PredatorFromAbove 20-Jan-24
Fields 20-Jan-24
btnbuck 20-Jan-24
bluedog 20-Jan-24
fuzzy 20-Jan-24
09-Jan-24

btnbuck's embedded Photo
btnbuck's embedded Photo
I'm thinking about a new dehydrator soon.

I have an American Harvest (round) one now , but I think It's getting tired.

I process a lot of jerky and dry my own peppers and such for seasoning things. I usually process about 5-7lbs of jerky at a time (About 8 trays) and it takes about 7 hours at about 145 degrees. I also use a jerky shooter most of the time with ground meat (not whole muscle). I like the jerky a little thicker too and I cut the end piece down so I get a 3/16"-1/4" piece of meat to dry out.

When I do peppers (Habaneros mostly) I cut them in half and it takes a couple of days at a low temp.

My question is, what kind of dehydrator are some of you using and how well is it working for you? Is it spotty to the point of moving meat around because of it drying unevenly? How long is it taking to get it to a decent dryness?

I've looked at the Cabela's ones that are Square and some others online but thought I'd ask here for some real world experience.

09-Jan-24
Read the reviews if you can,I have an LEM that is a solid hopefully longtime unit.

10-Jan-24

Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Bluefin tuna
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Bluefin tuna
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Overnight brine, then brown sugar & black pepper glaze, heavy maskeet wood smoke, this is phenomenal
Timex?'s embedded Photo
Overnight brine, then brown sugar & black pepper glaze, heavy maskeet wood smoke, this is phenomenal
Not the answer to your question, "I know " but for myself personally, the smoke is the difference between good jerky & fantastic jerky. Fish as well.

Definitely not a set it & forget it type of thing though, takes constant monitoring. But the added flavor is worth it to me.

I use a charcoal smoker, have intentions of building a cold smoker some day , but honestly an electric smoker with wood chip box is probably the best of both worlds.

20-Jan-24
I upgraded from American Harvest to COSORI Food Dehydrator. It is awesome. Has a timer that automatically shuts off the unit so no more setting an alarm at 2am to check the jerky. Big upgrade from the round plastic trays.

20-Jan-24
I had the same dehydrator as you, the round one. It did its job, but loading the round one was a hassle in my opinion. I just got the cabelas, square one for christmas, used it once so far. it was good. Im not a dehydrator guru, but I think the cabelas one will be good for my uses. I do believe there are better models, from other retailers, but this one will fill my needs.

20-Jan-24
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I've looked at the reviews for several different brands and I'm still undecided which one to get. The one I have is still working so it's not an urgent need yet.

I have a pellet grille for the bigger stuff like snack sticks and summer sausage but I like the ease of a dehydrator for my jerky and peppers and such.

So far I wish the Cabela's one came with stainless trays.

I like the idea of the timer on the Cosori one and LEM usually makes a decent product.

Reviews are all over the place so often you really have to weed through them. Still searching.

20-Jan-24
Amazon has casori and others to choose from. Think mine is a Casori, not positive. It's out in the shop. Know it has timer digetal temp setting and stainless trays, been good to me

20-Jan-24
Following this one closely. Plan to upgrade dehydrators for this fall

• Sitka Gear