bowhunt 03-Nov-23
Bow Bullet 03-Nov-23
YD 03-Nov-23
YD 03-Nov-23
Bow Bullet 03-Nov-23
ND String Puller 03-Nov-23
SteveB 03-Nov-23
30-Oct-23
I've lurked for yrs and after seeing some posts on G5 I'd thought I'd share my story in hopes it could help someone down the line. We all know that a G5 Chicago Basin hunt is an experience that is hard to match. Yes it's popular for all outdoor adventure seekers, however the idea of taking a steam train to access a hunt does have a special appeal. I'm thankful the chance exists for those who can and are willing to wait.

I drew this tag on year 20! Short story is I got my Billy! The details in-between, well...... I guess this is why we bow hunt. Peaks and valleys, suffering both physically and mentally, questioning our decision on how we got in this spot........ Ingredients if I'm truthful is why I do it.

Last year I drew my CO Moose tag. Not much of a story other than it ended up being a solo archery hunt that on Day 1 at 2pm I had filled my tag. It was over. Goat, turns out, in Chicago basin was going to be much the same but way different!

I read that goats can be hard to find in Chicago Basin. Like anything in life timing makes or breaks the experience. Like hitting a baseball, you're either on time or you're not. I've spent most of my archery life not being on time! I'm extremely thankful and humbled when those special times happen.

30-Oct-23
My thinking was this most likely will be the only Goat tag I will ever have in my pocket, so let's make this thing an "all in" or nothing event. I figured I wanted a Billy with a nice coat. Something that is well on its way to be long and shaggy. Season is September 5 - October 31. Durango - Silverton train stops running to Needleton on Oct 28 this yr.

I planned for 11 days in the basin. Choosing Oct 13 - 23 would give me a nice 5 day cushion on the end of the trip if needed and the timing I thought would allow for less traffic in the basin and good chance for the coat I was looking for.

This was high risk choosing those dates. Weather could have ruined my 20yr wait before I even set foot on the trail. However, the weather window we got could not have been better!!! Mornings where cold, freezing my 10L camp water bag. The days didn't have a cloud in the sky and would warm up to base layer temps when in the sun. Winds also were very calm for the most part. Up on top and on the ridge lines could be gusty but I'd say winds were typical thermal driven events.

30-Oct-23
Glad you decided to share the story with us. Looking forward to following along!

30-Oct-23
My thinking was this most likely will be the only Goat tag I will ever have in my pocket, so let's make this thing an "all in" or nothing event. I figured I wanted a Billy with a nice coat. Something that is well on its way to be long and shaggy. Season is September 5 - October 31. Durango - Silverton train stops running to Needleton on Oct 28 this yr.

I planned for 11 days in the basin. Choosing Oct 13 - 23 would give me a nice 5 day cushion on the end of the trip if needed and the timing I thought would allow for less traffic in the basin and good chance for the coat I was looking for.

This was high risk choosing those dates. Weather could have ruined my 20yr wait before I even set foot on the trail. However, the weather window we got could not have been better!!! Mornings where cold, freezing my 10L camp water bag. The days didn't have a cloud in the sky and would warm up to base layer temps when in the sun. Winds also were very calm for the most part. Up on top and on the ridge lines could be gusty but I'd say winds were typical thermal driven events.

30-Oct-23
Looking forward to this!

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
Day 1 Friday 13th.

Stepped off the train and put on the 75lb pack. Food, optics, bow and all the "maybe's" for extreme weather add up quick. We did a steady pace for the 7 miles to the top of the basin. Took us 4.5hrs to reach our goal. We did see two different groups of backpackers coming out. They had said that they were in for several days and never saw goats. Lots of deer but no goats! Of course this got my head spinning. All the same I figured they were not "looking" for goats and the low hanging fruit was not available.

As we got into the bottom of the basin we bumped into another group who were climbing 14ners and enjoying this unbelievable basin. They too had not seen a single goat in 4 days. They were leaving the next day. They did mention another guy in the basin who was hunting goats. This man "Craig" from Steamboat had been in the basin for I believe 5 days. We saw him coming off the mountain to the west and were able to talk.

