Duke 23-Dec-23
midwest 23-Dec-23
EmbryOklahoma 23-Dec-23
Insheart 23-Dec-23
Slate 23-Dec-23
18-Dec-23

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Thought I’d throw out a little story about a deer I killed on Saturday morning.

I finally got a NW wind (and a day off) to hunt a stand that is on the bend of a creek on a property that myself and others have hunted for a good while. Granted, there were NW winds, I just wasn’t there at the time they were blowing, nor was I in this stand at all in 23’.

I had worked late at my new career with the local gas company and just about talked myself out of going down all together Saturday morning. I mean, sleep in, watch sports, get things done around the house, have another bourbon… nope! I was in bed by 10:30 and awake and on the road by 4:30 am. Rolling down south with the old 2005 Bowtech, I really did have high hopes something good would happen. Maybe it was the fact it rained all day Friday, maybe it was because I hadn’t hunted that stand at all this year, maybe it was because this buck in the photo showed up on us out of the blue, just 5 days prior? Likely not the last because many big deer simply come and then they go. Never to be seen again.

There’s much more to the story than another deer as well. There’s tracking, and dogs, and being patient, and a learning experience. At least for me.

I won’t stretch it out very long. Just gonna get to it. But do note: my writing skills are that of a 7th grader that drops his pencil every paragraph and when they pick it up, they start a new topic. So, bare with me. :)

18-Dec-23
Ok, but hurry every chance you get!

18-Dec-23
Oh my! This ought to be good…

18-Dec-23
Always enough your recaps, especially since it reminds me of old stomping grounds.

18-Dec-23
Looks like a whopper...

18-Dec-23

This shot is back to the east and looking back towards my entry along the creek. It’s a great spot!
This shot is back to the east and looking back towards my entry along the creek. It’s a great spot!
Ah shoot, I dropped my pencil…

Anyhoo, where was I? Oh yea, on my way to hunt! Strap the safety harness on, throw on the pack, grab the bow, and I'm off to the stand. 40 degrees and a very light NW wind, I get to the stand and climb in at 10 mins til 7am. Let’s go!!

Winds were very light at sun up and I could see my breath rising up and away with thermals rising.

My set was on the bend of a major tributary that straightens to my right and bends to the SW to my left. One thing about this stand is you better be on your toes. Super thick and deer can come from many directions. Head on a swivel.

18-Dec-23
Looks and sounds like a great setup, bring it!

19-Dec-23
Congrats Rick! Happy I get to read about it…..

Please hang onto that pencil. And no more bourbon till you finish!

19-Dec-23
Thanks for taking us along Sir.

19-Dec-23
That's an amazing looking buck!

19-Dec-23
Methinks you need to pick up the pencil again ;)

19-Dec-23
Cmon speed ball, get this thing rollin!!!

19-Dec-23
We also understand this buck could’ve been amongst us the entire time. The two cell cameras and two regular cams that we run, he could’ve avoided or never walked in front of them.

Except the briars grabbing my bow and clothing on the walk in, I got in pretty quiet and was up in the stand ready to go. Bow hanging, quiver off, arrow knocked, pack hanging behind the tree at eye level.

This new stand we put in here in early September for a bit more comfort and longer sits. It even had a foot rest. Although, I had planned on hunting until 1pm and head back to the truck and eat a bite and jump in a NW wind stand on the main side.

The sun is rising. The birds are talking, buzzards that like to roost on the creek are taking flight. I see my first of many squirrels jumping from tree to tree and watch as it knocks off the heavy dew and residual rain from the trees.

19-Dec-23
I seen a guy shoot a real nice buck on Facebook not too long ago. Hope your story has same result his did!

19-Dec-23
Been waiting for another EmbryOK story!

19-Dec-23
Keep it coming!

19-Dec-23

A little back story on this spot… the RED is about where the stand is, and the GREEN is where we cut down trees about 4/6” in diameter a few years back to clog that route behind the stand. It worked pretty good and generally the only deer that got behind you were the squirrelly little bucks that would needle through the cut down trees. Basically, we were training the deer to come out SW to NE in front of the stand.

