CTBobcat 23-Jan-24
pirogue 23-Jan-24
Kurt 23-Jan-24
Matt 23-Jan-24
Matt 23-Jan-24
Blood 23-Jan-24
longsprings 30-Jan-24
03-Jan-24
Pelican or SKB and what model? For airline travel, I'm looking for one that carries 1 compound bow and arrows, etc. Thanks.

03-Jan-24
I’ve flown with both … the SKB is the more substantial case. The tradeoff is the weight. Either one will do.

03-Jan-24
SKB double case

03-Jan-24
For one bow, my pelican. My SKB is a double bow which is nice. Pack clothes and other items.

03-Jan-24
I have only used an SKB double, and it’s been on at least a dozen flights. No problems at all.

03-Jan-24
Thanks guys. The SKB double holds arrows too? Looks like different stores have different SKB double bow models? Maybe made just for those particular stores?

EDIT: even the SKB website has like 10 different "double bow" cases.

03-Jan-24
I prefer the Badlands, Terra Glide so no one knows I’m a Bowhunter. In addition to my bow and all accessories I can also pack clothes and boots. I’m into easy peasy airport travel.

03-Jan-24
Skb. Mine has been on horses, snowmobiles, sleds, boats, commercial planes, float planes, bush planes, atvs, truck beds.

Rugged as heck.

03-Jan-24
SKB

03-Jan-24
SKB. The built-in arrow holders are a joke so I removed mine. I have a small arrow box (MTM) that fits in that space which keeps everything contained.

03-Jan-24
Interesting Charlie, as i have had guns not show up to destination in time for a hunt (canada only). But still like the idea of SKB double hardcase. Even though I only have 1 bow to fly with i can put arrows in a hard case inside the SKB as well?

03-Jan-24
That happened last May at the Saskatoon Airport. I was talking with some other bow hunters who were also waiting for their cases. I got mine went and got my rental car and they were still waiting when I left. I fly under the radar.

03-Jan-24
If you shoot a newer bow that’s 34 inches ata forget about the Badlands case.

03-Jan-24

03-Jan-24
Arrow holders easily modified. But a Slender box that fits there would be great.

03-Jan-24
Up to two bows in my soft Prime bow case inside of a large Cabelas rolling duffel…Ripcord XL they no longer sell. Weighed 10#s empty and holds my 35” Prime Rival, backpack. Boots, sleeping bag with all my hunting clothes around for padding. Arrows in a 3” dia PVC tube. Broad heads in a separate plastic jar with foam.

03-Jan-24

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Badlands Terraglide is pretty much all I’ve used for years. Great for traveling!

03-Jan-24
Another vote for SKB double bow case. I also own a Badlands Terra Glide, but my current hunting bow is too long. When traveling with one bow, the SKB double holds ALOT more than just a bow and it is not difficult to keep it under 50lbs.

03-Jan-24
"large Cabelas rolling duffel"

Kurt, I have one of those, the big green one but it's so heavy, you can't fill it to keep it under the 70 pound limit... BTW, is the limit still under 70 pounds?

03-Jan-24
I’ve used the SKB Double several times to fly my bow. No issues with it, but it’s heavy and bulky.

Last year I bought the Sitka Nomad and unless I have the need to bring a rifle along with me, I much prefer it to any hard sided case. Can pack all my clothes and other gear around it and be under the 50# limit and the bow straps in there tight.

03-Jan-24
I’ve hunted Ak, several provinces in Canada, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. A friend and I hunt together and we both have double SKB cases. Before departing on a trip, we put one of each others bows and some arrows in each others case. If one of our cases get lost or delayed, we still have a bow to get on with the hunt.

03-Jan-24
Z, I keep mine under 50#s unless going to the Arctic where they allowed 70 a few years ago. You are correct, they will hold a bunch!

At my local airport the lady checking me in thought she might just climb in the duffel bag and go along with me thinking I was headed to the tropics like every other normal Canadian in February! When I told her I was heading to Resolute Bay she chickened out…haha.

03-Jan-24

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I used a Legend Everest on my one and only (so far) air travel for hunting. Worked great and could put quite a few clothes in it. The Badlands Terra Glide was a little too short so I sold it.

