B2K 19-Jan-24
JG 20-Jan-24
caribou77 20-Jan-24
Rob in VT 20-Jan-24
JG 21-Jan-24
JG 21-Jan-24
JG 22-Jan-24
17-Jan-24
Mid Sept I’m getting dropped off somewhere close to the Brooks Range in Alaska with a moose tag, grizzly tag and a guide. 10 day hunt with a very well respected outfitter

I’ve shot two Canadian moose with a bow but these were 20” and 28” animals. We hunt out of a lodge in Canada.

I’ve done one other fly in trip for brown bears with this outfitter but that was sitting over bait

Any advice, stories or things you may feel will help prepare me? I have a great list from the outfitter so I’m starting at a good place but others experiences are always helpful to learn

Tx

17-Jan-24
Oh, I don’t know if I’ll be on a river or lake. All I know is plan to hunt in waders.

17-Jan-24
Will you be alone?

17-Jan-24
Yes. A guide and myself.

I got a 10mm glock for the hunt but plan to hunt solely with bow.

17-Jan-24
Good luck shoot a big one! Both animals.

17-Jan-24
1. Bring a high quality sleeping bag, 15 deg or even 0 deg rated, my only gear fail on my recent moose hunt was my bag. 2. Two pairs of boots 3. Thermacell 4. Sitting Tripod for your binos if you don’t already have one.

17-Jan-24
Oh…leave the handgun at home, I was so glad I did not bring one.

17-Jan-24
Jonah Stewart? IF so you will be fine. Listen to your guide and enjoy the process !!

18-Jan-24
Never let anyone handle your bow -- even if they say, "I'm an archer, too." If there's a way the pilot or guide can screw up your bow (grabbing it through the pin guard, etc.) they'll do it.

18-Jan-24
Whats your weight limit?

18-Jan-24
It says 50lb personal gear

The last time I brought a spare bow but left it in the main lodge.

50lb is gonna be a challenge

Why should I leave the pistol? Just no need? With the bear hunt I was always close to my guide. With moose I normally get between my guide and the moose. Felt a pistol may be a nice comfort thing to have?

18-Jan-24
Bring your handgun, and/or bear spray. A little different scenario than yours. When on my guided AK moose hunt, I was often out of sight of my guide, but that wasn't the main issue. My wife accompanied us on the hunt. She always carried her own handgun, but they talked her into leaving it behind because she would always be with one of us. One day she stayed in camp alone to dry clothes/equipment, so I left her my pistol while the guide and I climbed a ridge above camp to glass. We were about a mile from camp when we spotted a couple of moose including a nice bull a few miles away. Before we could go after him, we needed his day pack, extra clothes and food, etc. from camp. We decided I would go back for the gear while he watched the moose. I wouldn't leave my bow, and didn't want to carry that and his cannon. The way back to camp was on bear trails through thick cover for part of the way. Fortunately, I didn't see a bear, but it was just a little uncomfortable.

On another hunt in northern Canada, both my wife and I hunted. Of course we couldn't bring our handguns on that hunt. The guide had a popper pistol that fired basically a fire cracker, besides his rifle. Half way through the hunt he gave me the "pistol", because I was frequently out of his sight and it made HIM nervous.

18-Jan-24
Having never done a fly in all I can say is congratulations, be safe, have fun, good luck and take lots of pictures

18-Jan-24
Make sure you have really good boots, rain gear, clothes, zero-degree sleeping bag, meat pack frame and binos. I assume the guide will have the tent, stove and food.

18-Jan-24
I’ve done 2 Alaska diy fly-in moose hunts.

I’ll post some ideas later

18-Jan-24
Bought some kenetrek boots and I have top line sims waders. I’ve shot moose and have a good bow set up and plenty of layers

Sleeping bag - kuiu 0F any good? My 15F bag isn’t very good

18-Jan-24
Do you typically hunt sun up to sun down? I was thinking of bringing a 6 or 7 wt fly rod in the event I have time in camp doing nothing?

18-Jan-24
Good raingear, good sleeping bag and good boots. These 3 are a must Then be ready to enjoy every aspect of your hunt

18-Jan-24
Make sure you have really good boots, rain gear, clothes, zero-degree sleeping bag, meat pack frame and binos. I assume the guide will have the tent, stove and food.

18-Jan-24
Be in shape, good footware and good socks. Glide, baby powder and moleskin just in case. Discuss in advance what you want and when to shoot and not shoot. Good sleeping bag with liner. Good pad. Good rain gear. Good camera. Positive mental attitude.

18-Jan-24
Do you typically hunt sun up to sun down? I was thinking of bringing a 6 or 7 wt fly rod in the event I have time in camp doing nothing?

18-Jan-24
Have worn hip waders and lacrosse ankle fit boots for most river hunts.

