Hondolane 19-Dec-23
Hondolane 19-Dec-23
Quack 19-Dec-23
Hondolane 19-Dec-23
Hondolane 19-Dec-23
Mudslinger 19-Dec-23
Pecks Camp 22-Dec-23
18-Dec-23
A hunting buddy of mine is thinking about buying the 3.0 Duramax and was asking me what I thought of it. I actually don't know anything about it and am curious myself. Appreciate your thoughts on it if you own one.

18-Dec-23
I own the full size and love it, my brother purchased the half ton. He likes it so far, fuel mileage has been great for him! Not quite as responsive driving around town as gasser, but tows nicely. He just pulls snowmobile around in Michigan however.

18-Dec-23
Like is so far. High 20's avg with a 2023 3.0 GMC AT4. Have touched 30 MPG a few times on secondary highway trips (that's the sweet spot). Not as much power that my 2011 Tundra 5.7 had but is extremely comfortable. Pulling a boat and pulling a 3800lb camper mileage drops a bit but is about double what it would be pulling behind my Tundra. I will say I have had a couple of tech issues (failed updates by wifi/cell) that caused check engine light to pop. Emission system supposedly. I also wore through a transmission wire harness (chaffed) within 5000 miles. At this point, I don't have expectations of the trouble free 200k miles I had on my Tundra.

18-Dec-23
PM sent

18-Dec-23
Thornton.

Two of my guides have those and love them. They do not haul or tow heavy amounts. They have been as dependable as the big duramax motors. We have three of those and Love them

Not a bad purchase at all

18-Dec-23
My father in law has the same mileage etc as Bill in MI… he loves it. I love it. It’s a sweet truck… I ordered a brand new F150 for next year delivery but am considering losing my $500 and getting a gmc with the 3.0 instead…

18-Dec-23
We had a Tahoe with the 3.0 liter, it was ok, nice on the highway(maybe 25mpg at best) was not quick by any means and not that impressive pulling our boat. Traded it in on a F150 a year ago and haven’t looked back.

18-Dec-23
Apparently there is a belt that needs inspection at 150,000 miles. Which doesn't sound like a big deal but you have to separate the transmission from the engine to inspect it. Supposed to be an 8 hour job. Not a deal breaker but something to factor in.

18-Dec-23
It’s an incredible motor. Recently, on my goat hunt into BC I travelled 3000 km and averaged 9L of diesel used per 100km travelled, which in a half ton crew cab 4x4 truck with a 6.6 foot box is damn impressive.

19-Dec-23
I love mine. Not quite as peppy as the 6.2 I had prior but it's been great so far. We took it to Montana in September and averaged about 15mpg pulling a trailer with a side by side. Last year the same trip with the 6.2 the average mpg was about 9.

19-Dec-23
That’s a bait hauling work-horse. Can carry it over rough ground to pile it high. Built like an absolute tank.

19-Dec-23
A friend of mine has a brand new AT4 GMC. Very nice truck and gets mid to upper 20s on the highway. I went with him to SD in it. Nice ride. Not sure you will save money on one though. His was 80s thousand with an extended warranty. You can buy a lot of gas for that much. IMO, you would have to just want to burn less fuel to save the planet to justify one. Don't think you'll save money

19-Dec-23
I just bought a 1500 Silverado with the 5.3L V8 gas engine instead of the 3.0L diesel. Compared them both and am happy with my decision. I have more pulling power, almost the same fuel economy, and with the higher cost of diesel it is actually cheaper per mile to run the gas engine. Factor in the maintenance costs and initial cost, and the gas seemed a better package. The 5.3 L is a well established, durable engine that is very quiet and smooth. The diesel sounds sexy, but a closer look meant it didn't pencil out for me. Good luck,

Bill

19-Dec-23
I have owned 20-25 new GM trucks;the 3.0 diesel doesn't make any economic sense. Given the upfront cost,diesel ,DEF and oil changes,it just doesn't work. I normally purchase the 5.3 and have never had a problem with one.Have seen 23mpg on the highway;full size Silverado,4wd extended cab.

19-Dec-23
I’ve owned GM trucks my entire life(family discount:)). A few full size duramax and the rest 5.3 1/2 ton. If I wanted a diesel I would bump up to full size, it’s not that much more $ than 3.0 and you get so much more performance from them. If I wanted to stay in 1/2 ton I would go with gasser….you get so much more for your$$. My full size duramax gets 17-18 mpg driving around, and up around 22-24 on flat hwy without wind. As stated earlier, my brother is happy with his, but I don’t think they are worth it.

19-Dec-23
My cousin loves his. No problems

19-Dec-23
I love mine it’s a horse.

19-Dec-23

19-Dec-23
My cousin loves his. No problems

19-Dec-23

19-Dec-23

19-Dec-23
I bought my 3.0 in 2021. I had a 5.3 gas before and 108k the transmission went out (I didn't pull anything) and 142k the motor went out. So I decided to switch. I drive alot of highway miles, currently have 130k. I've had alot of engine lights come on due to def problems. I've changed a few Nox sensor for the def among a few other things. So far only one glow plug also. Best I've done is around 32mpg and during the summer probably get around 26-28. During the winter it probably around 23-24mpg. I really don't pull anything so I can't tell you how the pulling power is. I'm still undecided if I will stick to the 3.0 or go back to gas in the future as I've had many problems with transmissions in the gas. Last 3 5.3 trucks have all needed new tranny's. My 2015 was caused by a bad radiator though.

22-Dec-23
I also got mine in 2021. I must admit economically it probably doesn't make sense since diesel is now so much higher than gas. That aside, I still love the truck. I get around 25 MPG combined driving. On the fall trip to deer camp, I haul a 16 ft trailer with a tracked ARGO and a big quad and all the gear and food for a week. Total weight almost 6000 lbs. This knocks the mileage down to 14 MPG. It still pulls easily and never seems to strain unlike my previous gas burner. I think a big part of that is the 10 speed transmission it comes with. Shifting is seamless. Without looking at the tach you can barely tell its shifting. I'd do it again.

• Sitka Gear