03-Jan-24
Another vote for the Badlands Terraglide. You won’t be disappointed.

03-Jan-24
Check out lakewood products.

03-Jan-24
When I do big trips, I fly with both the SKB and the terraglide with my gear split roughly evenly between them. The only time it came in handy was a Kodiak trip where one bag was delayed. Had to borrow a jacket and a stabilizer (and buy bullets for my sidearm, stupid to pack them separately) until my second bag arrived.

03-Jan-24
Kurt - 50# total or 50# of gear, heck the thing gota weight near 20 pounds itself...

03-Jan-24
One more vote for Badlands Terraglide. More than adequate protection for bows and equipment. Last summer I put two bows (Gearhead Disrupter 24") plus all associated equipmet (Arrows, broadheads, stabilizer, tools, etc) and my hunting clothing in the Terraglide for my trip to South Africa. No issues either way. Best of all United Airlines didn't pay any attention to the case, beyond weighing it, nor did the baggage folks at O.R. Tambo airport in Johannesburg. I've traveled in the past with an SKB case which was quite adequate but did attract unnessary attention at baggage check in.

03-Jan-24
What is the maximum bow length that will fit in the Badlands Terraglide? It is listed at 40 inches long.

Would an Elite Impulse 34 fit?

03-Jan-24
Z, the Cabelas Ripcord XL rolling duffel weighs 10 pounds. I generally keep total weight at <50#s to avoid overweight charges. But see what the airlines policy is as some flights allow more.

I have not been charged oversize rates although most airlines could…it is definitely oversize by their standards.

04-Jan-24
Thanks Kurt...

04-Jan-24
“What is the maximum bow length that will fit in the Badlands Terraglide? It is listed at 40 inches long.”

It is hard to say because it is a function of cam size and riser/limb geometry and not just “an ATA of x will fit”. Based on my experience, a 34” ATA bow likely would not fit.

04-Jan-24
I have a terraglide and my 34” bow does not fit. It is a good case, but I find that if the hunt requires a lot of gear, it is not big enough. I use an skb double and a medium duffel.

04-Jan-24

04-Jan-24
I did an extensive write up on the Legend Everest I purchased last year. I much prefer the Legend over my SKB or Pelican. I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a link to it... if not I'll just post on it to bring it back to the top

04-Jan-24
https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=497155&messages=19&forum=2

04-Jan-24
I can fit 2 bows and a lot of gear in my Legend. It also comes with an arrow tube. I really like how the compartments and adjustable velcro straps keep everything locked in.

04-Jan-24
For reference, my 35-1/2” axle to axle Prime Rival inside a Prime Soft Case sized to fit it just fits in the 44” long Cabela Ripcord XL rolling duffel….but is discontinued unfortunately if you want a very large rolling duffel for a bit longer bow.

04-Jan-24
I also use the Legend case. I can fit my bow, arrows (comes with a tube), any gear I don't want in my carry-on, sleeping bag and clothes. Always comes in right at 50 lbs. With my SKB I was limited to my bow, arrows and a very small amount of gear. Usually had to pay to check another bag. I originally ordered the TerraGlide but it was too short for my V3X 33.

04-Jan-24
I recently got a Lakewood case for Christmas. Looks like it would have plenty of room to add extra cloths and the like. Had a few issues so had to call customer service which when above and beyond what i expected them to do.

07-Jan-24
Check out lakewood products.

07-Jan-24
Add me to the Legend Everest list. I travel with two and have a bow in each case. Hardest part is dealing with a sleeping bag, they are round, not flat...

One set of clothes in each case and I'm good if one doesn't show up.

07-Jan-24
Ive traveled with a SKB double hard case numerous times with TSA locks.. Never had a problem...

07-Jan-24
Terraglide everywhere including to Canada, all over the US and Africa.

07-Jan-24
Thanks Matt and MT

07-Jan-24
What bow is the OP taking on the hunt? Plenty of great choices to choose from as long as the bow fits.........

