was within 3 feet of these guys before they warned me
Muleysareking's embedded Photo
was within 3 feet of these guys before they warned me
note little guy to the right
note little guy to the right
had my foot 18 inches from this guy while taking pictures of the snake in the next picture
had my foot 18 inches from this guy while taking pictures of the snake in the next picture
this guy here almost couldn't buzz as most of his rattles had been broken off.
this guy here almost couldn't buzz as most of his rattles had been broken off.
Got into this snake den this afternoon, actually two dens 6 or 7 yards apart. I think tomorrow I will take a flashlight and crawl into the larger one and see what is in there.....Mike

17-Oct-23

17-Oct-23
That sounds like your looking for more snakes Mike lol….I’d wait for ya on the outside hahaha

17-Oct-23
I would check to see what they are paying for live Rattlesnakes and if it was a good price I would load up on them and send them to their new home.

17-Oct-23
Man, you need help! Good luck!

17-Oct-23
gorgeous rattlesnakes !

wouldn't ever want someone bitten by one, but they're here for a purpose and part of it all ...

17-Oct-23
Makes nice skins to back stickbows...

17-Oct-23
Mike, part of the reason I wait until November!

17-Oct-23
not my thing but thanks for sharing. i am not one to kill snakes just because.

17-Oct-23
Cool! Not sure I would be crawling in there with them but, good luck!

18-Oct-23
Ahhhh, yeah no….

18-Oct-23
I'd roll a grenade in there and run! Ha!

18-Oct-23
Damn! I wish you’d find some big muleys so you wouldn’t hurt yourself crawling in snakes dens. Pam asked me why you would do that like I’d understand.

18-Oct-23
Waiting on more photos, Mike!

18-Oct-23
I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor (psychiatrist) ASAP! ;-)

19-Oct-23
Got more pics Ron but was very windy, had to watch my step oooohhhh so carefully. Got to wait for Susan to get home to get them attached since I am a dufus. Bout screwed up.......Mike

19-Oct-23

This is the hole that the big snake was crawling into 2 days ago. It was empty today, but nerve racking none the less getting up into it.
This is the hole that the big snake was crawling into 2 days ago. It was empty today, but nerve racking none the less getting up into it.
There are actually 5 of them there and I was going to go lay an arrow in front of them and come back around and take a picture.
There are actually 5 of them there and I was going to go lay an arrow in front of them and come back around and take a picture.
I was going to put my arrow over the big rock in the foreground but you can see there is a rattle snake laying in the crack and also one up where I would have put my hand to steady myself.
I was going to put my arrow over the big rock in the foreground but you can see there is a rattle snake laying in the crack and also one up where I would have put my hand to steady myself.
Then when I looked around the corner in the hole, this is what was in there.
Then when I looked around the corner in the hole, this is what was in there.
Here's todays little adventure.

19-Oct-23
1969 you would have made a good tunnel rat

19-Oct-23
In 1971 during Lam Son 719 I started down into a hole only to realize it had been used as a latrine and was probably the hole from an unexploded 500# bomb. Reverse engines....Mike

19-Oct-23
Mike, I’m guessing the deer hunting is slow for you to be messing with snakes.

Hopefully you have a few picked out already.

Good luck.

19-Oct-23

19-Oct-23
Nope!

20-Oct-23
Mike God Bless you. Glad you made it home. More balls than I ever had.

20-Oct-23
Those are some beauties. I love seeing snakes and hate when people kill them for no reason.

20-Oct-23
I see you didn’t take my advice........................

20-Oct-23
Beautiful snakes. That's a cool situation. I'd not have done what you did... But I really appreciate how cool those animals are, and enjoyed the pics!

20-Oct-23

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Back in '93 I was up on a neighboring property to the 120 acres we had just purchased in southern Larimer County front range on a sunny Thanksgiving morning, trying to call in a coyote or two. I came around a rock outcrop and buzzing sounded off all around me, some quite close. There were at least a dozen outside the hibernaculum enjoying the warmth. I beheaded these three with a hand held arrow, for the pot and skins, before the others made it under cover. Never expected to see them out that late in the year. My neighbor wanted to know where the den was so he could burn them out, but I refused to tell him. I no longer kill them (I have more skins than I know what to do with, and the novelty of eating them has worn off) unless they are close to our house or the trails we often use.

20-Oct-23
Arrows length is too close for this guy. Perry let’s get a beer and burger while these guys wrangle snakes lol

20-Oct-23
Nope, nope nope! There are plenty of snake hunts in PA and my buddy actually went to one a couple years ago. Got NO interest in watching people mess with those things....................

20-Oct-23
Everything has a place and purpose and snakes get a bad rap. Cool animals. Good on you for letting them go.

20-Oct-23
At the risk of being associated with KSflatlander (just joking, Ryan), I agree with him. Thanks for posting the cool pics, and not needlessly killing the snakes. I'll kill any venomous snake that threatens my family and pets, but not in a remote location where they aren't a threat.

Matt

20-Oct-23
...................unless you are crawling into their bedroom!

20-Oct-23
Wyoming people don’t let them live. I don’t leave them near houses.

20-Oct-23
In the next to last pic, I saw the one on top of the bank and the one you can just barely see down in the V, then this morning I noticed another one in the pic just above the bottom of the pic in the shade. AND THAT IS WHY I WAS NERVOUS. Those little buggers could be anywhere. ....Mike

20-Oct-23
Yep- it’s not the ones I see/hear that I worry about................

21-Oct-23
Hey Rut Nut, I just put 2 & 2 together. Looks like you have had way more excitement than myself with these serpents. Glad everything came out alright in your situation. I remember following your thread about the bite and your recovery all the while hoping for the best. Trust me, I am trying to be as careful as possible after seeing your leg pictures a few years ago, but the "need for speed" overrides my common sense sometimes. You can ask Ron or Randy about that. ........Mike

21-Oct-23
Mike is very careful! Always cautious to the nth degree. I remember the safety precautions he took when he experimented with the Johnson bar and the blasting caps. I almost died laughing. I’m really hoping he survives as the world needs him for advanced scientific thought and pure entertainment

21-Oct-23
Yeah Mike, I’m “THAT” guy................take my advice and DON’T be “THAT” guy! ;-)

21-Oct-23
Mike can never, ever resist checking anything out that he thinks is “pretty neat”.

This guy has climbed into more caves/holes, spent days digging cool things from the ground, or sneaking up on muleys in their beds and leaving an arrow right above them, and then going back around to take a photo of the buck with an arrow above it.

He has to have the most adventures and stories of anyone I know. I only wish I’d done and found half of what he has.

Would love for him to write a book or maybe a long thread here about all of his escapades and include his photographs!

22-Oct-23
Those are some cool pictures.

• Sitka Gear