Aug-23
I called in a cow for an ex hunting partner in NM who was in camp for the first 5days of our hunt while I was there solo for 3 more. He shot the cow and we packed it out. We get back to camp that night and he starts talking on how much work he has back home and he may leave a day early. I hunt solo that next am and kill a bull and quickly get it gutted, strap on a front qtr and head back to camp to find my partner is gone home. While walking back in to start packing the rest of my meat I come across 3 guys who I give some intel to and they offered to help me pack out my meat. I gave my cape to one of them to mount his bull from the yr prior for helping.

05-Aug-23
Split the meat with them…

05-Aug-23
I've happily packed more critters for friends and others than I have for myself and I've never expected repayment, but a cold beer sure is nice at the end of the day!

On the other hand...A couple years ago after my buddy filled his ram tag on opening day, we gave some sheep intel to a guided hunter we'd bumped into, who owned a hunting gear company, who hadn't even seen a ram in 10 days of hunting. His guide took him up to the spot we told him to go and he killed a nice ram the next day. As a "thanks" he sent us a couple leftover hats with his own name on them that he'd had made for his sheep hunt along with a very dated DVD of his own hunting exploits over the years...I thought that was pretty lame.

05-Aug-23
Never been lucky enough to get an elk... Yet. Now deer on the other hand i have helped and had help. Cold beer and a hand shake goes a long way!

05-Aug-23
We met a young cowboy kid the day my buddy shot a bull. The kids was so excited to help my buddy pack it out the next morning. After packing a HUGE load on his back, he was just happy to have met us and kept thanking my friend for letting him help. Wouldn’t take anything so my buddy put 100$ in his glove box and called him after we left and told him

05-Aug-23
There was one time when I packed a bull elk on my horse for a guy.

He shot the bull the night before with a ML. Up and over a ridge. Got it gutted out and came back to camp. He asked if I’d pack it out the next morning.

I said sure. But only after I hunted for a deer before I helped him. I told him to head back in, find his elk, pack it up to the edge of the clearcut and I’d meet him there about noon.

Noon came and I was there with my horse. Nobody around. I tied up my horse and went and found the elk. Nothing had been done.

I saw the guys wandering around not far away and they said they couldn’t find the elk. I said “he’s right over there”

So we quartered up the elk, pack it up to the clearcut (where my horse was patiently waiting) loaded up and walked out.

I never even got a thank you.

That pissed me off

05-Aug-23
I've helped haul out a bunch of elk for friends and bowsiters. Always been offered a little meat and some cold barley pops and shared a bunch of stories and good times. I hate the pain but love the process and friendships. Never expect anything but the satisfaction of helping others, but always appreciate anything offered in return.

05-Aug-23
I have helped more guys drag deer out and they have always offered meat with plenty of thanks. I decline the meat 1 because I know how hard they worked for it and 2 I want to shoot my own. And the last is one day I'll be in their position and hope that there will be a guy helping, karma goes around. It's almost like a hunter code.

05-Aug-23

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Ended up getting a wife after one pack out. She has since been repaying me every day for letting her help! And I pack out her animals too.

Seriously, I don't expect anything besides maybe a beer, but have have been offered meat and have had lunches/dinners shared or bought at someplace local. But I don't expect anything, and do it because that's what we do.

05-Aug-23
I’m always happy to accept good karma as sufficient payment on ANYTHING, from holding a door for someone on up through whatever I can do under the circumstances. That said, I wouldn’t turn down anyone’s hospitality of they were to offer me a beverage or a meal in camp.

One thing to bear in mind on a share of the meat - last I checked, the CO regs were quite specific as to how much someone can give you before you’re required to tag it; half an Elk (or deer, I’m sure) would force you to burn your tag (at least last I checked). I have no idea what the protocol would be if someone wanted to share with you after you had tagged out yourself.

Not sure what the regs are on giving someone a cape, hide, etc., either. There are doubtless some restrictions in place due to prior incidents of bad behavior. Most “stupid” hunting regs are written as they are because someone got off on a major violation due to a very minor technicality….

05-Aug-23

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Page 16 of the Regs (Colorado)

05-Aug-23
There you go!

Thanks.

05-Aug-23
Several years ago I used my rented horse to pack out a cow elk for a guy solo hunting and camped next to us. The day he left I found a $100 bill on my cot. Nice Jester that was not expected.