19-Dec-23

Here’s a couple deer that got behind me a few years back. Was a first for me as I’d never witnessed a buck mount a doe. He ran her in a 20 yard radius for a few minutes before mounting her.

19-Dec-23
Congrats, its a cliff hanger story

19-Dec-23

The action started around 8:15 with three small bucks in a bachelor group coming in hitting scrapes and beating up trees. They all three would pee in the same scrape and then took turns beating up a tree to my West about 30 yards away. The same tree that the buck I end up killing will demolish for 2 minutes before the shot takes place.

19-Dec-23
This is not happening fast enough

19-Dec-23
Around 8:30, the three amigos drifted off to the SW down into a feeder creek/ravine and into the tangles of the briars and brush.

At about 9:10 I heard commotion to my S/SW down in the creek, which sounded like deer jumping in and crossing. By then my wind was very consistent and falling to my SE. If there were deer coming, they would miss my wind by 10-15 degrees to the West.

Looking back down a lane to my SW, I see heads bobbing up and out of the deep creek bank. Here comes 6 BIG horse head does…

19-Dec-23
bigswivle x2 Com'n Rick...it's lunchtime and I need something to read while I eat at my desk!

19-Dec-23

I promise I will finish tonight. Work is slamming me. :)

It’s pretty good, I think.

19-Dec-23
Hmmm, a P&Y tag, never heard of it...

19-Dec-23
Zbone, I am sure Rick made the tag. The state of Oklahoma requires that your name , date and time of harvest are attached to an animal before moving the animal.

19-Dec-23

Scoot's embedded Photo
Scoot's embedded Photo
Cmon Embry, you're milking this!

19-Dec-23
Just like work and hunting balance, there’s gotta be work/posting a thread on bowsite balance. :)

Yes, I made those crude tags years ago. Still got a few. I just wipe the old date off and write in the new one with a sharpie. Name and lifetime license # on the other side.

19-Dec-23
You could wait and give us the final chapter on Christmas morning.

19-Dec-23
I'm going to have to dig up my attention span from before the internet.

19-Dec-23
Congrats buddy, earned! I can wait on the story, real hunting takes patience ;?)

19-Dec-23
“Sooner” or later…..

19-Dec-23
Many times during the rut, when you see big deer from your stand or on a camera, it’s usually the only time you’re gonna see them. Sightings in this type of environment are fleeting, VERY fleeting. So, if they’re within range, you’d better make hay in that moment.

This deer actually gave me hope that he’d taken up residence on us and moved from an adjacent property to find natural food, does, and unmolested area of woods. Where would he would be? At this point we really had no idea. Two camera sightings is not enough to run down to stand A or B and jump in, plus the winds were likely all wrong for stands A or B where he may or may not be. I would soon find out where he was.

19-Dec-23
Okay, back to the morning hunt.

As the big “horse head” does (that’s what my wife calls them) came in and were in front of me about 15 yds, they kept watching their back trail. They nervously moved through left to right and were now staged to my NW about 20yds. I looked back down the lane they walked down and noticed antlers coming out of a ravine SW of the stand at about 50 yds. It was an 8 point in the 135-140 range and one I would be happy killing. I clipped on to the d-loop of the old Bowtech Tomkat and waited for him to make his way to the lane out in front of me which was 20 yds, tops.

As he approached my lane, I was at full draw and waiting for the shot. About the time he got to the lane, he ducked his head down and went charging off to the does, and scattered them. He finally stopped at 25 yds but there wasn’t a shot I liked. He walked off to my north and I was still at full draw. Knowing there was still one doe to my left, I held and peaked to my left finding the doe, and she was not alerted. So I slowly let down.

As the doe walks to meet up with the others, I look back to the SW and see more antlers. This time it’s a 10 pt in the 125” range and he’s coming fast. He marched towards the other does and disappeared into the group of cedars to the north. He will be a good buck next season.

If I didn’t know better, I would’ve thought the 16th of December was the 16th of November. Crazy rut action… scraping, rubbing, chasing does. Silly!

19-Dec-23
All of the action to this point has happened from sun up until around 9:30 am.