Craig said he had worked his butt off climbing and looking all week. He had finally found some goats and on this Friday made his last push. He was crushed. He had finally got his shot which turned out to be 70yds on top of the ridge. He watched as the wind took his arrow over the Billy's back. He had to leave the next day.

At this point after talking to 4 different groups I thought this is exactly what I signed up for. I couldn't get camp set and to bed fast enough.

30-Oct-23
Well...... I'm a low tech Redneck..... Those pictures are GIGANTIC!!!

Going to have to let it ride.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
We had the Billy at .9 of a mile away. Thermals made for fuzzy pics and videos.
YD's embedded Photo
We had the Billy at .9 of a mile away. Thermals made for fuzzy pics and videos.
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
Day 2 Saturday 14th.

I had heard and read from many people that most the time goats can be found on the west side of the basin. I was told this year that it was a waste of time and energy to go up towards Columbine pass. I trusted my resource greatly as he had got his goat 2yrs ago in Chicago Basin. But there was something I couldn't shake. From the bottom of the basin it's hard to see the whole west side. A lot of it was simply hidden from sight. I choose to make the climb on day 1 up to bottom of Jupiter Mtn to glass that basin first. For several hours we glassed not seeing anything. Mid morning we bumped higher. Taking the trail up towards Columbine pass. As you clear treeline there is an almost perfect place to see the majority of the basin. Yes, there are many spots you can't see but for the most part we could see west, north and east from this vantage point. It was also now in the sun which made for cozy warm glassing.

From here I was able to glass a large bear ripping across the west side of the basin. My video was horrible as the bear seemed to have been spoked. He was in 6th gear and covering ground quick. My buddy had walked up the ridgeline a bit to get a different angle. Doing so he had picked up a family group of 7 all the way to the north, close to Twin Lakes. He had also found a large solo living Billy on Jupiter Mtn! We had our first customer on really our first day of the hunt!

Being that it was 3pm (sun set roughly 6:35pm) we choose to spend the next several hours watching and learning.

The next day was going to be the day for the effort.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
Day 3 Sunday 15th.

This was the day! 20yrs of waiting! All the training for endurance and strength. Doing hill repeats with 75lbs in the pack. That and today Oct 15th is my birthday. Being able to arrow a goat on my 47th birthday is something I couldn't have drawn up.

We got to our spot to glass early in the morning. As soon as I sat down I put my glass up and found him sitting in his saddle. We had not been to the north side of the basin, so I couldn't tell you what it looked like. I can read topo maps and from what I could tell this saddle is what a Billy enjoys. Plenty of feed and water on one side and cliffs on the other.

I had 3 choices. Right, middle, left. I picked going right as the raising sun could be a benefit coming over our backs. Ultimately after being on top your greatest advantage is going left as you would have cover for 90% of your ascent. But, not knowing that I did what I thought was best.

We dropped some gear at the bottom and started the grind. It would take us over 2hrs to reach our destination.

30-Oct-23
Congrats! On both getting your billy and more importantly holding out til the later part of the season to start your hunt. Most - 95% - of people have to be on the mountain on opening day. If you wait just one or two days, you'll have the unit to yourself usually. It really takes discipline to wait, especially when you have a OIL tag. Congrats! again.

30-Oct-23
Always enjoy a good goat story with pictures!

Congrats in advance and thanks for sharing.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
Pictures never really do justice to what you are doing. I'd say even in person that country looks fake!!!

As we climbed or I should say paperboy'd up the slope I'd go 10-15 steps and stop to look. Of course my luck would have it that during this process I sky-lined myself to the goat! He was 120yrds directly across from us sitting in the saddle. Looking right at us. I thought well done dummy! Way to mess this up!

I got out of view, dropped the pack and worked my way to what I thought was 70yds.

30-Oct-23
Great so far! Thanks for taking the time to do a story.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
Thank you guys for commenting!!

Here is where the lowest part of my archery life happened. The Peaks are high but the valleys are dark.

I had moved around the slope and got pinned down in a rock slide. He was 42yds from me doing what curious goats do. I laid on my right side in the rocks for 45mins. My left eye had a clear view of the Billy but my right eyeing (shooting eye) was abstracted by a boulder.

