Kurt 11-Jan-24
fuzzy 14-Jan-24
Basil 14-Jan-24
goelk 14-Jan-24
drycreek 14-Jan-24
drycreek 14-Jan-24
dnovo 14-Jan-24
11-Jan-24
How do bodies of water influence thermals . It sure seems like they do . If someone has figured out could you explain to me please . Use small words please and thank you !

11-Jan-24
Draws air currents toward the water

Small enough? Lol

11-Jan-24
Thermals depend on temperature differentials. No way to say for certain what effect the water body will have as it could vary with areas of shade vs sun,

I will say air warmed up at mid morning will rise. This draws cooler air in to get warmed up. Likely the air over the water is cooler than the air over sunny land.

14-Jan-24
I assume the question is about thermal imaging. Something warm in cold water will show "hot". Warm water will show "hot".

14-Jan-24
I like hunting the downwind of a wind swept lake. Wind hits the trees or terrain & is forced upwards. I’ve had some pretty bulletproof sets with many deer passing downwind & not getting busted. Same can work on open fields.

14-Jan-24
El Niño and La Nina is an oceanic and atmospheric phenomenon

14-Jan-24
Pretty simple, cold air sinks, warm air rises. So the stand you have at daylight, assuming not much wind, may be sending your stink down into where the deer come from. The same stand at 8:00 a.m. might send your stink another direction. I have this condition where I hunt at home and I’ve seen it on several occasions. Wind from the NW, unconcerned deer in my plot, wind dies before dark and the same deer grow nervous, might even lift their tail and leave. It has caused me to leave a few times before I was really ready to.

14-Jan-24
Pretty simple, cold air sinks, warm air rises. So the stand you have at daylight, assuming not much wind, may be sending your stink down into where the deer come from. The same stand at 8:00 a.m. might send your stink another direction. I have this condition where I hunt at home and I’ve seen it on several occasions. Wind from the NW, unconcerned deer in my plot, wind dies before dark and the same deer grow nervous, might even lift their tail and leave. It has caused me to leave a few times before I was really ready to.

14-Jan-24
I hunted a farm in N Missouri for years with a slow running creek though it. I liked to set up close to the creek in the evenings as the air cooling would draw down into the creek. It worked out well lots of times.

• Sitka Gear