DanaC 13-Aug-23
Ace 13-Aug-23
MA-PAdeerslayer 13-Aug-23
Dkretschmar 13-Aug-23
12-Aug-23

sticksender's Link
Had no idea this was a thing.

12-Aug-23
Simple, nobody can just trespass on a landowner's property without permission and just plant a trailcam without permission... Don't know how many laws that breaks, but am sure there are a few...

12-Aug-23
I think that is not the case in the Northeast. You can hunt private without landowners permission if it is not posted. The laws don't address trail cams since they are a relatively new phenomenon.

13-Aug-23
Wow, did not know you can trespass without permission... Hmmm...

13-Aug-23
Here in Mass. there are a few towns with 'written permission only' ordinances but in most cases if it isn't posted it's ok to hunt. The polite thing to do is ask the land owner, especially if they reside on that property. (*especially* re. trail cameras!) But there are a lot of land parcels tucked away that are owned by out-of-towners and even out-of-staters.

My bottom line would be, if the landowner says no, posting doesn't matter. And if the landowner is finding my trail camera, I did a poor job of of placing it.

13-Aug-23
Just for instance, a couple parcels of land near here are owned by a development company in New Jersey, the property next to them is owned by a religious order in Quebec. If I decide to check them out I'll look for posted signs, but I won't bother asking! (And it would not surprise me if some smartass local has posted them illegally...)

13-Aug-23
In CT Landowner permission is required to hunt private property. Deer and Turkey require Written Permission (which must be carried with you). With state such as NH and ME, I thought the law said 'hunting', which I guess MIGHT or MIGHT NOT include placing stands and cameras.

13-Aug-23
Can’t use might or might not to describe a law Ace. It either is or it isn’t. I personally don’t do it (hunt private at a residence where I know people live or use the land without permission or hang cameras) but if it’s not “breaking the law” than he’s find and dandy. I’ve had people I had permission from ask me to not hang cameras because they enjoy walking in the woods etc etc.

13-Aug-23
In NH and Maine if land is not posted or a landowner has not specifically told you to stay off, then it is permissible to be on that property. You can hunt it, fish, hike ect. While on the property you are not allowed to cut or damage any part of any tree without written permission. The camera and tree stand bills were just signed into law by the Governor, it takes effect Jan 1, 2024. It requires written permission to place a game camera on the property, and the camera must have your name and address on it. Tree stands must now have your name and address on them, and there are specific time periods when they can be deployed.

David

• Sitka Gear