05-Aug-23
It was 2006. First ever elk hunt. There were 7 of us. Guy camped beside us was by himself. We told him if he needed help packing, just holler. We helped him that year.

The second trip back the following year, we saw him again. Told him the same thing. We helped him again that year.

We never took a thing and he never offered a thing except friendship and a cold drink once we were done. I look for him ever time I’ve been back and, never saw him again. But, if I do, it’ll be like old friends.

I packed out a buck one time and came across an old fella close to camp. He was in bad health. Turned out he used to hunt in that area. But, hadn’t been back in a long time.

Time had taken its toll. But, what he couldn’t do hunting he made up for hanging out in camp at night. He became good friends that week with the whole group. He left on Friday and I gave him my deer. He was so happy. We exchanged numbers with the promise to get a hold of each other before next season. I called as I promised and listened to his wife tear up about his passing several months before. She told me he often talked of the experience and his new friends after getting home from that trip. Bucky was a good guy no doubt. And was as proud of that deer as if he’d killed it. It makes me happy to think about how much joy he got out of his last deer camp.

I packed a whole bone in quarters, whitetail buck out for a guy two years ago. It was a long heavy pack. Almost three miles. We had become friends 20 years ago seeing him hunting in the area i rifle hunt. He had a heart attack the year before shooting that buck. He first words to me when I walked upon him after he shot the deer was, “ I don’t know how I’m ever going to get this deer outta here.”. I just smiled and said I do.

He offered everything he had to offer once we got back to the parking lot. And, told me thank you about 100 times on the way out. When we were parting ways he mentioned this was likely going to be the last time we ever saw one another. It kind of pinged my heart a little because this guy was a true big woods hunter. One of the few that still tracked deer in the mountains. It sobered me up to what we often take for granted. And as predicted, I didn’t see him last year and expect I never will again.

Life is short. Be kind to the young ones getting started and the old ones finishing up. It’ll be you before you know it.

05-Aug-23
A buddy was waiting on elk in a big open area. Hunting solo. A herd charges right at him and he gets a decent bull. A few minutes later here come 2 young hunters. They had scared the herd right to my buddy. They were nice enough to help him pack out and insisted on carrying the heaviest pieces. Obviously he was very appreciative. He got their # cause they only lived about a 1/2 hour from him and he called em a while later and took em out for a good steak dinner.

05-Aug-23
In 2020 a gentleman I had met while on an elk hunting trip offered to help if I was successful. He was not hunting by the way, just a local guy who was a big trapper. When I got my elk, he and a friend drove out to help pack it out. The guy I met put everything in his freezers over night for me. I gave his friend a couple hundred dollars and I gave him the cape to sell and when I got home I sent him a custom set of trapping knives. Neither of them wanted anything but I insisted. Was my 1st elk and was just my sister and I on the hunt.

05-Aug-23
Oddly, it's illegal to accept any compensation for helping pack out on National Forest or BLM without a permit. Meant for illegal outfitting, etc. and I can't imagine an officer worrying about a $100 or a steak dinner.

Helping a fellow hunter is just normal. I gave up most of a day of my unit 61 hunt to help an elderly guy who killed his first elk, was completely overwhelmed with the task and stopped by camp looking for help. A deer hunter from a nearby camp and I quartered and packed it out. The guy was in tears at the truck when we finished he was so appreciative. He had driven from PA in an old RV, had mechanical issues along the way. All the fletching fell off the brand new arrows he bought for the trip and he was shooting arrows the local shop loaned him while they refletched his.

Not enough time left for much of a hunt that evening so I opted to sit a water hole close to a road and maybe catch some bugling to start a plan for the morning. I killed my bull 10 minutes after getting to the water hole. Karma?

05-Aug-23
I was in WA mountains with my partner. We were both riding our horses along with two mules. We came across two hunter who had a nice 6x6 down. they looked exshausded. 12 miles back to camp. We offered to help but they said no we can do it. Then one noticed the mules and man were they happy. They gave us half the backstrapp and man was it good in camp. Last year I shot a nice 6x7. I was about 600 yards frokm the road where my landrover was. I am officially disabled now and no way I am up to the job. I get back to the lr drive to cell reception and call my son at his frat house in WZU. Tow hours later he shows up his buddies knies and a pickup. ONe was a butchers son. They had that bull cut up an out in an hour. I took the tenderloin they took everything else back to the frat kitchen. According to my son those boys and others from the frat ate on it for week.