He had moved into 30yds and began feeding. He was relaxing to the point where the stare down was coming to an end. He would feed and look. Spin around and look. Then finally he would put his head down for 20 secs. Figured there was not a better time. I got to my knees and spun around.

Drawing my bow, anchoring I saw 2 goats!!!! I shoot with both eyes open and after sitting behind the rock and getting up I was disoriented!!! Felt like I had been kicked in the head. One eye had the goat floating off in the horizon several hundreds of yards away and my other eye had him at touching distance!!!

Knowing he was at 30yds because I had ranged him over 10x I closed my left eye, settled my pin and pulled through the shot. For the first time in my life I hit the knuckle on an animal. It stopped my 515gr arrow going 285fps like I'd just shot a granite boulder.

I was helpless watching him run off to the west and to the cliffs.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
I had placed a bad arrow on my Billy at 13,000ft only to watch him disappear over the edge. I was crushed. What the hell had I done! Looking to my buddy who was well above us he motioned to me that the Billy was on his feet standing on the edge. I followed the Billy to the knife edge. Over the next 15 mins I followed the Billy trying to get a shot. He was on the move until he finally laid down on the edge. I was able to get 42yd from him and drew back. The wind was now coming up the cliffs and over the top where we were. On the release of the arrow a gust caught my top cam and the arrow missed high going over his back. I couldn't believe what was going on. I shoot groups out to 100yds. I was frustrated.

I move away from the edge a couple steps and nocked another arrow. This time it landed true. The Billy jumped out of his bed and took two bounds down. From my advantage it looked like he went left into the tundra.

Satisfied with that arrow I turned around and climbed back up to meet my partner who had grabbed my pack. I thought it was over. Naming the Billy "47" because I had arrowed my Goat on my 47th birthday at 13,000ft. It was hard, but I figured day 2 my hunt was over and we would stay on the mountain for a couple days eating tenderloins, flatirons and backstraps.

30-Oct-23
For those wondering my first arrow was tipped with 100gr Ironwill solid. This is the one that hit the knuckle. 2nd shot that sailed was also tipped with an Ironwill. 3rd arrow was a mechanical.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
Where the goat was living and the shot took place
YD's embedded Photo
Where the goat was living and the shot took place
YD's embedded Photo
Where he decided to go
YD's embedded Photo
Where he decided to go
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
We got to his bed where my arrow had hit true. I was standing in the bed looking over the tundra into the bottom looking for 47. Climbing down and following the blood trail my stomach sunk again. Instead of going left he went right. Taking 3 bounds into the snow field and sliding down the mountain into a chute! I climbed around the cliffs looking to see if he had stopped somewhere during the decent. What I saw was a red streak running the length of the mountain into a chute going out the bottom.

Shaking my head the only option at that point was to climb down the mountain and come up from the bottom. Took us several hours to traverse this nasty ground. I figured he was somewhere in the chute, hoping he has gone to the bottom. Climbing up from the bottom and checking every possible spot I got to the part that was inaccessible. I turned the corner looking up and saw 47!!!

We were back on top of the world!!!! Sadly this only lasted for 20mins.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
I climbed as far as I could up into this chute. It got to a point where I was maybe 10yds from him but I couldn't go any further. Fall onto that ice slide and I would be shot out the bottom like a rocket. For the next 4hrs we worked the problem trying to figure out how to safely get to the Billy. I was able to fashion a lasso with para cord and caught his horn twice. We pulled and pulled until the para cord slipped off. We put my chances at 50/50 getting to him safely and maybe 25% getting out.

I was back in the dark valley questioning my decisions and how the hell I got myself into this mess. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to say screw it and go for it. Each time I was about to make that step I could hear my wife screaming at me!!!! Do something extra stupid and my wife and boys would not forgive me. I understand that. But it was hard not to make the stupid effort.

30-Oct-23
"No trophy is worth dying for..."

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
The decision was made to walk away. Sitting on the side of the mtn with my goat only yards away was something I've never felt before. I made the decision to quit in the name of safety and walk away from something that took 20yrs. Fulfilled every step of the adventure but couldn't make the last 10yds. Putting on my pack standing there thinking of what else could be done I took that first step away.

