fuzzy 16-Jan-24
scentman 16-Jan-24
stealthycat 16-Jan-24
11-Jan-24

Zbone's Link
"Alabama Hunter Bags Extremely Rare Dwarf Piebald Buck"

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/alabama-hunter-tags-rare-dwarf-deer/

11-Jan-24
I would never, let alone take a picture and boast or allow an article to be written about my 'great conquest'. Nope, nope, and NOPE. I've seen several piebalds and albino deer, and piebald and odd colored squirrels and other critters, let em all walk. And no, I'm not superstitious. I just appreciate them and like seeing them. I realized long ago that I don't have to kill every damned thing that puts itself near me. When there's no need for validation, the decision makes itself.

11-Jan-24
There was an area way back in Tar Hollow State Park in Ohio where we would see piebald deer from time to time. Never did try to kill one.

11-Jan-24
This last hunting season in Northern Mn., had to take a double look at a dwarf 6pt buck, my son's lab was taller than the buck but it was built like a little bowling ball, he had to have one hard time to try and breed unless he got up on a stump, actually it was comical.

11-Jan-24
I have some dwarf genetics on my farm. There not piebald though.

11-Jan-24
I bet he doesn’t care what you guys think.

11-Jan-24
I think that is a pretty cool trophy!

11-Jan-24
Cool looking buck. Why not, if it’s legal?

11-Jan-24
we have one for about 3 years now

11-Jan-24
Piebalds are not legal game in Iowa, unless the white portion of their coat is less than 50% of the total, which I would guess this buck would be considered a legal deer. I believe I would be shooting at this guy. Would be a unique trophy for sure.

11-Jan-24
I'd shoot'm, Legal in Colorado. Have pics of albino elk and a Black mulie buck, couldn't get close enough for a shot on either of them. Black mulie buck was killed 2yrs later during rifle season.

11-Jan-24
Let him go, so he can grow!!! All kidding aside, a very unique deer. So if he gets a full body mount, is there a discount?

11-Jan-24

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Back in the 80's I ran down and caught a near white piebald fawn (attached photo) while groundhog hunting with my Dad (long story) and later wrote an article for NAWT magazine published in " Weird Whitetails" edition and while researching learned white deer and piebalds are caused by a form of albinism caused by recessive genes... Anyhow if I remember correctly with these recessive genes sometimes comes other deformities such as roman noses, overbites, short legs and dwarfism so it is not uncommon for piebalds to have these other traits...

12-Jan-24
The long arm photo taking skills of that guy are top notch (eye roll) Amazing how pics can deceive

12-Jan-24

Zbone's Link
Although not piebald, here is another one of those dwarf deer killed this season, this one in Mississippi with a pretty nice rack:

"Hunter Tags ‘Dwarf Buck’ the Size of a Labrador Retriever"

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/mississippi-dwarf-buck/

12-Jan-24
Here in Ohio most would shoot, next door in PA most think it is bad. Odd. I saw 1 piebald deer driving home from hunting once here in Ohio. I have seen 2 that had some piebald coming up there stomach but not full piebald. Never seen a dwarf that I know off, until I saw that article I did not even know that dwarf deer existed.

Cool trophy IMO

12-Jan-24
I saw a dwarf deer in Southern Ohio years ago. (Monroe co.) It looked kinda comical running away.

As to a piebald or albino deer, I'd take one if I had the opportunity. Sure, they are rare, but so is a 200" buck and I wouldn't let that pass either.

Racoon hunters are always looking for a red phase 'coon or an albino too. Is it wrong to shoot one of those? Or an albino muskrat? or is just deer that are off limits?

12-Jan-24
Shrinkflation big time only 40 lbs of meat! Ill pass

12-Jan-24
Only 6 more to go

12-Jan-24
I have seen two melanistic deer in my life, one buck, one doe, and one white doe. I don’t know whether she was a true albino or not but she was solid white. White as snow. I saw none of these deer while hunting, but if a deer is legal and older than a fawn, why not ? I killed a melanistic coyote and had him mounted, full bodied. I was there, he was there, I was calling coyotes, so again, why not ?

12-Jan-24
neat to see but i would have passed.

12-Jan-24

GFL's embedded Photo
GFL's embedded Photo
4 foot ruler! Started seeing dwarf deer 3 years ago. There hell to cull out.

12-Jan-24
Since piebald and albino deer have a genetic defect that often results in skeletal deformities, like short legs, curved spine, short lower jaw, dwarfism, etc.. and they often suffer from poor eyesight and are more susceptible to predation, I don't understand why some states protect them, and some hunters won't shoot them. It seems like it would be best to cull them from the population.

Matt

12-Jan-24
X2 GG

12-Jan-24
To each their own. I think it’s pretty dam unique and wouldn’t hesitate to put it down. I’d say culling them from the population would be beneficial to heard health as well.

12-Jan-24
Yep, i have several on my two properties in SC .Got one doe that is 5.5 years old at least. I will shoot if i can ever see in person. Pretty elusive. People all over SC say they are genetically inferior.

12-Jan-24
I agree 100% with Jeff Durnell's post and I also would let it walk. The possibility of seeing it more times and the idea of others getting to see it (alive) would sit better with me than killing it and having it mounted in my basement. But to each their own as also previously mentioned. Cool little deer.

14-Jan-24

Keadog's embedded Photo
Keadog's embedded Photo
Keadog's embedded Photo
Another view
Keadog's embedded Photo
Another view
November 1998 in our back yard. I was a partner in a large group at the time. We had our own billing office that I think I was in once or twice, so I only knew the office manager. At our Christmas party that year one of the ladies that worked in the office came up to me and said "I heard you shot our spotted deer." It turned out she lived about 3 miles from me and this guy had been coming into the bird feeder for SEVEN years. He was small with the overbite, etc. The symmetry of the coat pattern is pretty remarkable. Oh, Ohio so 100% legal. We built this corner platform for him when we moved and built a new house.

16-Jan-24
Jeff Durnell I appreciate your personal standards, and I enjoy seeing oddities as well. I will kill them whenever feasible as will any other predator.

16-Jan-24
I thought this was about Hunter Biden spilling a bunch of coke on a Whitetail... all these political threads have me confused.

16-Jan-24
I think its a pretty cool buck and kill

• Sitka Gear