bowyer45 03-Jan-24
rebelmdb 05-Feb-24
wytex 05-Feb-24
Tracker 05-Feb-24
Jim McNamara 05-Feb-24
bowyer45 05-Feb-24
Silentstalker 06-Feb-24
28-Dec-23
Have a friend looking for direction in looking for a cow elk hunt in the next year. It would be a rifle hunt and this is the only hunting forum I visit so thought maybe someone might know somebody or offer a suggestion on where to look. I appreciate any help. Thank you Jim McNamara

29-Dec-23
UT archery OTC in a Limited Entry Bull unit that only allows spike/antlerless.

29-Dec-23
What are the parameters? Free range only? Guided, semi guided, DIY?

29-Dec-23
Free range is preferred. It's gonna be a rifle hunt. He bow hunts whitetail here in Ohio but we never discussed bow for a cow. Gonna need a guide. He sees ads for 3 day hunts but has no idea what to do. I guess it's a trust issue , not knowing if these hunts are for real. I have never hunted elk out west. I only chased Mulies and Antelope and cow tags in the areas we hunted are non-existent. Thank you for your responses . Jim

29-Dec-23
Lots of reputable outfitters offer 3-day cow hunts. Some are likely better than others but no reason to doubt the authenticity of that type of hunt. A late season cow hunt is usually a pretty easy hunt to fill on outfitted private ground with a rifle.

29-Dec-23
Check with several outfitters, call them and talk to them on the phone and tell them what you expect out of the hunt. Ask lots of questions. Ask for references with phone numbers. If they are really reputable they will be happy to talk and supply references.

29-Dec-23
Cow elk used to be a reduced price in Colorado, but now its the same as an E/S tag. So if he's thinking about CO, may as well get an E/S tag.

Wyo has RP cow/calf tags available thru a random drawing

29-Dec-23

HDE's Link
For a guided hunt, you can roughly figure a $1,500 price tag pretty easy. For that and a 100% kill opportunity, have him apply on the Jicarilla Apache Reservation. They'll make you hire a guide (tribal member). He'll likely be done before noon on the first day.

It really depends on what state of interest to shoot a cow. In NM, he'll contact an outfitter and buy a ranch only or unit wide landowner tag through the outfitter. 505 Outfitters and Compass West Outfitters are names you see come up regularly.

See attached link.

29-Dec-23

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Lots of landowner tags available in NM, reasonably priced for cow tags. Worked out well for me this Year.

29-Dec-23
Check 333 on buffalo wy. Late season cow hunt on private land

29-Dec-23
I got this from a Wyo landowner:

5000 acres - Right now I've started a program to try to get more elk hunters out here to see what I have to offer. I'm charging 1800 for cow /calf including lodge, up front. You don't pay for a bull unless you get a decent chance at one. ( 500 yards or less). Then you come up with the other 2000 - (Or 3000) So $3800 for Bull that scores 330 and under - $4800 for a bull 330 or over.

29-Dec-23
Tyler Ferris in Montana could help you out. 406.546.5683

29-Dec-23
Thanks everyone. Lots to check into. Appreciate all the help.

31-Dec-23
And people think $1900 for a special GEN license is "too much."

31-Dec-23
^^^ that's because it is...

02-Jan-24
Exactly ^^^ , as much as access costs, its a real bitch to fork out 1900 more dollars just for tag. 4k for a cow hunt not including getting there then.

02-Jan-24
I’m enjoying this info post. I’m a flat lander from Illinois and don’t have the first idea where to start for elk but do think starting out with a guided cow hunt may be a good start for me anyway. Especially if the price is reasonable.

03-Jan-24
There are many opportunities to harvest a cow elk on private land. But realize this experience is far from real elk hunting. It is like the buffalo hunts of the 1870's. It's fine for putting meat on the table and to many people that is all that matters. It also is somewhat necessary to control the elk herd. It provides extra money to the private ranchers to cover the tax burdens of the many acres they need to support their need for grazing land. But if you want to learn about elk you need to get in their natural habitat and hunt them. This takes more time than money. The late season hunts especially are in open fields and draws for the most part. But the hunts like said above sometimes don't last very long. Spending 1800 for 4 hours of hunting, is way more expensive than spending 4000 for a week of experience. Especially if its in the hi country. All things to consider. It's all what you want.

05-Feb-24
Jim I hope you don't mind I am going to highjack this as well. This is something I have been looking at. I can shoot one in a high fence all day long for $1500-2000 but I would rather not and use it to build a relationship with a landowner or an outfitter to eventually go after a bull. So I am brand new at this side of it so get the crayons out for me please... is it best to go through an outfitter or is there a way to track down a landowner tag? Also I am open to any suggestions for outfitters in any of the western states. I am based in OK so its not a horrible drive to any of them. Thanks in advance and if you prefer to send me a message that is completely understandable as well. Even if you want to send me saying F off and I am bum, I get that also LOL.

05-Feb-24
bowyer45 lots of private land hunts are just that- a hunt. No guarantees. Many ranches in Wyoming are rugged and do not entail hunting over hay fields. Not every private land hunt is going to be just picking a cow to shoot.

05-Feb-24
There are some decent cow hunts in UT. Another good option is there UT cow/spike hunt. Those can be very affordable and have high success.

05-Feb-24
I gave my friend all this info. I appreciate the feed back and glad other have benefited from it as well. Thank you all! Jim

05-Feb-24
Just realize that there are hunts and there are shoots. Talk to the person you plan to go with and ask what kind of methods they use. That will tell you what kind of a hunt or shoot that it is.

06-Feb-24
Look up Shane Scott outfitting in Utah. He runs a great service for both bulls and cows.

https://www.shanescottoutfitting.com/

• Sitka Gear