Now y'all don't know anything about me or who I am. What I can say is I trained for this. Shooting, lifting, rucking and doing the Leadville 100 the last 3yrs. I don't take this lightly. I don't know mountaineering and this was my weak spot!! I made a horrible mistake in this regard.

As soon as my foot hit the ground from taking that first step away I lost it! Last time I cried like that was in 2012 when my father died unexpectedly. This stuff matters.

Walking off the mtn to the valley I felt like a quitter. Not only in what I had caused but also in not preparing myself with some basic mountaineering knowledge and know how.

That night was long...... But the next day is where I started to climb the peak again with the help of a friend in town. Hope started to shine.

30-Oct-23
"This stuff matters."

It sure does.

30-Oct-23
holy cow, what a hunt and predicament. can't wait to see how this turns out.

thanks for sharing.

30-Oct-23
Time to speed this up...... Through a friend who did all the logistics I was able to hire a mountaineer guide. I burned through my phone battery, Zoleo and our power banks coordinating a recovery effort. I shot 47 on Sunday morning and on Wednesday afternoon we were on our way back to the chute to recover my Billy. With ropes and know how that I did not have we got him off the mtn.

In the end we did not quit. In the end we worked the problem, blew the budget all to hell, did what was needed to be done regardless of the outcome.

47 was in horrible shape. Shot on Sunday, fell 800ft, ravens got to his eye and lips, damn pine martens got to his shoulder, broke off both horns (will never know score, Bases where 5.25" and aged at 5yrs old) and recovered Wednesday evening. All that and he is perfect to me.

Ultimately I was not able to keep the meat. Worked with CPW while on the mtn and was given permission to leave it. He was very bad. And for that I feel horrible. It was 80hrs before I could get my hands on him. I do feel we did everything possible with what was presented to us.

I caped him. Took the whole cape off the mtn. We don't know if it is salvageable yet. Again I did everything regardless of outcome. Packed the cape and head that was 42lbs off the mtn. Pack out to the train for me was well over 100lbs.

Chicago Basin is different for everyone. We were on the mtn for 7 days. We saw goats everyday with the exception of our hike into the basin and the day we left. When we were looking we saw goats. I will say for the most part they were unkillable. They would be in the upper 1/3 of the mtn in that nasty cliffy stuff that only goats and ravens occupy. However, they are there and with patience, good vantage point to glass (not in the valley) and the physical ability to climb there would be an opportunity over the course of 7 or more days.

I understand 7 or more days is a long time......... Waiting 20yrs is much longer.

Hope this helps someone out there. It's hard to imagine that 47's post will not be occupied next yr by another Billy. It was too perfect of a bedroom. Prepare, train, take chances and work the problem regardless of outcome. I believe you owe it to the beast.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo

30-Oct-23
I'm riding this roller coaster with you until the end!

30-Oct-23
Wow. What a hunt. Smart of you to get someone with mountaineering experience to help with the recovery. Too many bad things can happen with steep mountains and cliffs.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
I'd say I'm not a small person. 6'4" roughly 220ish. We put this guy somewhere north 250lbs
YD's embedded Photo
I'd say I'm not a small person. 6'4" roughly 220ish. We put this guy somewhere north 250lbs
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
Couple photos of closing the deal. Hunting with my boys will always be on top of any hunt I do. This....... is my #1 hunt while being the tag holder. Can't imagine I get into anything like this again.

You say would I change things........ Of course I would. And it starts with my first arrow. Never dealing with or experiencing that eye disorientation is something I could have never planned for. I now know what I would do if I find myself in the spot again.

Thank you for reading and for the comments. Happy to help anyone doing this hunt with what I know. Run what you got and get after it!

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo

30-Oct-23
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

30-Oct-23
Damn! Been there in that unit. You did good! I have two friends who left goats in there. Guys who I look up to. I was really wanting you to get that 10 more yds but death is always near down there and you have to live through it.

30-Oct-23
Amazing story amazing pics. Waiting for the finally.

30-Oct-23

YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
YD's embedded Photo
Picture of a guy physically and emotionally crushed.
YD's embedded Photo
Picture of a guy physically and emotionally crushed.
Leaving the basin knowing we gave it everything we had. There was no effort held back. Though the result is not what I dreamed of........ This was my hunt and it was perfect for me.

