Catscratch 02-Jan-24
Zbone 02-Jan-24
Bou'bound 02-Jan-24
Vonfoust 02-Jan-24
Zbone 02-Jan-24
Iowa booner hunter 02-Jan-24
30-Dec-23

Zbone's Link
Looked but couldn't find anything here about it and I do apologize if it's been posted before but don't remember any buzz about it here...

Great to see one of those old time attic/basement or garage stored bucks receiving the recognition they deserve... To me it looks more impressive than Milo's...

"A 60-year-old buck is the new PA record typical whitetail"

"Frederick Kyriss shot the 14-point buck, which measured 202 7/8 inches according to the Boone & Crockett scoring system, in Montgomery County some time in the 1960s. He had the skull with antlers attached mounted in his garage for decades without ever having it measured"

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/outdoors/a-60-year-old-buck-is-the-new-pa-record-typical-whitetail/article_e6280d7e-7647-11ec-b91d-0f885017ff17.html

Quite a story how it changed hands and finally was officially scored... Guess it hangs at Pro Bass in MO...

30-Dec-23

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Oops, forgot a photo...

Here is a link to NAWT article:

https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/editorial/pennsylvania-greatest-buck-of-all-time-number-8-typical/390283

Here is a youtube short:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8pK5P23YUqc

30-Dec-23
That rack is insane!

30-Dec-23
I remember measuring that at panel. Impressive antlers for sure.

01-Jan-24
Crazy!

Congrats to the hunter!!

Mark

01-Jan-24
Makes you think how many other giants are sitting in a barn or garage out there. My father shot a big 16pt typical in the early 60's in Michigan. The rack was lying around the shed for years. I dont know what ever happened to it.

01-Jan-24
WOw, and "in" his garage. Reason for antlers looking so good.

01-Jan-24
Incredible buck!

01-Jan-24
I think I remember seeing that story. Very impressive. Anyone know how many inches could be lost drying out for so long in a garage? Would it only be a couple of inches or would it be several?

01-Jan-24
Tobywon……..my guess would be several. I killed my biggest whitetail several years back, and I green scored it at 196” (gross) Had it officially scored a little over a year later, and it grossed 191”. I also measured it myself after it had been officially scored, and I came up within 1/2” of what the official scorer’s measurement was, so I’m confident that my initial score was pretty accurate. It wouldn’t surprise me if that PA. buck lost 5”-8” from shrinkage, especially after 50-60 years!

I’m wondering if the short tine on the right antler was considered the G2, or is it an abnormal point? Also, agree with zbone about the rack being more impressive than the Hanson buck. Incredible buck!

01-Jan-24
Give it a week and someone will say they had it on camera 4 weeks ago outside Allentown and then it just disappeared. Investigation coming.

01-Jan-24
Can you imagine spotting that buck 400y away ….and then having him finally walk past your tree?

01-Jan-24
Interesting t-roy. Thanks for sharing. That rack could then be pushing close to the Hanson buck. It’s only about 11 inches shorter.

01-Jan-24
I don’t believe it shrank much….antlers do not shrink as much as people believe. Inside spread is the one thing that changes a bit…..especially if the skull cap is cut short.

01-Jan-24
What a monster, especially for PA

01-Jan-24

Grey Ghost's Link
I doubt that rack shrunk more than 1-2".

The link above is a good thread about antler shrinkage from Taxidermy.net. Note the comments by the contributor named Wayne, who is an official scorer for P&Y, B&C, and Buckmasters.

Matt

01-Jan-24
"wondering if the short tine on the right antler was considered the G2, or is it an abnormal point?"

Yeah t-roy, me wondering the same thing too...

01-Jan-24
I just went back to the NAWT article and they show the score sheet attached indicating 5-4/8" abnormal points so assume the spur off the right G2 and the sticker off the left G2 are the abnormal points...

01-Jan-24
Yep, sheet shows G2's as 12 and 13 inches. That little one is a "kicker".

01-Jan-24
Milo's and this buck's rack are very, very impressive, but if looking at them side by side wonder which one is more impressive?

Once attending a deer/turkey show where they had replicas of both the Hone-In-The-Horn Buck and the WR Missouri Monarch Buck setting across from each other and to me the Hone-In-The-Horn Buck was more impressive...

02-Jan-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo

Zbone's Link
After further review, a little more investigation reveals it was B&C panel judged in 2022 and they scored the second right point (the short one) as the G2 (thanks BOHNTR) and the left G6 is not a wash and the revised score is actually higher and it is now #4 all time B&C... Found this on B&C website:

"The buck initially scored 202-7/8, but at the 31st Big Game Awards Judges Panel the score was revised. The buck’s official score now sits at 204-6/8 points, securing its place as the number four typical whitetail of all time and the largest typical ever recorded for Pennsylvania"

"https://www.boone-crockett.org/long-lost-whitetail-state-record-pennsylvania"

Here is a link to the B&C score sheet:

"https://www.boone-crockett.org/scorechart/57056"

02-Jan-24
How can it be proven that was actually a PA deer ?

02-Jan-24
From B&C link provided above:

"hunting near the Graterford Prison, roughly 30 miles northwest of Philadelphia. Kyress owned a farm there, and sometime between 1958 and 1962 this buck was making a dash across the farm"

In all honesty without witnesses and/or photos and before trail-cams how any buck back in the day be absolutely 100% positive of kill location, same goes for the Hole-In-The-Horn buck and the Jordon buck and probably boo-coo others...

Would only assume B&C investigated before panel judging and accepting...

02-Jan-24
My comment above on if the G2 was a kicker or not was based on a different score sheet that I don't see posted anymore. Based on Zbone's score sheet I have to change that answer.

My opinion is that this buck is more "impressive" looking than the Milo buck. It's kind of crazy to look at racks first then scores. Oftentimes a deer I would pass outscores a deer I'd shoot in a heartbeat.

02-Jan-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Catscratch - Link to the Kyress Buck first scorecard:

https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/editorial/pennsylvania-greatest-buck-of-all-time-number-8-typical/390283

Played a little with pix to stare and compare for impressiveness, and posted B&C scoresheets, Hanson Buck on left, Kyress Buck on right...

02-Jan-24
No difference. Similar to asking, would you rather have someone give you one bag with $1 million in it or two bags with a half million in each?

02-Jan-24
Oh great. Thanks zbone. Now everyone is going to be coming to PA instead of IA for the chance at a Booner.

02-Jan-24
If it helps keep them out of Ohio...8^)))

02-Jan-24
They need to have a new scoring system based on impressiveness.

• Sitka Gear