Willieboat 28-Aug-23
Goelk 28-Aug-23
HDE 29-Aug-23
goelk 29-Aug-23
Pop-r 29-Aug-23
flybyjohn 05-Sep-23
HDE 05-Sep-23
28-Aug-23
How far elk travel from feeding area to bedding area in sage brush and pinions. Ive never come across where there bedding. Always hunting North Face when wind is right. Ive even set up before sunrise from a high point to glass .

28-Aug-23
sorry to say there is no one answer to your question. way too many variables. as for hunting the north face, that is one of a few theories that in my experience is seldom beneficial on its own. again, there are variables and while it is a consideration to the larger puzzle, it's not something i focus on solely.

i know an area of high desert with sage brush and junipers where elk travel a few miles from bedding to feed and water.

28-Aug-23
Sometimes 3 miles or more. Have seen it many times on a daily basis, especially in open country.

28-Aug-23
Anywhere from not that far to a long damn ways IME. No one answer.

28-Aug-23
Yup, definitely not a single answer. I've seen elk never leave their feeding areas, and I've seen them travel up to 3 miles from feeding to bedding.

Matt

28-Aug-23
Seem them travel over 6 miles in open country and as little as 1/2 mile.

28-Aug-23
In the area I never see a herd of elk moving thru but plenty of tracks and game trails but nothing coming back on the same trails. All going in one direction North to lower elevation. makes me think they are moving to eat but i cannot find tracks coming back up. Tens miles up on the same ridge there are heavy timber. i did once follow the tracks and bump some elk on the southern side mid day. I know there many variables why elk move and i guess that's why its called hunting.

28-Aug-23

28-Aug-23
When rutting hard they will move less with no pressure

28-Aug-23
I’ve chased them 5+ miles dogging a herd to bed and I’ve watched them bed in the meadow they fed in all night. I’ve chased them mostly uphill to bed but I’ve also chased them downhill to bed. And the same herd of elk will change patterns on any given day no matter how consistently they’ve been patterned..,

28-Aug-23
It's not about one source of water or bedding areas, it's about numerous water sources and many bedding areas and where and why they are at any given point of time. Like others have eluded to, the variables are many. To pattern and learn their tendencies in a particular area takes looking at a much larger picture and a lot of on the ground reconnaissance. It also helps to have general knowledge of elk, things like, what elk like to do, what they do when threatened, what they like to eat. This general knowledge shortens the curve when scouting areas you haven't been to or don't know well.

28-Aug-23
Pretty common to watch them go 5-6 miles in some of the open country I hunt.

28-Aug-23
Thanks for your input and I have some ideas where to look now.

29-Aug-23
Depends on what human interaction they have...

29-Aug-23
I'm going to guess there will be lots of human interaction because of all the ATV trails everywhere. I know they head to private when push but i never see anybody in the woods. They are driving up and down the trails all the time

29-Aug-23
I've heard guys say they've hunted elk that move up to 15 miles between daylight and noonish.

05-Sep-23
I have elk in my area that seam to do a large loop. Not sure where they are when they are not where I am but on the game cameras, they will stay in this area for a day or two and then be gone for a few days and then they are back again. Makes me think they run a big loop and just hang out in areas for a few days at a time. Then on to the next location.

05-Sep-23
"I've heard guys say they've hunted elk that move up to 15 miles between daylight and noonish."

Have hunted elk in UT on public ground that didn't go more than 200 yds from daylight to dusk without traveling more than that in between days for 3 days. 1-1/2 miles back in uphill both ways :^)

• Sitka Gear