30-Oct-23
Great tag in a great area. Great stalk and a fatal arrow. Where the billie wound up was just bad luck. Definitely the right call leaving him on the mountain. Kudos on the return trip! Memorable adventure for sure! Congrats on a successful bow hunt for mountain goat!!!

30-Oct-23
That place must be pretty wild! I'm sure you have mixed emotions about it, but I always tell my kids-- all you can do is try your best. After that, you have to accept the outcome that happens. You clearly tried your best and I gotta be honest, there are far worse outcomes than yours! You kicked ass and took names and have one hell of a story and I'm sure some amazing memories. Many congrats to you!

30-Oct-23
Incredible hunt.

30-Oct-23
Great photos and writeup. Sucks you didn't get to take the billy home but quite the adventure.

I spent 10 days in the Needles goat hunting nearly 40 years ago. My hunting partner had an experience similar to yours on that trip. Was a bit of a downer to not recover the billy but the rest of the trip was outstanding.....including the lady skinny dipping in the icy lake and visiting with her on the train ride out!

30-Oct-23
Making memories for sure. Thanks for sharing the story and incredible photos. I hope to be so lucky as to draw that hunt someday.

30-Oct-23
Kudos for the 1000% effort you gave. Many would not go as far as you did. You sir, are a class act! Congrats on the goat, and Im sure karma has a few other good things in store for you.

30-Oct-23
Sorry it didn't go according to plan, but bowhunting would be way less satisfying if it usually did.

That's a great adventure.

30-Oct-23
Nice write up and life experience which is why we do it. Well done sir.

If you’re inclined a good taxi can fix those horns up just fine. Thx for posting.

30-Oct-23
Congrats on your hunt you achieved what few Bowhunters ever get to experience. It’s to bad you didn’t get your hands on your billy the day your shot him. Great write up and pictures thanks for sharing!

30-Oct-23
Thanks for taking us along on the adventure. As someone who has shot a goat that was claimed by the mountain (in my case, I was not able to put my hands on him), I can say I know the roller coaster of emotions you went through. You gave it everything you had and sometimes bad luck gets the best of us. Congrats on punching your tag and doing something that most people can only dream of!

30-Oct-23
That was cool... congratulations. I'm in to Colorado sheep and goat for almost 30 years... I live thru stories like yours. Ed F

30-Oct-23
That was cool... congratulations. I'm in to Colorado sheep and goat for almost 30 years... I live thru stories like yours. Ed F

30-Oct-23
The literal "high's and low's", good on you for going back and being safe, thanks for posting!

30-Oct-23
Thank you everyone for your comments. Never know how a story will be received. I'm happy you enjoyed the story and pics. Was a bit long, hard to make that story short though.

Ed - I thought 20yrs of waiting was long. 30yrs is WAY too long!!!!! I hope you are blessed with 2 tags next yr!

31-Oct-23
WOW, great story and many CONGRATS on your hard earned goat!

Great persistence of not giving up on the retrieval, I admire you character...

Hope your hide is salvageable, and the skull and horns could make a great European type mount via beetle cleaning...

31-Oct-23
Incredible adventure! Thanks for sharing and congratulations.

31-Oct-23
Can’t ask for more of an adventure than that. Was right there with ya. Fantastic story telling and great pics. Thanks for sharing

31-Oct-23
Thanks for sharing the adventure

31-Oct-23
So glad you took the time to share your story with us. Mountain Goats are such a special, unique species, and a joy to pursue with archery gear. Congratulations on your Goat.

31-Oct-23
Thanks for sharing your story. What an adventure. Congrats on a bow killed goat

31-Oct-23
Thanks for sharing a great adventure with us and congratulations.

31-Oct-23
So awesome, congrats, thanks for sharing

31-Oct-23
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us! Do you think the goat would have been immediately recoverable if not for the icy conditions in the chute?

31-Oct-23
Congratulations on a hard earned trophy! You definitely gave it your all! Excellent job on your recap as well! Sorry it didn’t go a little better on the recovery.