18-Jan-24
Below is some of the stuff that worked for me on both my DIY Alaska fly-in moose hunts. I may have omitted some items but this should give you a good idea. Between my buddy and I we were right about 50lbs each after we split up the gear for the flights in the SuperCub. The pilot was pleased how light we packed. Add/subtract accordingly.

Pack cot with a 0 degree bag and a good sleeping pad. Two headlamps with extra batteries. Two lighters. Camp shoes [Crocs]. TP and baby wipes. 4 pair of wool socks. Upper/lower Base layers. Wool pants. Wool shirt. Wool hat. Helly Hansen Impertech rain coat. Knee-high Lacrosse Alpha Burly rubber boots. Lacrosse insulated hip boots. 3 pair wool gloves [ I used the green Army Surplus type]

Small meat saw. Hatchet. Knife. Sharpening tool. Para cord. Compass. InReach. Battery power pack. 2 large contractor bags. Tyvek sheets to stand on.

Here is a short video of my AK gear, not all inclusive, and some of it was overlap for 2 guys, not just me.

Here is a short video of the clothes I took on the hunts.

18-Jan-24
Leave the fly rod…take the cannoli.

Good boots for sure. I have been pleased with my Kuiu 0° should be fine. Also i’m a big fan of down suit (puffy jacket AND pants). Best rain gear you can get.

I’m also guessing you hunting with Jonah, just do whatever he says and you will be fine.

—Jim

18-Jan-24
If you’re concerned about weight throw the pistol in the trash and skip the spray. The guide will have that part covered.

18-Jan-24
Typically weapons dont count towards your 50lb weight limit

18-Jan-24
They will weigh you and your gear before getting on the bush plane.

Put a lot of your clothes on and fill your pockets with a lot of your heavy smaller items before weigh in. To keep your bag under the 50 pounds. Yes it’s the Same weight getting on the plane. But your weight is separated

18-Jan-24
I’ve done 11 hunting trips of my own and guided for several years in Ak. Personally I wouldn’t deal with the inconvenience of the pistol

18-Jan-24
Need great rain gear, good boots (make sure you prep them before you leave), good set of gaiters, backup release, chap stick etc.. you get the idea

19-Jan-24
If you plan on carrying your cell phone, purchase a tether for it. Trust me. ;)

A Zoleo or in Reach mini wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

I have the Zoleo and it flawless. You can turn off the messaging plan and restart it at anytime.

Best of luck!!

19-Jan-24

19-Jan-24
I don’t know why my post keeps repeating, sorry.

19-Jan-24
Benadryl, parachute cord and something to keep your butt from getting wet when you sit down, drink mix to flavor water with. Cnelk is correct on 4 pairs of socks. You may have to lay on your socks inside your sleeping bag to dry them. Carry 2 emergency space blankets to place quarters on while butchering (or for emergencies). Find them in the camping section for a couple bucks and they don't take up space or weight like a tarp would. Olive oil and seasonings for use on fresh tenderloins!

20-Jan-24
Awesome info guys. Thank you. Picked up on a lot of things I wouldn’t have thought of

20-Jan-24
Pm sent. Best of luck to you

20-Jan-24

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
My fly in last fall in BC was a 65lb weight limit. This included weapons and everything. A satellite communication device is nice to have. I used the Zoleo and it worked great. Light fishing rod and spoons/spinners was nice to have mid day and down times.

Best of luck.

21-Jan-24
I’ve been watching you tube Alaska moose hunts with the bow.

These animals seem less spooky than Canadian moose??? Less human interaction? Looks like finding one that wants to play and getting the wind right is the recipe?

21-Jan-24
I prefer to use breathable membrane wading pants or waders instead of hip boots.

Lacrosse type hip boots don’t have the proper fit, they are ridiculously heavy, don’t breath and don’t dry out

With Goretex type instead of the typical wading boots. Just use any lightweight synthetic hiking boot that will dry quicker than leather. And wear those boots over the wader boot foot.

I have worn a quiet pair of pants over the waders to reduce the noise.

Now guides prefer hip boots due to cost and toughness. But for the occasional moose hunter I’ll take goretex.

They don’t have to be Simms. A lower quality, less membrane layers will work fine

21-Jan-24
Question for you

My hunt is 9/15-24

I have boots for my waders over sized for steelhead fishing. I can get a pair of woolen socks in them

My guess is I want to bring them even though they are harder to cover miles in?

How many miles a day do you think is normal walking during this type of moose hunt?

22-Jan-24
That late in the season. Let the moose do the walking. They can cover a lot of ground when in the rut looking for cows.

Your guide most likely won’t want to pack one over a mile. So it’s not how far the walk is. But what your walking on that is tough.

22-Jan-24
That sounds perfect. Warm boots it is. Thanks

• Sitka Gear