05-Aug-23
Our crew have helped many hunters recover elk and have had a few hanging in our camp overnight from strangers but 2 guys from Oklahoma I'll never forget. The year is 2001 (right after 9/11). They had left OK on Monday to drive to AZ as one of them had a bull tag. Well he shoots a pretty nice 6X opening morning. One of my buddies stumbles across them in the field with this bull down and they didn't know what to do. Tommy rallies the troops and we get this bull hanging in our camp. They hadn't even set up camp yet. They had brought a plug in freezer that they left at a friends house in Flagstaff. They left for the processor in Flagstaff later that day and we figured that was the end of it. The next day, they show up with about 7-8 cases of beer, whiskey and food in a huge cooler all iced down. They owned a farm in OK and said we could come hunt their property whenever we wanted. We lost touch with them but I'll never forget them. BTW, they didn't even know that 9/11 had happened that past Tuesday.

05-Aug-23
I remember a fellow bowsiter calling me to let me know he had an elk down in a unit not too far from my place. It was like his 50+ elk with a bow (amazing). Hooking up with him and packing all that meat out on our backs was FUN with laughs and good times. Never even thought of any type of favor or payment, as I know he’d do the same for me if he could.

05-Aug-23

Willieboat's embedded Photo
Willieboat's embedded Photo
Proof that Roy will drink beer….thanks again for the help.

05-Aug-23
brettpsu bought me a bottle of whiskey! Thanks buddy!

05-Aug-23
That was a hell of a bull you guys packed out, Roy and Michael!

Couple years ago two young guys stopped by my camper and asked if I would watch their rack and meat while they went in for the last load. It was the kid's first ever animal with a bow, and all he knew was that it was a "bull", so he shot through the gap in the timber with the vitals exposed. He asked if I thought it would make P&Y. I kind of stammered that I thought it probably would. I asked if they needed a hand packing and they said they only had two quarters left, so no thanks. Off they went into the darkness.

This was the biggest bull I've ever held, and I've held a LOT of bulls. While they were gone I taped him at 391 gross. Net inches didn't matter at that point. From a WY general unit not known for big bulls.

I finally went to bed and left four cold beers on top of the meat beside my camper. Sometime in the middle of the night they stumbled out, and quietly loaded the meat, cape, and antlers without waking me. Neither one tipped the scale over about 145, but they muscled that big thing out in a day. When they came over the next day they told me the story. Young feller had no idea what he had killed, but I assured him it would probably make Pope and Young.....

05-Aug-23
In nearly all cases I’ve helped someone, I would never expect anything. I’m more than happy to give someone a hand.

The only time I thought maybe something might come my way is when a really good friends good buddy called to see if I could help him the next day. He made a pretty crappy sounding shot right at dark on a bull, and my good friend he was with absolutely could not take the day off work to go with him the next day.

I took the next day off work, drove my truck 1.5 hours to where we had to park. It took over an hour to recreate the shot, then find a track, then a spot of blood. After another hour of me on my hands and knees following tiny blood drops, I found his bull. Then we packed it out to my truck, about 4 miles each round trip.

On the way home we hit a Dairy Queen for a burger and fries. I thought maybe he would buy my fast food dinner. Nope. Dropped him at his house, didn’t offer any gas money, or any meat either.

That whole deal was a little weird.

05-Aug-23
Isn't it interesting how when we help folks we don't expect payment, but many times worry about how to repay or show appreciation to those who help us ?

05-Aug-23

Huntsolo's embedded Photo
Huntsolo's embedded Photo
My non-hunting friend has always been available to help me in a pinch. In return, I’ve taken him and his sons shed hunting.

05-Aug-23

Buglemaster's embedded Photo
Buglemaster's embedded Photo
We hunted property next to a guy that didn’t have much ground to hunt but had the easiest access to the basin we did have permission to hunt. He was nice about it, but didn’t want us going thru his stuff as he also hunted. We bumped into him on the property line 1 evening & he said he was just going to go back to his place & pick a different evening to hunt. I said heck no, set down & we will see if we can call in a cow for you. Seriously, 15 minutes later he busted a cow that charged in with his rifle. It got up & ran back into the thick stuff. He couldn’t sort out the trail & we volunteered to help him look. It was on his property & we ended up nearly back to his place. He told the 3 of us we were welcome to access thru his property any time that night. Even went as far as to invite us to camp right in his yard, use his shower & anything else we needed. That lasted for several years & a great friendship was made. He went thru an ugly divorce & had two sell the place. Keith, man we sure do miss ya! That’s our camp in the pic.

