IdyllwildArcher 19-Jan-24
W 24-Jan-24
midwest 24-Jan-24
Bowfreak 24-Jan-24
WV Mountaineer 24-Jan-24
WV Mountaineer 24-Jan-24
WV Mountaineer 24-Jan-24
16-Jan-24
I have owned the Fanatic vest for 2 seasons. Last year I carried it to the stand a few times but never needed it as our late season weather never really got cold. Last night I did my last sit of the year and it was pretty chilly. Lower 20s with a slight wind with flurries during the whole sit. I walked in cold in my FL Furnace base layer and my Equinox Midi Pant. I dressed a the stand and added my Fanatic Hoody, Stratus bibs, Stratus jacket and Fanatic vest. All I can say is that I am extremely impressed with the vest. I didn't even think about getting cold and was actually warm the whole time. I had quite a few degrees to go before I would have just considered it tolerable. The only issue for me is that it is starting to get to a little bulk to it with that much gear on. I can't wear my Marsupial Gear bino harness with all that on as it ends up riding so high on my chest that it interferes with my bowstring at full draw. If I had a little bit more strap I could wear the harness fine too. A little more strap or a little less fat. :)

I type all of this to say that I was a late convert to the Sitka whitetail stuff. I was one he stated that I don't need all that stuff to kill deer. You don't either, but I did find out that after getting the stuff and wearing it that I am SO much more comfortable. It is awesome stuff and quite simply worth every penny it costs. I have considered getting the Fanatic bib but I am not sure I would ever wear them where I hunt deer. I don't think it gets cold enough early enough to justify me owning it.

16-Jan-24
Thats good info,I had to order the larger harness for my marsipial case

16-Jan-24

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Pretty comfortable hunt last night. I got greedy trying to shoot the biggest doe in a group and ended up getting skunked.

16-Jan-24
Buckdeer,

I didn't know they offered one? I will need to check on that.

16-Jan-24

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
I agree, when it’s cold or windy. It’s relatively quiet and warm.

16-Jan-24
I love the hat Altitude Sickness.

16-Jan-24
It is awesome stuff. I wore my Stratus bibs most of the season and the vest when cold. The Fanatic coat is amazing. Really enjoy the high collar and the hand warmer pocket. The bibs I hate having to put them in my pack to avoid the burrs. Real bugger to pick them out of Berber & much simpler to just rub them off the Stratus. So far I’ve sat in total comfort in some really nasty weather and have been really impressed. Wish it was available in other camo patterns though.

16-Jan-24
Mark, I’m a huge fan of that vest. I’ve hunted with into the single digits with a dri fit base layer, a light polyester layer over it, a camo fire 250 gram merino pullover, the sloths heavy weight hoody, and the vest topping it off. And stated toasty. Multiple times. It’s the real deal. And, worth every single penny I paid for it.

16-Jan-24
For you guys that have the fanatic vest. Any reason you chose that over the coat?

16-Jan-24
Yep. I bought the coat too. Its fit was all wrong for me. Loose body but tight through the arms and shoulders. However, The vest doesn’t impede my movement and it’s plenty warm. Great piece of gear for stand hunting in cold weather and still be unrestricted. With a good layering system, I’ve taken it into the single digits at daylight. And hunted all day in 20 degree highs and stayed very warm.

16-Jan-24
I have the bibs, coat & vest. Wear my stratus set a lot & carry the Fanatic vest in my pack for when I get cold. I’m good down into single digits with that setup. With the tall collar on the coat & vest I no longer carry a neck warmer or balaclava. I’ve sat in -20F for extended periods wearing all 3 Fanatic pieces. Seems to cut the wind very well, it’s versatile & dead quiet.

16-Jan-24
The jacket is probably my most favorite piece of whitetail gear. The warmth, noiseless, the hand muff, the pouch pocket up front, the grunt tube pocket, it’s nearly perfect for me.

16-Jan-24

17-Jan-24
Yea you can’t beat it. I have so many hours in my fanatic outers, I’d actually be curious to know how many.

You don’t need it to kill “a” deer, but if you’re serious about killing whitetails and more specifically mature bucks that will require some hunts in extreme conditions for extreme durations it is definitely a valuable tool to make it happen. And then the rest of the time it’s just really comfortable

17-Jan-24
Brought out the coat for the 1st time this year on Saturday afternoon. Low-mid teens and a stiff breeze and I was more comfortable than usual. The thing with the coat is that you shouldn't need to bulk up (unless its REALLY cold). I had a polyester base, a Cabelas Windshear vest, and the coat. If I hadn't shot a doe, it would have been put to test at zero on Sunday. Old age is getting the best of me and I didn't end up going. I only bring the Fanatic out when the daytime highs are probably around 20 degrees or less, which can sometimes be very few hunting days for us here. It's still invaluable. It's a valuable tool for me to kill "a" deer; I'm not Canadian. ;>)

17-Jan-24
I am trying to decide between the fanatic bibs or the incinerator bibs. I have not put my hands on the incinerator bibs yet, but they say the packability is great and supposedly just as warm. For those who have seen both how do they compare for warmth and quiet?