07-Jan-24
IF you don't mind hanging around the oversize baggage area waiting for the SKB or jamming it into a smaller vehicle go for it. With the Terraglide or large duffel it goes thru the baggage belt with no problems and looks like normal baggage. My buddy has the SKB and its a PIA.

07-Jan-24
I’ve been using a cabelas rolling duffel bag for a long time now.

I have left it at the hotel in Kodiak both times as Rolan does not like big bulky bags so I transfer the contents into a waterproof KUIU 9000 and 6000.

The maximum weight is actually 99 pounds not 70#. As a club 49 member on Alaska airlines first 3 bags out of state are free and 5 within Alaska.

I’ve gone to Africa and the Canadian Arctic with it and it’s been great not dealing with the security and the headaches of having a hard case they assume has firearms. I have also taken a SKB on Kodiak hunts to keep the 10mm pistols and shotguns for duck hunting, it’s nice to have heavy rollers on any of these large baggage items.

07-Jan-24
I have a tan SKB case. Never got charged for oversized. Never got hassled. I wrote “Archery Equip” in big letters with a sharpie right on it. I usually can pack it to about 48lbs with bow, arrows, gear and camo clothes. It fits quite a bit in there for a single bow case. I throw two padlocks on it.

Sometimes it comes out on the baggage claim carousel. Sometimes it goes to the office and you just go pick it up.

Yes, it’s big. But I see how they throw sh!t around and would be terrified if I had a soft case. I also understand that the Terraglide won’t fit bows over 32”-33” in them, is that correct?? Thanks.

07-Jan-24

07-Jan-24

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo
My model holds a bow with tip of cam to tip of cam 37”. This is base camp and I leave the Pelican and rolling duffel and have softcases on the shotguns and of course chest holster for pistol.

The green bag includes a 6-man Cabelas dome with vestibule, bear fence system, my cot, water foldable containers and filter pump, and 12 gauge steel shells in plastic boxes to get at 49#. I put cinch straps around the tent bag to ensure it stays closed and all bundled up tight.

22-Jan-24

CTBobcat's embedded Photo
SKB ATA arrived today.

22-Jan-24

Seems awesome. Just not sure about putting the arrows in like this to fly? maybe need a small container to hold arrows inside of the SKB?

22-Jan-24
Badlands Terraglide, or just a large suitcase. Anything but a hard case that looks like a rifle case. Especially over seas. You’ll end up waiting for your bow in the rifle line instead of grabbing it off the carousel and being.

22-Jan-24
MTM, Plano, and a few others, make plastic arrow carrying cases or tubes that will fit neatly inside of your bow case, and they do a great job of protecting your arrows and fletching from damage. I’d recommend going that route vs just tucking your arrows in the foam cutouts in the bow case. Some guys put their arrows in the arrow case with the broad heads screwed on. I prefer to pack my broadheads separately, in a small case made for them. Less chance for something to go wrong, that way, IMO.

22-Jan-24
I've had good luck with the new Easton BowTruk case. I got the 40X17 and it holds my Hoyt RX7 and RX 4 with plenty of room for arrows and stuff. I am able to pack a lot of hunting clothes in it as well.

22-Jan-24
I have the same SKB case. I've flown on a few dozen hunting trips with it. I always pack my arrows in the holders and I've yet to have a problem. I'm packing tonight to fly this weekend. This is how I pack it. Also I take two rubber tarp straps that I use to cinch my duffel to the top of the case when I'm going through the airport or hotels. I ordered a Badlands Terraglide to try out. I emailed them before I ordered it to make sure it would fit a 34" ATA bow. They said yes but it's not even close. I can fit a 33" bow if I go corner to corner in the bottom.

22-Jan-24

Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo
Boreal's embedded Photo

22-Jan-24
Kalispell apparently went of business, making the hard side aluminum cases, but I’m glad I got one. If you find one by that name in the classifieds, check it out. You can put padlocks on it. Throw an old pistol in it and declare as a firearm. I’d much rather wait a little longer to pick it up in the firearms line, than worry about some TSA idiot moving around my broadheads and bow, without me being present.

