scentman 06-Nov-23
ahawkeye 06-Nov-23
Jasper 06-Nov-23
Kurt 07-Nov-23
BOWNBIRDHNTR 07-Nov-23
03-Nov-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
I’m feeling a bit melancholy this morning……. _______________________________ My Dad loved pocket knives; or it may be better said that he loved sharpening them. The man had no patience for a dull blade, that’s for sure. As much as he hated doing it, I recall him having to throw several knives away over the years after the blades would break off when they became too thin to hold an edge. Prior to coming on this hunt I walked by a display I had built in his honor that I have in the center of my trophy room. Several of his knives were laying on the table and this old Buck caught my eye. A display is nice, but that thing belonged in a pocket…my pocket. I hope to put it to use real soon Dad, dressing a buck for one of the boys or me. And don’t worry, I’ll sharpen it up just as soon as we’re done. I love and miss you!

03-Nov-23

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo

03-Nov-23
Very nice sentiment! My dad had a pretty good knife collection when I was a kid and always loved looking through them. He sold off most of them but let me keep a few that I had always liked the most. The one knife he still has that I will keep forever is his Old Timer deer cleaning knife that my Grandma gave him back in the 70's. That thing has cleaned untold numbers of deer and I will treasure it forever. Don't have a picture of it currently.

03-Nov-23
Jasper, I can so relate to your post! My dad always carried a pocket knife and firmly believed a man should always have a knife on him. Dad could sharpen a knife like nobody I've ever met. I try hard to be able to do it, but my skills are nothing compared to his. My brother and I disappointed him a million times by not having one and needing to borrow his. He had a ton of them over the years and I wish I had a few to make similar display to the one you made. Very cool!

03-Nov-23

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
It sounds like your father was similar to mine. My father would sharpen his knives when they didn't even need it. He always did it by hand using his round stone that had course and fine sides. I think it was just a relaxing habit for him.

Matt

03-Nov-23
Jasper, He sure got his moneys worth from those....

03-Nov-23
Cool post

03-Nov-23
GG, your Dad made that Buck into a dagger!! I have the same knife with much more meat on it. Definitely years of sharpening on that one for sure.

03-Nov-23
Very nice tribute, Jasper. Hopefully you will get to put it to use, soon!

03-Nov-23
Nice Jasper!

04-Nov-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
My Dad's hunting knife he recently gave me, it's a Western L40, I patinaed the blade...

04-Nov-23
Wish I would have gotten some of my Dad's things, long story had a brother that thought he needed to run the show got into my dads head and got screwed out of mostly everything. Nice brother.

04-Nov-23
Very cool Jasper.

05-Nov-23
Scott, that reminds me of getting caught in 3rd grade with a pocket knife. The teacher said “why are you carrying this?!” I told her my Dad said that I should always have one in my pocket. She just rolled her eyes and let me go. Lol

05-Nov-23
Something about a Buck knife that is appealing. My sons and I have used them for years and sometimes as keepsake gifts regarding hunts as well as in the field.

06-Nov-23
My uncle had a handful of Bartlett utility knives, I'll try to find one and send a pic.. they had a black handle, he used them for cutting bale twine.

06-Nov-23
My grand dad’s knifes looked like those blades. He couldn’t sharpen a knife worth a dime. But, that didn’t stop him from trying. He flat grounded all his blades down like that doing just that.

Not saying your dad was the same way. Just reminiscing.

06-Nov-23
My bad, they were Barlow knives my uncle had.

06-Nov-23
Very nice tribute, please share a photo of the entire display in memory of your father. I'll bet there's a lot of stories with everything in it!

06-Nov-23
Will do when I get home Andrew! Great idea, thanks!

07-Nov-23
Very touching! And brings back fond memories of deer hunting and butchering beef with my father.

I’ve got Dad’s original Remington Bullet Knife that he bought in 1938 and used until he passed on display in my office. Very well used and still sharp from the whetstone….coarse and fine sided rectangular stone.

07-Nov-23
My grandpa always carried a sharp pocket knife, my dad always carries a sharp pocket knife, I always carry a sharp pocket knife and my son always carries a sharp pocket knife. Probably one of the greatest unspoken traditions in my family. I always enjoy seeing those old, worn blades. Great collection Jasper!

• Sitka Gear