17-Jan-24
Bowhunter81,

I chose the vest because the vast majority of my deer hunting is going to be covered with my Stratus set. I change base layers and use it from roughly 25-45 degree sets. I use a heavy baselayer and the vest when it is colder or conditions are just worse like high wind or snow. I have yet to need the Fanatic jacket but wouldn't hesitate and would actually prefer it over the vest if I was in area that typically had colder weather. For me it seems the vest is more practical especially considering it is around $150 cheaper I believe.

17-Jan-24
A good warm coat is a treasure.

17-Jan-24
If someone told me to get rid of all my hunting clothing but I could keep one set it would be my Sitka Fanatic and it isn't even close.

17-Jan-24
I think the market is finally saturated. I’ve been able to purchase all mine used at 50-60% of retail. Hard to justify the price. If I was to do without any of it would be the bibs. I find it’s seldom cold enough to need them.

17-Jan-24
Best hunting gear I have ever bought…I have the bib, the coat, vest and the “beanie”.

Doesn’t matter how cold it is, I’m warm…mostly wear the vest, but spend a lot of time in the bins with no coat or vest…great gear

18-Jan-24
Shane, I did a review on the incinerator system. It only comes out when it’s single digits or 15 and under with a brisk wind. But when it is bitter cold there’s nothing that compares with it considering the insulation, weight and movability. I’m wearing my fanatic system less than I used to. I’m wearing my Stratus jacket with bibs down to 20. For really cold temps like last week in the Midwest it’s my incinerator.

18-Jan-24

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Have all three as well Shane, and agree with Pat...the Incinerator is HOT but needed in certain situations. Also agree with what he said in his review here, the Fanatic will pick up every burr/sticktight in the county, but not the Incinerator.

Guess how many Sitka patterns I have on here ;?)

18-Jan-24
I see 5 patterns there. Elevated, Elevated II, Sub Alpine, Waterfowl Timber, and Waterfowl Marsh. Nice layering there!!!

18-Jan-24
Forest green instead of Elevated, but otherwise you nailed it

18-Jan-24
I still have the first iteration of the Sitka heavyweight bibs and jacket in forest green. It’s the best pattern for cedars and evergreens. Was too dark for hardwoods and that’s when they came out with elevated 2.

18-Jan-24
Pat/SitO,

Thanks for the input. I just can not decide. I mostly hunt in the south and with long walks, I am trying to figure out something light and will not pick up ever cocklebur in the area. Sounds like the incinerator might be a little too warm for me .

18-Jan-24
I'd say too warm, cocklebur's would be fairly easy to remove from Fanatic...it's the little stickers that are the problem for me.

Pat, I still have a pair of Sitka bibs in Realtree Hardwoods(I think that is the pattern). Wish they still made the Forest Green.

18-Jan-24
I have used the Fanatic tops a few times and they are nice but for me the Stratus Jacket with a base layer and LW puffy keeps me warm enough. If I lived in the far north I might reconsider.

19-Jan-24
When I wear my fanatic jacket I have to wear a windbreaker of some sort under it as I was in 20mph in Oct and froze. I was wearing a fanatic hoody also and the wind goes right through them.

19-Jan-24
Shane,

You want the Stratus set. It is the work horse of their whitetail stuff. It is awesome and would probably be all a person would need in the south. I am in KY and it serves almost every need I have for cool to cold weather. It is not for cold cold but I can wear mine easily down into the 20s. I only change baselayers or add a Fanatic hoody and Fanatic vest when needed.

19-Jan-24
Bowfreak

Thank you. Probably going to do that with a fanatic vest. Probably all that I need.

19-Jan-24
Hunted today in Ohio, it was 19 with an 8mph NW wind. I wore long johns, stratus bib, stratus jacket, stratus beanie, 800gr boots. I was able to sit for 4 hours. But, I was pretty cold by the end of the hunt. I should have added another base layer, a stratus vest to the lineup and 1600 boots. Or, used my fanatic instead. I was pushing the lower temp range of the stratus.

19-Jan-24
It was 5 degrees here in Missouri with an 8 mph wind this am. I was out trying to call predators for 3-4 hours. The stratus bibs and jacket did the trick for me. I wore 1200 gram boots with some electric socks and my feet were toasty! Never had luck with the electric socks, but they’ve come a long way since I last tried a pair!

19-Jan-24
I'm more of a Kuiu guy than a Sitka guy, but my Fanatic hoodie is one of my favorite pieces of clothing. An ex-girlfriend got it for me for a birthday or I'd have never bought it and I'm so glad she did - I've worn it close to 200 days hunting from Alaska to Iowa and when it completely wears out, I'll buy another one.

24-Jan-24
On my second zipper with the Fanatic jacket. This time, I didn’t send it back to them. I went to a local tailor and got a heavy duty metal zipper put in. I wear it and my bibs and stay warm.

24-Jan-24
Speaking of zippers, does anyone else think the zipper on the Stratus jacket is ridiculously loud? When I zip mine up it sounds like I'm ripping apart velcro.

24-Jan-24
I never really noticed mine being loud. I think the angled zipper is odd on the Fanatic vest I have. I would much prefer a regular zipper.

24-Jan-24
Not me. No offense. That zipper allows are a very handy, big, two chambered kangaroo pocket. I love it.

24-Jan-24
Not me. No offense. That zipper allows are a very handy, big, two chambered kangaroo pocket. I love it.

24-Jan-24
Oh my. I’m starting to sound like ‘bou.

• Sitka Gear