Lawdog 07-Aug-23
fuzzy 07-Aug-23
Corax_latrans 07-Aug-23
Beendare 07-Aug-23
BIGERN 08-Aug-23
IdyllwildArcher 08-Aug-23
Corax_latrans 09-Aug-23
07-Aug-23
I was talking with my brother yesterday, and it brought to mind a conversation that I had about 35 years ago with one of the professors at Wyoming… I had said something about maybe adding a bear tag to my list of licenses for the year, and he paused a moment, then said “Yeah. But you know, killing a bear is a great way to ruin a perfectly good Elk hunt. “

And I can see that, for sure. You get any real distance from the vehicle, that could turn into a couple days of work, maybe?

So let’s say you’ve hiked in a couple of hours or more. How do you handle a bear carcass in the field so as to take home the good stuff without beating yourself down to where you’re too zapped to enjoy the rest of your Elk hunt?

I’m thinking Step One is probably to not shoot too large a bear in the first place, but then what?

How do you cool the carcass of a bear in September so the meat won’t sour?

How do you divide things into loads, and how do you prioritize the order for getting those down?

Anything else a person ought to know that makes a bear a different project from a deer or Elk?

07-Aug-23
I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't handle it like any other meat. skin it, quarter it, cool it, pack it out. I like to carry a small meat thermometer with me to monitor actual meat temperature. They age meat for ten days at 40 degrees and biological activity doubles for each 10 degrees (centigrade) 18 degrees Fahrenheit. That means at 58 degrees you have 3 days (square root of 10) to get it into a cooler. at 76 degrees you have a little over a day and a half. Remember to use breathable game bags (i like old pillow cases) and not plastic bags because they trap moisture and heat. Plastic bags are okay for keeping the meat clean if you wanted to submerge them in a stream to cool but take them out when you hang them back up. As for whether you want to take time out of your elk hunt to deal with bear meat, that is a personal decision. If its worth anything I like bear meat better than elk.

07-Aug-23
If giving up the day or two isn't worth it, skip the tag.

Other than that, just a critter. Don't forget the swizzle stick.

07-Aug-23
This is how our elk hunts have went. The years we have had a bear tag we did not see a bear. The years we did not have a bear tag we seen a bear. See the pattern? Lol

With a 35% meat yield on a bear. That’s only in the 100 lb range for a 300 lb bear. If your by yourself that is what 2 trips with meat and hide? Not sure how much weight you like to pack.

As said above. Get the meat off the animal, air it out, pack it out and get it in a cooler with ice. I like to use caribou game bags.

07-Aug-23
As for the question of taking time out of an elk hunt to deal with bear meat I think a big consideration is whether you're a resident. Being from Minnesota I don't get a lot of chances to hunt elk and I can hunt bear in my home state. I have also found that the few times I have tried multi species hunts I usually end up focused on one more than the other. On the other hand, we don't have as many color phase bears in Minnesota as they do out west and I would jump at the opportunity to stalk a blond or cinnamon phase bears. I think it might come down the price of the bear tag. 35 years ago it was probably a bargain. Not so today. its really a toss up.

07-Aug-23
Hunt elk...skip the bear tag. That said, I typically have a mule deer tag in my pocket during elk hunts...LOL!

07-Aug-23
Meat care processes are the same regardless of species. If you're unable or unwilling to put elk hunt on hold to take care of a bear, then don't kill the bear.

07-Aug-23
Not thinking at all of doing anything other than full focus on dealing with whatever is dead FIRST, so unless a bear shows up to volunteer while we’re working on an Elk, it’ll be one thing at a time. It’s just that I’ve got kind of a goofy schedule ahead of me and it might actually make more sense for me to take a few days to focus on a bear.

Besides, my brother has called in several while cow-calling, so a guy could probably hunt the two at once.

Makes a lot of sense to treat meat like meat, but I think it’d be foolish to not ask about the differences, especially if you were to get into one with a real good layer of fat already on it…

And is there a good reason to not go with a gutless approach on a bear? Seems like if there’s a lot of fat under the hide, you might have to gut it as your best/quickest/only option for cooling it down.

And yeah, it’s true that a bear tag is more expensive than bear spray, but it’s probably also much more effective at keeping them far, far away, and you don’t have to fumble for the trigger on the tag.

07-Aug-23
Both bears I killed did gutless, no issues. Both large mature boars. One I packed by myself 2 loads meat, 1 hide/head. I didn't weigh the loads but max I can carry for any length of time is about 100 pounds, and the hide/head was my heaviest load. The other bear I had helpers for packing.

Meat care same as anything else, skin and debone into game bags promptly. Both my bears were NM in early Sept and had surprisingly little fat. Nothing compared to what I'd expect a cold-weather northern bear to have put on. It took me 1.5 days to get meat packed out and on ice, so if you can't afford that time on an elk hunt, don't hunt bears. And that was with immediate kill, no extended blood trailing, etc., so a bear hunt could turn into a longer detour if everything doesn't go smoothly.

And based on my limited experience...yum!

07-Aug-23
My answers below are all regarding black bears.