Had that tag in 2019. Recognize a lot of the places in your pictures. And makes my lungs burn just thinking about it…

I gave it hell in the Chicago basin, the surrounding basins, and several other places further to the north but had hell finding any goats! Finally found a few a long way off on the last day… figured it would take at least another day just to get to where they were so pulled out.

I was pretty disappointed in the goat opportunities but loved being in that country and the experience.

31-Oct-23
Fantastic recap Matt and many thanks for taking us along. I particularly enjoyed your writing style and pics - hope you’ll consider sharing future hunts with our community. Your positive attitude, efforts, and respect for the process and animal truly resonated. Congratulations.

31-Oct-23
Awesome write up and pics Matt !!!

Being a rock jock and ice climber from way back, I say I'd have had some climbing gear up in there, but alas, I've been on two mtn goat hunts with others and have never thought of bringing any of my climbing gear and would have been in your same boat :(

Sorry it didn't work out as planned, but thanks for the write up and reminder to have some of that gear closer at hand if needed for my mtn goat hunt if it ever happens.

Cheers, Pete

31-Oct-23
Smtn10PT - Absolutely without a doubt I would have put hands on him Sunday if the ice wasn't there. It was the ice in the bottom and snow on the sides that made it too dangerous for me to continue. If I fell on that ice there was nothing that was going to stop me. I'd been a 220lb meat rocket, not walking out of the basin. In one of the pictures of the Billy in the chute you can see some snow that had been knocked down off the side. This is where I had pushed the limit and slipped. By some act of God I didn't fall into the bottom. It was a message sent loud and clear that I was not to go any further.

31-Oct-23
Thanks again for all the positive comments!

The crazy ideas you have when working the problem makes me laugh. My partner and I went through so many stupid ideas on how to close the distance. Tying ourselves together with 550 cord (Partner weights 235ish). Which would have been rich because our dead bodies would have been attached at the bottom making it easier for S&R. Talked about building a ladder system. Hauling logs to wedge between the chute and climb. Filling the chute with evergreen branches to try to build traction........ On and on. After catching the horn twice with para cord and not being able to get the right leverage I was also able to catch the smaller of the 2 rocks pinning him in. We pulled and pulled hoping to dislodge it. In some weird state of confusing I thought I could pull the smaller rock off and get to the bigger boulder. That smaller rock was lodged into place and had to weight north of 75lbs. The bigger boulder was extra extra heavy.

Having someone that is current and competent with mountaineering skills on the trip is the best idea. Maybe leave all the gear stashed next to the train if needed. That someone could be yourself for sure.

Talking with our guide this was a 1 man job and he was amazing. If the Goat had stopped anywhere above of where he was he said it would have become a 2 man job.

Truth is if I had a good first arrow or if he would have zigged instead of zagged none of this would have happened. Still, I'm responsible for not having basic mountaineering skills and equipment. My partner and I have talked and are interested in learning those skills to be better prepared.

31-Oct-23
Thanks for sharing! This is one of the reasons I have never had any desire to Sheep or Goat hunt. I have a "healthy" fear of heights and this story just reaffirmed my decision never to go places sheep and goats live! ;-)

31-Oct-23
We actually stashed rock climbing gear and ropes off the trail when we went in there to be able to get to a goat if he got hung up in a bad spot… wish we would have needed it!!!

31-Oct-23
Unreal. Your drive captivated me reading this in its entirety! Great perseverance that will be the cornerstone to an incredible memory and story to tell for the rest of your lifetime.

01-Nov-23
I’ve taken two mature billies out of #5, but the most memorable was the first one that I lost in a blizzard. Perfect kill shot but never found him left limping a week later through waist deep snow when my food ran out.

Most depressed/distressed hike I’ve ever done.

Needles aren’t to be trifled with after September. They’ll bite you and it’ll hurt

01-Nov-23
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us! That's some kind of rough country there. I appreciate you sharing the range of emotions, and especially for putting your family first. Nothing is more important than that. Congratulations

01-Nov-23
Great hunt great story. Great job all around. Congratulations and thanks for taking us along.

These things don’t matter compared to lives and wives and sons and futures. You made great decisions in tough conditions

Just for my edification, you mentioned a couple times hitting him in the knuckle. What is that on a goat?