As I sit there thinking about what just transpired, I wasn’t that upset about not getting a shot at the 8 point. Heck, he’ll be bigger next year. His brow tines were small anyways. :)

No longer did I soak in those thoughts and I caught movement to the left. The same place the does had originally came from. It was another 10 pt in the 100” range… followed by “The new guy”. They were both making their way down the same lane all the other deer came from, moving NE from the SW.

I’m trying to get a good look of the larger buck but he folds back into the thicker stuff, but still moving towards the lane out in front of my stand…

19-Dec-23
As the two bucks approach, the smaller 10 walks past the tree all the other bucks had took a swing at with nothing but a slight sniff.

The new guy makes his way to the tree and lays into it. It was then I knew he was big and a buck I was going to shoot given the opportunity. He turned a 180 beating up the tree for a few minutes while the smaller buck moved out in front of me at 12 yds or so.

My thoughts are racing, just don’t let this opportunity slip by. Finally after getting his aggression out on the 2” sapling, he started towards my lanes out in front of my position. I was clipped on and this was about to happen!

19-Dec-23
Instead of taking the short route which would’ve put him under 15, he took the cautious road right next to the ravine and put him around 18-20 yds. He stepped towards the lane and I came to full draw.

As he stepped into the lane, it’s as if his hackles came up. Their second sense? I don’t know but his pace slowed and then sped up. As he got through the first quadrant of my lane, I attempted to stop him, but he kept moving. At this point, I had about 5 feet or a few steps to get him stopped.

I hit him with a bit louder “meh” and he stopped. I put the top pin above his elbow, held for a second or so and released.

As the arrow zipped through him, I knew it wasn’t good.

19-Dec-23
I’m not sure if he stepped forward just at the point of release, or reacted at the sound or my shot was simply errant. I can’t say with certainty.

I do know this… the shot was 5-6” up from the bottom of his torso and behind the diaphragm. At this point, I knew a few things. 1.) I was going to have to give him time. 2.) the shot would kill him. What I did from this point would determine if I recovered him, and most importantly, recover the meat.

So, after an hour I got down, grabbed my arrow, and walked the 1/2 mile or so back to the truck. The thoughts of “what to do” were racing through my mind.

19-Dec-23
On the edge of our seats....

19-Dec-23
Backtracking a bit, at the shot he bolted down the ravine and stopped for a few seconds looking back in my direction. He then moved off to the west in a small finger of timber that is on the edge of an overgrown right of way.

Minutes later while trying to keep an eye on the deer, I saw the bottom of a deer moving across the right of way at a slow pace. I was sure that was him, or was it?

19-Dec-23

And a very poor looking arrow.
And a very poor looking arrow.
This is where I believe I hit him and of course my poorly placed arrow.

19-Dec-23
After consulting with a few buddies and internalizing all that had happened and all that could happen, I took the long ride back home. I knew it was going to be an agonizing drive and even more agonizing night of sleep, but leaving him overnight is the decision I made.

If I went after him in 8-12 hours, that would put me in the dark with no way to truly determine if I jumped him or not.

What if I only got stomach? He could live 12 hrs, 24 hrs, and even longer? In the end, I felt it best to come back in 24 hrs to look for him. Plus the temps were good overnight in the low 30’s.

I also tossed around getting a dog involved because I’ve heard good things about some of our local vetted trackers.

Gonna be a long night.

19-Dec-23

That evening, I get ahold of a tracker that came highly recommended by others in the same game. Our plan was to meet up mid morning and go in after the buck. After tossing around trying to find this deer by myself, I felt bringing in the dog was our best bet at finding this deer the fastest.

If the coyotes have found him, it will just be a rack recovery. But, with a dog, and finding it quick, we could possibly salvage the meat.

We meet up with my buddy Aaron Johnson early that morning and head down… and meet up with the tracker around 11am.

Wendi and her dog Zeus had confidence we would recover the deer and off we went.

19-Dec-23

We got to the stand and per tracking regulations, no weapons can be brought in while tracking. So, the bow got left behind. But… we could always go and get it if deer still needed to be taken out.

This is first blood where the buck stopped in the stretch of timber before the right of way. At this point, we let Wendi and Zeus take the lead. Dogs are awesome!