1. A bear is like any other animal. Skin it, take the 4 legs off, get all the other meat off the carcas. Divide into 4-6 pillow case sized game bags. The warmer the temps, the more bags i like to split the meat into. 2. Once you skin a bear out, and get it deboned you get WAY less meat than people think. I have shot some pretty good black bears, and the most meat that I have got that i weighed with a scale when i got home was 86 pounds.

3.I cool bear meat the same way i would cool any other meat in September

4. I split the loads up like any other animal

5. The only difference for me would be on a really nice bear, I may skin the entire thing out for a rug/lifesize. If you do a really good job on the skinning, not leaving a bunch of meat fat on the skin the entire hide with the skull still in it will probably be 65ish pounds. Most people leave about a 5 gallon bucket of fat and meat on an entire bear hide. That is a lot of xtra weight!

If not saving the hide, most bears are going to be more like dealing with a deer, not an elk.

07-Aug-23
The timing of this thread is perfect. Doing a bear/lion hunt that starts on the 25th. Following.

07-Aug-23
I suppose it is largely because this would be my first time at the fair, but I can’t begin to imagine leaving a hide behind, even if it were kinda “sub-prime” — I guess I always assumed that Fall hides are in pretty fair shape.

But yeah, I would rather take the time to scrape off a bunch of fat than carry it off the hill. And is it just me, or can carrying a pound or two of salt UP the hill save you from carrying a much heavier amount of water back down??

07-Aug-23
Must be an otc elk tag? Solo hunt? or you may be ruining more than one elk hunt?

07-Aug-23
Bear skin is extremely thin, like almost see through paper thin. When skinning it you see the roots for the hair. It would be a waste of time to pack salt to the kill site to put on the hide in my opinion in pretty much any scenario.

07-Aug-23
September is bear season in Colorado. Even though elk, bear, and deer season overlap, I only concentrate on one species per season, so I dont ruin an elk hunt by harvesting a bear. I hunt for elk and deer in Oct and Nov respectively.

Get the hide off quickly and you'll be fine. Last year took my bear it was in the 90's. Had to wait til following morning to get it to processor. Took 4+ hours to get out after immediately skinning, then packed with ice packs til morning.

07-Aug-23

Stix's embedded Photo
Stix's embedded Photo
I even had time for a picture.

07-Aug-23
I did take a bear during an Idaho elk hunt, but my situation was a little different. I had an outfitter, and this hunt was not a remote (relatively) hunt. Turned out that was all I got that year. I kind of wanted something to do if I tagged out on the Elk. So, I got the bear/mountain lion tag. That year I saw a lot of turkey and no tag. So, the next year I also got a turkey tag and took a nice turkey. And, I usually get a fishing license just in case I completely tag out. That hasn't happened yet. I guess I can't just do nothing while the rest of my group is still hunting. If I was all by myself on the mountain, I would think twice about taking a bear while elk hunting.

07-Aug-23
Eat im

07-Aug-23
It’s nice that Colorado’s OTC NR tags now comp you a season fishing license….

My deal is, I am planning to hunt OTC Elk with my brother and our nephew, but those two are mostly limited to weekends, so I may hit an alternate area with few Elk and more bears for a couple of days earlier during the week. That’d keep me from harassing the Elk without them (not that there won’t be plenty of other guys doing it), and I could mitigate the risk of blowing up my weekend Elk effort by being smart about where/when I take any shots at bears… Might have to rest up on Mondays, hunt high on Tuesdays, low on Wednesdays and go fishing on Thursdays and Friday mornings….

07-Aug-23
Interesting question.

I was elk hunting in NM, and found a wallow area Where I climbed a tree with my saddle. The spot was torn up for about 30’ with tracks and a couple wallows. It was a bit of a trek to get to, no trail to speak of down in a bit of a nasty spot…so read, not the easiest place to pack a critter out of solo.

I would have just built a GB but the wind swirled bad in that spot and guaranteed the elk would have winded me so I packed my Saddle in there and one stick.

I no longer get set and in comes an awesome bear with blond head and paws with the rest being a rich chestnut brown- super cool color. It starts to tear apart a stump a layup distance away for my recurve-15y.

I thought about shooting it- for about 30 seconds then changed my mind- long pack for a bear and I much prefer elk meat….plus; dang it will seriously screw up this good elk spot.

Right about that time 2- 50# cubs come strolling in and there was no second guessing my decision.

No elk killed in that spot…even in the tree I think they were winding me.

08-Aug-23
I bring large food grade plastic bags to the backcountry camp. I can cool meat in the open air then bag it, seal it ,and tank it in a creek. It gets really cold and can stay that way for a long time.

08-Aug-23
ive only hunted bear as a single species so when one was taken...it was dealt with immediately...the hunt was over. no help here...

08-Aug-23
I don't think they comp you the fishing license. I'm pretty sure they're just forcing you to pay for it. I could be wrong.

09-Aug-23
Oh, c’mon, Ike! Here I have a break-through optimistic notion, and you had to go and put me back into Cynic Mode….

I think you’re Not Wrong, because I don’t think that you get any break for the second fishing license if you buy 2 tags in a year….

• Sitka Gear