nijimasu 15-Sep-23
Grey Ghost 15-Sep-23
Catscratch 15-Sep-23
BTM 17-Sep-23
14-Sep-23

Tilzbow's Link
Glad they got caught. Freaking idiots.

14-Sep-23
You're gonna see more and more of this...

14-Sep-23
Yep...The Eternal Law of Retribution can not be avoided. Serves 'em right.

14-Sep-23

YZF-88's Link
Pfft. Amateurs. They should've used helicopters like their neighbors in Utah this year.

14-Sep-23
What would make you think they are looking for game ? Not saying they are not just wondering what your tip off was

14-Sep-23
“ They just thought they wouldn’t get caught and now they’re stuck with some pretty steep fines and penalties.”

Not steep enough.

14-Sep-23
I'm sure there used some where daily. For me target practice. And. Yes illegal to shoot down, but prove it was my bullet.

14-Sep-23
Man, what a bunch of idiots.

14-Sep-23
I hate the fact that someone is always recording. In these instances it comes in handy.

14-Sep-23
I have a whole box of drone loads for my 12 ga shotgun. My cousin was aiming his Henry lever action rifle at a drone last year when he realized it was and electric company drone. He said it was real loud and came right by his tree stand.

14-Sep-23
I think this is going to be an increasing problem that is hard to police. Hope they have stuff penalties if caught

14-Sep-23
Father and son....mom must so proud.

14-Sep-23
I think the penalties are really stiff if you shoot a drone down. Especially one that some city town municipality utility co. Is operating

Im not an expert on knowing the difference between a private drone or government , law enforcement or some business drone. The one we own looks like all the others I have seen

But I'm sure lots of you guys know what to look for

14-Sep-23
Lol ( I Never Poled that trigger )

14-Sep-23
Did authorities ever figure out who was flying the drones at night over eastern Colorado and Nebraska a few years ago? That story seemed to fade away without any resolve.

Matt

15-Sep-23
^^^ Was probably the authorities flying them.

15-Sep-23
That may be true, Catscratch. Eyewitness said they were large commercial drones that were flying in grid-like patterns, as if doing some sort of mapping. The FAA records showed no night flying permits were issued for the areas where they were spotted, which made the drone flights illegal. The story just faded away as quickly as it came on, without any resolve.

Matt

15-Sep-23
I saw a air drone while hunting for the first time probably over 20 years ago. On the border of private and public land (Refuge open to archery only). Damn sure looked like a UFO. Paralleled the property line til it was obvious the operator saw me make a turn towards the hunt area. Then flew really low to the ground along a row of corn stalks . Just a hint of light that time of day but I saw it pretty good.

Someone was probably trying to push the deer off of one property to another, typical BS.

About the same time there was a well-publicized deer removal (via archery) going on back in the cities. Reports were using a chopper to cover the protests by the antis and hunt activity. One of the Sheriffs called the TV station and told them to back off or they would be charged with hunter harassment. That is illegal in all 50 states due to the efforts of US Sportsman's Alliance. My suggestion is if you see drones in your hunt area call the authorities. Personally, if I see one over my place, I am calling the local Sherriff as well.

15-Sep-23
What are the laws in various states about pushing animals with drones? Obviously in Nevada what these guys did was considered harassing wildlife, but I'm not sure which of the three charges covered that part- and are all state's rules the same? these guys were boneheads because they ended up shooting the deer in a unit they had no tag for, but would they have been as busted if they hadn't? Would they have been as busted if they had pushed the deer but waited a day to kill the deer? I guess I'm just wondering how specific the drone/poaching laws are in each of y'all's states-

15-Sep-23
Here's Colorado's law pertaining to using drones for hunting:

"It shall be unlawful to use a drone to look for, scout, or detect wildlife as an aid in the hunting or taking of wildlife.

1. For the purposes of this regulation, drone shall be defined as including, without limitation, any contrivance invented, used or designed for navigation of, or flight in the air that is unmanned or guided remotely. A drone may also be referred to as “Unmanned Aerial Vehicle” (UAV) or “Unmanned Aerial Vehicle System” (UAVS).

It seems contradictory to me that spotters can use cell phones to guide a hunter to game, but using drones for essentially the same thing is illegal. I think they both should be illegal.

Matt

15-Sep-23
Lot of these questions answered on this link. Against Federal regulations to harass wildlife. I think states can add their own penalties in addition to. Probably more to it if someone wants to read the whole thing.

https://ksoutdoors.com/Outdoor-Activities/Unmanned-Aircraft-Vehicles-UAV

17-Sep-23
I'd think long and hard before blasting away at a drone -- even on my own land. I have no desire to deal with who-knows-what laws pertaining to such an action. Heck, it might even cause me to lose my right to possess firearms. That said, any drone near me will get a very good look at my old, wrinkled buttocks! :)

• Sitka Gear