19-Dec-23

Zeus took off with a vengeance and Wendi was basically a sleigh behind the dog. They made it 100-150 yds quickly but the dog kept turning back towards us. We were basically looking for blood behind where the dogs nose was going. We didn’t want to move forward and ruin the track for Zeus.

Here’s some blood across the right of way where I thought the buck had went.

19-Dec-23

Type of woods we’re moving through.
Type of woods we’re moving through.
After a couple return trips to the point last left off, Wendi’s husband, Jake, got a text from her saying she’s found beds and thinks the buck is close. She knew this because Zeus would raise his head and smell the air, raising up as if he’s smelling the dead deer.

We advance towards them into the thick stuff just as Zeus is moving a bit toward the NW. Wendi puts the reins on him for a second and you can see Zeus raising his head as to carcass smell. She then says… “We’re close and my bet is we find this deer in the next five minutes.”

My thoughts were soaring at this point. That was great news!

19-Dec-23

I didn’t cry, I promise.
I didn’t cry, I promise.
Not a minute had passed and Wendi says… “He’s right there!”

You don’t know what those words meant to my heart! After the roller coaster of emotions and the horrible shot I put on this animal, those words were just beautiful!

Apparently while standing there in this thicket (which is the thickest part of our property), the buck was lying just 50 yards away while Zeus was upwind of the deer. Him being West of the buck with a South wind, he was likely just grabbing bits of the bucks scent. One thing is for sure, he narrowed him down and the team of Zeus and Wendi found him.

Let the hugs and celebration begin!

19-Dec-23

There are people in this world that give their all, and one of those is my friend Aaron Johnson. He left everything behind to come and help me recover this buck on a Sunday morning when he’s usually with his 5 kids and wife at church. That type of friendship is rare. I know AJ will see this, so THANK YOU, my friend. You’re one of the good ones. My lovely wife got to make the trip down and up and down the creek banks, and through the nastiest briars too. We’re only missing Tater tot. ;)

19-Dec-23

One of the best things to come from this is that all of the meat was recovered. It is now in small packages waiting for us to come pick it up. That makes me happy.

Getting him out was a pretty unique situation and I’ll touch on that tomorrow, gotta get some sleep. Plus, I’d like to mention what I feel were the defining moments/situations that led me to not only recover this animal, but salvage the meat as well.

19-Dec-23
Congratulations

19-Dec-23
Other than a less than ideal shot, everything else about this story was pretty darn good. Well done and great buck!

19-Dec-23
Way to go and good work on being smart enough to wait! I had a very similar situation this fall as well, almost identical actually and it worked out! Congrats on a fine buck!!

19-Dec-23
Great thread so far, Rick. Congrats on recovering the buck. He’s a dandy! Looking forward to the rest of the story, as well!

20-Dec-23
That's a heck of a unique buck!! Congratulations!

I can see that deer may invoke a few strong emotions, during and after. But that's a good thing :)

We need a couple of side pics!

20-Dec-23
Hell yeah EmbryOklahoma! Way to stay with it. Persistence pays off. Congrats.

20-Dec-23

Can’t forget Zeus… what an amazing dog!

20-Dec-23
What an awesome buck! Congrats Rick!

20-Dec-23
Amazing mass and character on that buck. Every decision you made after the shot was spot on...and you were rewarded with good meat. Very happy for you! Congrats Rick!!!

20-Dec-23
I also used a tracking dog 3 years ago. The best thing you did was not stomping around spreading scent and mucking up the trail. Congratulations on a great buck

20-Dec-23
great deer and story made so by great friends and decisions. nicely played and perfectly done.

20-Dec-23
Great deer Rick!

20-Dec-23
Congrats you made the right decision using a dog tracker. Thanks for posting!

20-Dec-23
Nice buck, luv the rack character and the pretty red hide color phase... CONGRATULATIONS!

20-Dec-23
Great story, well-told & thanks for taking the time. Beautiful buck, congrats.

20-Dec-23
Wow what a great write up. Thanks for taking the time. What a buck!

20-Dec-23

Native Okie's embedded Photo
The reaction
Native Okie's embedded Photo
The reaction
Happy as heck for you, friend. Was glad to be there for it! A great memory made for sure.

20-Dec-23
Congrats! Great buck and happy for the recovery.

