Ksgobbler 22-Feb-24
Cazador 22-Feb-24
Matte 22-Feb-24
Buckdeer 22-Feb-24
Thornton 22-Feb-24
22-Dec-23

JTreeman's embedded Photo
Just got an email from KDWP telling me they are going to a draw system for all NR turkey tags next season. I had not heard anything about it. So I guess a little heads up for other guys who may not have known.

—Jim

22-Dec-23

sitO's Link

22-Dec-23
Glad they are finally doing something in addition to eliminating the fall seasons. I have access to a couple of prime pieces with birds but not near the numbers that existed in the past. I haven’t shot a spring turkey in 3+ years. The population just doesn’t support it.

22-Dec-23

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Here’s the quotas Jim. Not that they really matter at this point because who knows who will apply for what. Though Unit 1 could be tough if there’s a bunch of Colorado boys that like to sneak across the line.

22-Dec-23
Thanks for the heads up. I normally pick a tag up when I plan on hunting deer the same year.

22-Dec-23
The fall season was completely eliminated this year as well Cazador.

22-Dec-23
Thanks KB. I was kinda wondering that but have not looked deep enough. I generally hunt 5 at a buddies place. But numbers have been so low last few years I have only been up once or twice. I’m all for it, even if I don’t get to hunt.

Probably gonna be some surprised/disappointed guys when they go in to Walmart to buy those tags and can’t get them the day before the opener!

—Jim

22-Dec-23
@Sito meaning if I’m going to apply for a deer, I have to buy license etc, I might as well head over for turkeys in the spring.

Not sure these days as though, , as the bird numbers in my area have went from hundreds to toast. I can confirm that. I Actually have some good turkey stuff in CO, so maybe just stick to the deer. It does give me a reason to scout a bit in the spring but Incan do that in January just as easy.

22-Dec-23
I’m sure there will be some surprises.

One other note. I’m not 100% on this but there’s no language in the regs about landowner preference. So if you’re a NR landowner/tenant or NR relative of a KS landowner you’re in the same boat as everyone else. No workarounds like the deer program.

22-Dec-23

KB, there was a note in the email I received about that. Looks NR/tenants can still get tags OTC.

—Jim

22-Dec-23
Ah, ok. Not surprisingly, that isn’t on the website or reg book.

By their definition though, a tenant is someone actively engaged in the farming and/or ranching on at least 80 acres. So that would still disqualify many regular landowners and relatives. Best to call the KDWP for those concerned I suppose.

22-Dec-23
Would love to see Oklahoma implement a NR quota!

22-Dec-23
Kyle; well presented subject in the podcast. Probably a dozen very interesting data points. I don’t have turkeys within 500 mile, but still a good listen.

28-Dec-23
No reason to hunt them until numbers return. Haven't shot a bird on my property in 3 years. Every spring I have 3-5 gobblers come up the creek with their hens. Once in a while I get guys from the nearby 10,000 acre public hunting area asking to hunt because they aren't see anything. 20 years ago, that wildlife area had hundreds of birds. You can drive from Eureka to Fall River Lake now and never see a single hen.

28-Dec-23
I get holding off on Spring hunting when numbers are low but it won't be a solution. Reducing tom harvest won't fix the big picture. Eliminating hen take, habitat condition and predator control are things that can help.

28-Dec-23
I fully support the state being proactive in managing the take. I don't agree that there is no reason to hunt them until the numbers return. Harvesting gobblers in the spring season will have no impact on whether or not the population returns.

In some areas the birds are non-existent. In other areas the population is doing fairly well. There are decent numbers of birds on my property. About a quarter of what was there at the high point. That said, the high point was significantly overpopulated. We may need to reconsider what is a sustainable population.

It makes no sense to stop hunting in areas where there are a good number of birds just because some areas have been wiped out.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is five years from now when these steps had no impact on the overall population. Until we address the cause, baiting, predators, disease, etc. we won't see any improvement.

28-Dec-23
Thats because they don't listen and got behind on what was going on.I called KDWP 10 years ago and told them we were find dead or dying turkeys while shed hunting and they just said they hadn't heard anything .I had heard the same news from guys in 2 other counties.This was in the early spring so didn't have anything to do with feeding or corn I doubt. Then they make it where you can't shoot a turkey in the fall instead of just requiring bearded turkeys.Population is rebounding good in my area since we are trapping more.I used to have 250 birds in winter but thats probably why they died out so quick if a disease went through the flocks in late winter

28-Dec-23
Glunt- hardly anybody ever shot hens in the fall. The fall hunt was so unpopular, it was merely a formality to eliminate it. All the studies across the country indicate disease is to blame, not the predators that have always been there, even when bird numbers were above normal. I've proven 13 years in a row on my farm predators are not to blame.

29-Dec-23
I agree disease plays a big part but I dont think there is a way to effectively address that.

When you can't address a big cause, you are left with addressing things that help recovery while nature sorts out the stuff you can't. Habitat is always number one & predator control to achieve lower than normal numbers of nest robbers and turkey eaters would be on my list.

29-Dec-23
Don't forget the wet springs KS has had the last few years, hard to get eggs to hatch when they are underwater or poults to grow when they are soaked before their feathers come in.

29-Dec-23
Wet springs? We've been in a drought the last two years. Even when the Corps of Engineers backed up water and flooded entire wildlife areas of 10,000 acres due to flooding, we still had more birds than we do now.

22-Feb-24
Not as exciting as AZ elk/antelope but it sounds like results came out today. Interested to hear if guys drew or not and which unit?

22-Feb-24
I received an Email yesterday with confirmation that I drew my Ks. turkey tag.

22-Feb-24
Myself and my two boys drew tags. Southeast, unit 6.

22-Feb-24
I decided to not apply, too much other stuff going. So I didn’t draw…

—Jim

22-Feb-24
I have heard there were ~1300 people that did not draw.

22-Feb-24
I’m curious if there were any leftover tags for any unit? Maybe they’ll post numbers of applicants at some point.

22-Feb-24
Last year non resident tags in Nebraska sold out in March. This year by Jan 25th all alloted were gone. I know by late Jan the applications for KS unit 3 had exceeded available tags.

22-Feb-24
I picked one up. IF, I go over it will be deer scouting maybe shoot a bird, maybe not. I have a lot of bear hunts this spring so I might not even make it over. Honestly, I wasn’t paying attention. I thought the draw was like Alaska get drawn, buy permits later. I’ll forgo unit numbers. If anything it will be interesting to see if bird numbers are still in the dirt I have a good spot in CO so who knows how much effort I’ll put in.

22-Feb-24
It is estimated in 3 years only 33% of applicants will draw. Things like hunting Kansas are going to only get tougher.

22-Feb-24
It's alittle late the turkeys died off 7-8 years ago and are coming back now.Wish they would have done back when they were told about massive die offs.I don't see numbers like in early 2000s but we do see quite a few last year or so.

22-Feb-24
I'm glad to hear it Matte. Tired of seeing out of state tags on public trying to kill birds that barely exist. I didn't apply in Colorado because of the winter kill. Seems everybody just wants to kill what they want with no concerns for conservation.

• Sitka Gear