06-Aug-23
“Isn't it interesting how when we help folks we don't expect payment, but many times worry about how to repay or show appreciation to those who help us ?”

It’s nice to think that nobody wants to be That Guy… but it sounds like bowhunt met him in person!

06-Aug-23
Not elk, but happened to me on a solo bowhunt for Wyoming bull moose in 2013. Met a local taxidermist in the field that week. When he learned I planned to do a euro mount if successful, he gave me his card and offered to bring a crew and a side by side to help in exchange for the moose cape. That's exactly how it went down. Once I walked up on my first ever bull moose, there was no hesitation to make the call...LOL! I offered meat, but the crew declined. Did pay the taxidermist to do the euro mount.

To be clear, I was prepped to get the bull out myself based on advice posted on Bowsite by Kevin Dill. Had hauled multiple elk off the mountain solo before. BIG difference between a bull moose and a bull elk though! I have no doubts that I could have handled the situation solo...but why do that with such an offer on the table! Shot my bull mid-afternoon and had him back in camp before dark. That NEVER would have happened solo!

06-Aug-23
A simple Thank You and maybe an Ice Cold beer back at camp works for me.

Good luck, Robb

06-Aug-23
I've helped several folks pack out their elk; only requesting a steak or two when offered.

I had a couple of guys from NE help me pack out an elk of mine...I gave them a quarter and cooked elk steaks that evening...went through a bottle of Jack with them as well!

06-Aug-23
With my hunting partners, I share the meat. Packing an elk out 2-3 miles is serious work, and it cuts into their hunting time. In this scenario, I'd probably send them a Leatherman or something they'd like, just because of the issues with giving meat under CO law, and pre-processing versus post-processing issues. YMMV.

06-Aug-23
I don't think anything should be expected by those who help, but I think it's only common courtesy for the hunter to offer at least a couple of meals of back-strap. I always have.

The last 2 elk I helped others pack out, the hunters were grateful, but didn't even offer me a water when we got back to their camp. I have to say that pissed me off a little.

Matt

06-Aug-23
What a great, heartwarming thread, gents! One of the best of many, many great comments: "I’ve helped others many times. And my payment was the good feeling from helping others. As corny as that sounds." An offer to help is especially welcomed in grizzly country, even if it's just to stand guard.

06-Aug-23
I’ve gotten up at 2:00AM on a call to help find an elk. Then drove hours away to help and then pack out the next day.

Have driven to other states a few times to help on a pack out from a hell hole.

Never expected, asked for, nor accepted anything other than a “thank you” on any help I have ever given.

I did kill an elk once in a horrible hell hole in Wyoming just ahead of a big snowstorm. One of the most amazing bowhunters, won’t give away his name but he is on the Bowsite, came out in the middle of the night and saved my ass. Even came out the next day and helped pack. Took me another day afterwards to get that one out. Really sucked. Thank God for good, ethical hunters!

He never asked for a thing. I sent him a couple of special items to let him know how much I appreciated the help and possibly saving my life…

06-Aug-23
It really is a great topic.

I've shared camps with long-time hunting partners where the unspoken agreement was everyone helped with pack-outs, and every successful hunter shared a little meat with those who weren't as fortunate. I'm not talking whole quarters, just a few meals for their families to enjoy. We never considered it "repayment" We enjoyed sharing the fruits of our labors.

I don't think there should be any expectations or obligations. Do what makes you feel good, and the other party will probably feel the same. The meat I've shared, or received, has always been appreciated.

Matt

06-Aug-23
I will say, one thing I don't like and sometimes it happens is when someone offers to help but turns into a grumpy butt while helping pack out. This happened to me a few years ago on a deer pack out. I was going to pack this thing out myself but one individual begged me not to pack it out and he and another individual would come help. The other individual was not in a good mood when they found out how far in it was. It was a late night getting my buck out but in my opinion if you're going to come help you know there's a world of hurt that can be in front of you, everyone is feeling the same thing don't put your displeasure upon everyone else.