20-Dec-23
Wow, congratulations on a beautiful buck and a great recovery of the buck and the meat!

It really sounds like you did everything exactly right after your shot and I'm so happy it worked out for you. It's also really nice that you had the extra help of the trackers, the dog and a loyal friend.

Thanks for sharing your story (even though it took you too dang long to finish it LOL). The pictures and write ups were excellent and hopefully they can help someone down the road that might find themselves in a similar situation.

Again, congrats and kudos all the way around. I love a happy ending!

20-Dec-23
Congrats Rick!

20-Dec-23
Outstanding! Congrats on a fine trophy, Rick- pretty awesome!

20-Dec-23
Congrats Rick! Awesome buck!

20-Dec-23
Congrats buddy! Still waiting to hear what kind of bourbon we are drinking to celebrate?!?

20-Dec-23
Great story and a great buck!

20-Dec-23
Truly enjoyed this.

20-Dec-23
Beautiful Trophy! Glad it all worked out in the end, Rick !

20-Dec-23
Congrats and smart recovery. You did everything right after the hit. What a great buck!

20-Dec-23
Congrats!!! And what a cool buck!

20-Dec-23
Congrats on the buck and making all the right calls on recovery! What head did you use and what was the distance the deer traveled?

20-Dec-23
Kelly, I was using a Victory arrow and Slicktrick Viper trick head (couldn’t move away from them IYKYK) :)

He traveled around 250 yards and had made 7 or 8 beds. He was also somewhat limber too, which tells me that he likely died around the 20 hour mark. That’s hard to say or write out those words because we strive for quick humane kills. But, I hope this recovery can help others learn from this circumstance.

Could I have found him myself, most likely, because I knew where he was likely to die. But, how long would it have taken me without the dog?

20-Dec-23
You never disappoint Rick...great write up and great deer...congratulations!

20-Dec-23
Great write up and a good reminder to do the right thing with a questionable hit. What an awesome buck, congratulations!!

20-Dec-23
Congratulations! This is the kind of stuff that keeps me on Bowsite. Very unique deer, good job neighbor!!!

20-Dec-23
Congrats!!

20-Dec-23
wow...great recovery and congrats on a great buck and story.

20-Dec-23
Congrats again. I was a part of a deer recovery where a similar hit was made. The deer required a finishing shot about 18 hours later. That hunter was using a Grizzly stik setup with a 200 gr single bevel head. Anymore I dont think just leaving them overnight is sufficient, I am starting to think 16 hours minimum for gut shots.

20-Dec-23
So how long did it take for the dog to find the deer? Like 10-15 minutes? Or less?

20-Dec-23
Beautiful buck, congrats!!

20-Dec-23
Steve, it took him about 30-45 minutes. Somewhere in that time frame I believe.

Another truth bomb… I knew the buck had trash/abnormal points on his left side, but when I shot him, I didn’t realize it was the buck we had on camera earlier in the week. He was caught on the same camera two hours earlier and .66 miles away as the crow flies, before I killed him. It was pretty funny when we found him, myself, Aaron and my wife immediately knew which buck it was. He was much bigger in person than on camera. :)

20-Dec-23
Congrats. Seeing 3 ten points plus this buck in the same morning sit is mind blowing.

20-Dec-23
Congrats Rick! This story was a breath of fresh air!

20-Dec-23
Congrats!!!

20-Dec-23
Congrats Rick helluva buck!

20-Dec-23
Any more pics of that beauty?

20-Dec-23
Congrats Rick! Great buck. The story did not disappoint.....

20-Dec-23

Rod, we were so concerned with getting him to a cooler. I just made sure there were a few good pics and moved on. But, we did let Tater tot get her sniffer on the cape. ;)

20-Dec-23
Any up close pics of his throat patch? Kinda looks like it has some unusual coloration there.

20-Dec-23
That is so cool! I love character in a buck even more than inches. Will you get him mounted or euro'd?

Is Tater Tot looking older?

20-Dec-23
This is whitetail bowhunting at its finest!! Congrats my Friend!! Hunt

20-Dec-23
I friggin’ love it Rick!!!! Congrats on a great buck. Great call all the way too. Just awesome!