01-Nov-23
Bou'bound - Where the top of the humerus and the shoulder blade comes together. The head of the humerus is what I refer to as the knuckle. Large and extremely dense piece of bone. I was too far left on the shot. Maybe 1/2"-1". I squared it up. I little more right and I miss it. The arrow would have been tucked up nicely in the goodies. Even if I hit the outer 1/3 of that bone I do believe the arrow would still had done the job. Hitting it in the middle simply stopped it. Those flashbacks are awful to replay in my head.

01-Nov-23
What a wild ride man!! I’ve carried climbing gear on both of my goat hunts and luckily not needed to use it. One thing I would say is that having gear and not being proficient with it would be worse then not having it at all. Carrying a rope and some random carabiners might give some a false sense of security and lead to even poorer decisions. Glad you're alive to write about it as death is a real possibility on some of these CO goat hunts.

02-Nov-23
What a read----->

Congrats man,

Robb

02-Nov-23
In your first post, you stated you’ve lurked on here for years. After reading this story, I would highly suggest that you start posting more of your stories on here! You did an excellent job, in both words and pictures, of conveying to us, the gambit of emotions you experienced on this hunt. Well done!

Other than not recovering your goat quickly, I’d say every other aspect of your hunt was a success, the most important one being you made it home safely to your family. Congratulations, sir!

02-Nov-23
Outstanding effort!

02-Nov-23
Amazing story Matt and you have all of my respect for how you handled it. Well done sir.

02-Nov-23
Appreciate you taking us along. Quite the journey The outcome wasn't how you hoped but your raw story telling was on point Way to gut it out and find a way to honor the animal

02-Nov-23
Great effort YD….

02-Nov-23
Hi Matt, I think I met you in Golden this summer. Way to go on sealing the deal. As someone that has been up in those cliffs, I can relate to what you went through. Unbelievable effort on your part. Great story and photos. Congratulations! Charlie

03-Nov-23
Wow….thank you for sharing your story.

Looking foreword to the next hunt!

03-Nov-23

03-Nov-23

03-Nov-23
Thanks for sharing YD. Though not quite the way you wanted it to end, it truly was an epic hunt. Can you describe how the guide got to it and did the extraction? In the photo of you straddling the goat with the guide just above you, it doesn't look like he has crampons on. Was he able to climb to it in just boots before setting up the rope to lower it?

03-Nov-23
Bow Bullet - You are right. Accessing the job he was heavily contemplating putting on his crampons. Ultimately he didn't used them. He was able to access the area above the ice and establish his anchors above the goat. Being this is how he makes a living it was not difficult for him. He did say how he accessed the area is absolutely NOT recommended for getting in there. Pros doing what pros can do.

He accessed it where I had climbed to. Being that I'm absolutely scared to death of heights and standing over anything more than a curb gets me nervous I choose not to go back up there. Figured I was paying a good fee for the pro to do it so I'd stay out of the chute and kept my feet on the steep mtn side grade instead.

I do kinda wish I would have gone up there to watch him, but I chickened out.

03-Nov-23
He asked how I'd like to get 47 down. Sarcastically I said I'd like a rear quarter rope and a front quarter rope attached to the goat. Slowly lower him down the chute rear end first landing nice and slow at my feet at the bottom....... I did say do what ever you deem safe. He had been there 80hrs and fell 800ft. No need for doing something ridiculous....

However, he was able to do exactly that. Set up a rig and was able to lower him rear end first until the very bottom where he got wedged and slowly flipped over. This guy was amazing and did such a professional job!!! I was highly impressed.

What was also very very cool is this was his first ever goat recovery. He was having a great time with this event. For me it's fun to watch someone with a special set of skills I don't have do something out of the box for the first time. He nailed it for sure!

03-Nov-23
"Pros doing what pros can do." Well said and I'm sure, worth the coin.

03-Nov-23
Great write up! Under those circumstances you did the right thing. Thanks for taking us along for the ride! Glad you quit lurking ;)

03-Nov-23
Dang, what a story and outcome. Congratulations!! So glad you shared it with us!

• Sitka Gear