06-Aug-23
I'd be happy to help anyone with a pack out. I actually enjoy it and I believe in good karma.

06-Aug-23
That's great to hear, Nick! I'll keep you on speed dial if my Llama packer gets hung up! :-)

06-Aug-23
Lots of good folks on this site! You guys rock!

ElkNut

06-Aug-23
You got it, Lou! Get the quarters hung, I'll be there in an hour or 16!

06-Aug-23
In 2019, my brother in law and I ran into an elderly gentleman that had just shot a mule deer buck. He had shot it right off a two track. He said the deer dropped when he shot and knew it was dead, so he was getting his things together to go down the draw. We told him we would give him a hand since he was not getting around very well. We ended up quartering and packing the deer back to his vehicle so he invited us to his camp for coffee and cold pop. The coffee sounded good to my BIL, so we headed that way. He gave me a cold Pepsi, and put the coffee pot on the stove to warm up the coffee from breakfast. My BIL went to retrieve his cup from our truck. When he was gone I saw the old timer take two partially drank cups of coffee from breakfast and pour them back in the pot to be re-heated as well. Before I could signal to my BIL, the old timer poured the coffee into my BIL’s cup. We needed to get moving, so we left right away. As soon as we were in the truck I told my BIL what he was drinking. Needless to say he cussed me out. It’s a good laugh now when we talk about hunts past.

06-Aug-23
haha....yuck!

06-Aug-23
No way I’d ask Nick to help me pack anything out. I don’t wanna get shown up by a guy 20 years my senior.

07-Aug-23
In 2015 I drew a shiras tag in Idaho on my first try. Made a friend over the internet who was the UPS driver for that area of SE Idaho. Knew everyone. There were no registered guides or outfitters so he said he would tell me where to go first day then take off rest of week to hunt with us. showed me around Sunday afternoon and Monday I was glassing a valley with my wife in tow. We saw my buddy Mark across the valley putting a note on my truck. The note told me where he had seen a nice bull chasing a cow while on his way to work. Two hours later I killed the bull when he stood up out of his bed. I called Mark AND HE SAID TO SIT TIGHT. THREE GUYS AND A WOMAN WHO WAS A NURSE SHOWED UP WITH ALL THE EQUIPMENT AND BASICALLY PACKED HIM OUT. I had recent wrist and thumb surgery so they were a godsend. They refused payment of any kind, even dinner. Said that wasn’t the code around there, but if I ever came back and they needed help I was expected to get to work! They were so pleasant and unselfish just like my new buddy Mark. I went to Badlands in SLC to exchange a bag and bought them all a nice backpack. They again refused anything so I asked them to donate the packs to their church group or local boys and girls club. Sometimes kindness pays off thru good vibes. My friend Mark later drew the top unit in Utah, the Idaho Super Tag for elk in the same year and killed 2 boomers. He Drew the Idaho super tag for antelope the next year , moose the next and premium Utah unit this year for elk. Good karma for good deeds, wish it always was that way. He did come turkey hunt in Alabama with me as well and made even more friends. There re still really good people out there and I was lucky to have them enter my life. Restored my faith in our society

07-Aug-23
Midwest loves to help with the pack out! He especially loves to watch you carry everything and then takes videos of you looking like a damn sherpa! Ha!

I've helped a lot of buddies pack meat, I'm definitely in the same camp as Nick. Enjoy the workout, enjoy the camaraderie, the laughs, and the celebration when it's over. I'll pack meat for anyone, anywhere...and often have! Good times!

08-Aug-23
Being from the south I would hope for a large glass of sweet tea. I always enjoy helping others with their hunts. There is probably 10 other hunting cabins on the road where mine is. We always look out for each other when someone shoots a deer. I think I have helped more that are lost then anything else.

09-Aug-23
Through the years, I been able to help several hunters pack out their animals. Never expected anything in return and counted it as a blessing to be able to help..

09-Aug-23
Had a couple of guys help with a bull once. Met them in town and bought them dinner.

10-Aug-23
I've helped many hunters that I didn't know pack animals out. Made some good friends that way. I just tell them to "pay it forward "like I was doing for them.One group of four guys all got their bulls,and being a meat cutter with extensive experience boning game I helped with all four. Before they left I got mine and they helped me.Instead of saying they went 4 for 4,they included me and claimed 5 for 5.That was 25 years ago and we are still friends.

• Sitka Gear