20-Dec-23

Troy, I don’t have many more photos. But you’re correct, he does have a partial double throat patch.

Rod, I told myself I wasn’t going to mount another unless it’s over 160” or it’s a very unique deer. This one falls into the latter. :) Since he was turned hard right, I’m going to do a mount like my 18’ recurve buck, but right turn.

20-Dec-23

Pic my wife took on the pack out. Too far to drag or get a cart into.
Pic my wife took on the pack out. Too far to drag or get a cart into.
Pic of the broadhead hole in through the lower liver.
Pic of the broadhead hole in through the lower liver.
As many of you guys have mentioned, doing the right thing after the shot, is paramount. Another thing I feel is key is being able to decipher where your arrow hits the animal. If you don’t have a clue, then you could go in prematurely and make it a VERY tough track. My assessment of where I hit him was really close and off just a bit from the diagram I marked up earlier in the thread. I was a little high in my assessment by an inch in reality.

The shot did in fact hit his stomach and left a perfect 4 blade slice through the lower portion of his liver. The timeframe in which he died is debatable, but I feel he didn’t die in the first 12 hours or so. I feel it was closer to the 18-20 hour mark. One thing I do know, I don’t want to go through that again anytime soon, or ever again.

20-Dec-23
Congrats Rick on a good deer and way to keep the balance between horns and meat.

20-Dec-23
Congrats Rick! Great buck!

20-Dec-23
Congrats!

20-Dec-23

Thank you guys all for looking and I appreciate the comments, I truly do. I feel I’m just a hard working whitetail bowhunter that gets to know the area I hunt and takes advantage of the opportunities given.

Another thing I will say, if you’ve ever debated using a dog to aid in recovery, don’t hesitate. They are a great tool given a sub-par shot.

Rod, I did find another cool shot compliments of the wife. :)

20-Dec-23
Wow, congrats again Rick! He's better with every pic. The right side is almost crowned like a Roosevelts elk. That's going to be an awesome set of bookends!

21-Dec-23
Congratulations Rick! What a buck, and thanks for sharing the story!!

21-Dec-23
Nice hunt and write up! Great looking buck!

22-Dec-23
Wow, wicked buck, congrats Rick

22-Dec-23
Congrats on the buck. Congrats on the decisions you made. Congrats on the telling of a great story!

I taught high school English for thirty three years. Rick, you do not write like a seventh grader! That was the only thing you were wrong about!!! ( notice I ended the last sentence with a preposition).

22-Dec-23
Congrats on a hell of a deer! Watching the dogs work a blood trail was an amazing experience. The one time I had to use a dog, I couldn't believe how easily the dog found my deer, there is ZERO chance I would have found it without its help.

22-Dec-23
Good stuff! Thanks for the story, Rick. And congrats on a great buck.

22-Dec-23
Nice, congrats!

23-Dec-23
Nice write-up and congrats on another fine deer.

23-Dec-23
Congrats again, Rick! Thanks to AJ for keeping our text group in the loop as the whole story played out. It was great to read all the details in a really well told recap!

23-Dec-23
Thank you all, I do appreciate your comments, and none taken lightly.

The primary reason I wanted to highlight this hunt was to maybe help someone else out. This is the first buck that I’ve hit in the guts since I started bowhunting in 1992. I was fortunate to see immediately where I hit him and assess quickly what needed to be done. The thoughts flooded my brain about what to do and making the right call. Even to the point of hashing out old threads from bowsite and other reads about doing the right thing. I knew what to do.

Getting my arrow and walking the opposite way was 100% the right decision. Was there thoughts of advancing forward and looking for blood? You bet! Intuition took over and led me to my truck and back to the house. I’m not gonna lie, it was tough.

Lastly, I just want people to learn from what I went through. If it had been a heart/lung and down in 50-100 yds, I would’ve put a pic on the meat pole thread. And… if tracking dogs are legal in your area, DO NOT hesitate to utilize one. They are a great asset.

Merry Christmas and hope you all have the year of your life in 24’.

23-Dec-23
Agree with everyone on this Rick. Great write up and beautiful buck. You are another one of the "respected" ol-timers here on B.S.

23-Dec-23
Congratulations

• Sitka Gear