Sam 21-Nov-23
spike78 22-Nov-23
Timex? 22-Nov-23
Jaquomo 22-Nov-23
Iowabowhunter 23-Nov-23
Timex? 23-Nov-23
Sam 23-Nov-23
21-Nov-23
Wondering if anyone has tried using a paper wheel to sharpen their Iron Will heads after they’ve been thru animals?

21-Nov-23
I’m not sure what that is. I’ve used IWs for five years, and have sharpened them with a Lansky system. It’s not fast, but it gets them super sharp.

21-Nov-23
Hey Dale, you put the paper wheel on a bench grinder, it's a type of sharpening system that speeds up the process, just haven't heard of anyone trying it with the IW heads.

I really like them & have ways to sharpen them, but MAN is it time consuming with all the edges that can need touched up haha.

21-Nov-23
You can sharpen any blade on a paper wheel.

21-Nov-23
I don’t sharpen the back edge of my IWs. I’ve shot numerous critters with them, all pass throughs. I really don’t see the need to sharpen the back edge.

21-Nov-23
I use a Worksharp manual sharpener. The important thing is to keep that 20 degree bevel, whatever you use.

21-Nov-23
Probably a dumb question on my part, i've never used one before but it seems like a much simpler & faster way to sharpen my Iron Will heads.

21-Nov-23
I’ve been using a lansky style sharpener and finish with a leather strop.

21-Nov-23

Sam's embedded Photo
Sam's embedded Photo

22-Nov-23
Sam do you remove bleeders to sharpen?

22-Nov-23
The paper wheels can only sharpen 2 edge. I've been using em for roughly 15 years & their not for everyone. A steady hand & good knowledge of proper edge angle to blade thickness is mandatory.

When used properly nothing comes close imo. Like forget about shaving sharp, more like worrying about slicing yourself while shaving sharp.

Like that broken shard of glass that you know is sharp when you pick it up & it still cuts you , type sharp.

22-Nov-23
I don't know about the Lansky, but with the similar Worksharp set at the right angle, I don't need to remove the bleeders.

23-Nov-23
Todd-I would disassemble the Iron Will, I would think then the paper wheel would sharpen it just fine?

23-Nov-23

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
I shoot abowyer 120 grain. With a long screw in adapter their roughly 150gr. Sharpen these on the paper wheels, a few strokes on the bevel side on the grit wheel to put a burr on the flat side, then a very light touch on the rouge wheel alternating flat/ bevel until the burr flakes off. On the flat side, use as little angle as the furrel will allow. then finish on strop.

23-Nov-23
Spike, I do remove them, I even run the bleeders over the Lansky stone.

• Sitka Gear