23-Jan-24
"You can put padlocks on it"

The only time I flew with a bow they made me take the locks off my case and that was a domestic flight only a couple states away...

23-Jan-24

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
If you can find one. Pole mountain 2 bow cases. Have some unique qualities. Lighter weight than the SKB or Pelicans And more protection. They are no longer made

23-Jan-24
Altitude…….. I have a Pole Mountain case, and love it, with one exception. The rollers should have been mounted to where you flip the case on its side and wheel it that way. As they are now, they’re much too close together and, unless it is pulled perfectly straight, the case has a tendency to start crow hopping back and forth, and tips over too easily for my taste. Other than that, the case is pretty bulletproof.

23-Jan-24
I agree with the wheels. I thought about mounting an axle the other way as you said. But sold my Matthew’s and went back to traditional bows. So they go easily into a suitcase. If someone is willing to pay the shipping, I’ll sell my pole mountain

23-Jan-24
The SKB I just got has wheels and only 20-21lbs empty. Boreal your pic is super helpful. I very much appreciate it. What is that Cabelas thing called covering your string? Thanks.

23-Jan-24
SKB for me, can add a bunch of clothes around the bow for added protection from it getting beat up as well.

23-Jan-24
Boreal has a neoprene Cabelas bow sling and cover for the strings and cams.

Mine is black, and works well on my 35-1/2" axle to axle Prime Rival. It was the only brand I readily found a few years ago that would fit a longer compound bow, although that is about the max. They are good protection for strings, I sometimes use it hunting really brushy areas like caribou and moose in the willow bottoms, and always while traveling with the bow in the big Cabelas rolling duffle.

23-Jan-24
Thanks, all. Looks like this arrow case is only 2" in height might work for extra protection https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Traveler-Arrow-Case-BTAC-41/dp/B072FVKDGS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=11SXHT17LNAJS&keywords=arrow+case&qid=1706021874&sprefix=arrow+case%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-5

23-Jan-24
“ The only time I flew with a bow they made me take the locks off my case and that was a domestic flight only a couple states away...

Zbone, that is why I said you throw an old pistol in and declare a firearm. Everyone knows a bow is not a firearm and can’t be locked up, by itself.

23-Jan-24
And in Australia on flights to, within or out the Northern Territory you must have a locked case for your bow. Had zip-ties, no good, had to find a padlock to check in the bow case. Luckily a local airport worker gave me his or I’d have missed a flight. All the shops Brisbane were sold out of locks!

So, travel with a padlock handy, just in case! At least in OZ.

23-Jan-24
“Seems awesome. Just not sure about putting the arrows in like this to fly? maybe need a small container to hold arrows inside of the SKB?”

I just measured the MTM arrow case I have and it is 33” long (ultra compact arrow case I believe). It fits perfectly in my SKB double bow case in the space set up to hold arrows - like it was custom made for that purpose. You have to pull out the 2 pieces of slotted foam to free up that space though. It wedges in between the foam on the left and right sides of the arrow space on its side, so it doesn’t extend too far into the case and take up too much room.

I can get 18 or more arrows in the case, nice to be able to set them up before you leave home rather than not being able to travel with the broadheads in them. Can’t do that safely sticking them in the slotted foam blocks.

23-Jan-24

Matt's embedded Photo
Matt's embedded Photo
They say a picture is worth a thousand words…

23-Jan-24

After discussing these Bow cases, I sold the Pole mountain case to a Bowsite Member earlier today.

Had to go dig it out. Couldn’t remember what kind of condition it was in. It’s been sitting for years.

15 pounds , holds 2 bows easily and other gear or clothes.

23-Jan-24
I’ve never had anyone tell me to take off my locks. I’ve had them ask me to open the case to look inside. And I put the locks right back on.

If you use the TSA approved locks, they’ll rummage through your sh!t and leave it in disarray.

30-Jan-24
I use the SKB double I took out the center foam and put most of my clothing in to protect my bow , SKB backs up damage to bow but I have never had a oroblem. The dings and dents in tge outer case prives its worth. Once saw a worker dragging it on the tarmac wheels up instead of down , wire the edge right off but interior still good as new.

• Sitka Gear