soccern23ny 27-Nov-23
TonyBear 27-Nov-23
Glunt@work 28-Nov-23
t-roy 28-Nov-23
Aspen Ghost 28-Nov-23
TonyBear 30-Nov-23
27-Nov-23

TonyBear's Link
Pretty much every adult I know is cautious about rabies and strays. It seems to be the younger generation (with some being furbies in the local school district) complacency with feral cats and bringing wild animals home as unvaccinated pets. Time for an "Old Yeller" remake to get the message out once again?

I only know of one case of an individual surviving rabies. They basically lowered her body temp to keep the disease immobile until an array of medicines did their work. That said, survival is still incredibly rare.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12793199/Nebraska-kitten-rabies-infection-prevention.html

27-Nov-23
How many people have know to die from it?

27-Nov-23
That's some serious stuff

27-Nov-23
JohnMc very few deaths in the US mostly because of the "unsung heroes" in State Health departments, who track exposures and try VERY hard to make sure folks do what's needed to prevent it

27-Nov-23
"How many people have know to die from it?"

I think if bitten and not immediate medical attention with vaccine within a few days and early symptoms begin, it's like 99% fatal... I read a few years ago a little girl was bitten by a bat and parents didn't know until symptoms began then treated... She had a real tough time but she survived and is known as the first know survivor after symptoms began...

27-Nov-23
^ google "the Milwaukee protocol , rabies" an amazing story about an MD who threw a "Hail Mary" and scored. The young lady was healthy and an athlete with physical reserves which helped. She lived but had serious permanent damage. I think if I remember right she CAN walk and speak tho. Still it's considered 100% fatal by the medical profession.

27-Nov-23
Yeah Fuzzy, she is the girl I'd read about... I remember them inducing her into a coma...

I was just looking how long to start treatment if exposed:

"Treatment After exposure Treatment after exposure can prevent the disease if given within 10 days. The rabies vaccine is 100% effective if given before symptoms of rabies appear"

But after symptoms appear,,, not good... Gotta be a terrible, terrible way to go...

27-Nov-23
You're exactly right zbone. I did rabies prevention for the State Health department as part of my "day job " for 32 years. That was during the 25 plus year racoon rabies pandemic

27-Nov-23
What's a "furbie" in 2023? My only reference for this word is the animatronic doll from the 2000's

27-Nov-23
A furbie is a person who believes they are a cat, kitten or dog. They meow, prrr bark, whimper or groom themselves in classrooms and the mainstream is bullied into accepting it. Unaddressed mental illness at its finest.

28-Nov-23
I believe it's "furry" I have two teens and they haven't heard them called furbys. They have been hissed at and barked at in class by classmates who identify as cats or dogs.

28-Nov-23
I’ll bet a rolled up newspaper would curb some of the barking at least, Glunt. Not sure if any of them would know what a newspaper is, though…

28-Nov-23
If a furry identifies as a dog doesn't the town require all dogs to get a rabies vaccination?

30-Nov-23
Yeah Aspen Ghost a trip to the doctor, ehr vet for sure. Sick child, sick parent, sick administrators for allowing it to occur in a school district.

• Sitka Gear