badlander 27-Jan-24
12yards 27-Jan-24
BC173 27-Jan-24
bowhunt 27-Jan-24
DanaC 28-Jan-24
ND String Puller 28-Jan-24
26-Jan-24
Well my last thread got no activity. Trying a catchier title

I have a Montana Black Gold Ascent 5 pin sight. I don’t use the slider function ever. The sight broke, so need a new one.

It seems like the Montana Black Gold sights have some of the brightest pins. I end up being in thick timber hunting quite often. If I’m remembering correctly the spot hog pins weren’t as bright on the last one I had.

Looking for suggestions:

5 pin, no slider, 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment

26-Jan-24
This seems like a good, or maybe even the best thread on the site to reply to. I think you should use the old brass pins with a little flashlight taped to you riser above it to illuminate them.

26-Jan-24
Your Ascent doesn't have 2nd & 3rd axis adjustment already? My MB sight has both and I'd assume yours does as well, but you should probably check.

You just looking for something new? Lancaster Archery is probably one of the best online sources to check.

27-Jan-24
Good catch Grunt and gobble

Didn’t clarify the slider part stripped out or broke. So I need to buy a new site. I edited my original post to clarify

27-Jan-24

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I really like my CBE Engage 5 pin. It has very bright tough pins and has a slider function. Camofire has them sometimes and had them Friday.

27-Jan-24
I’ll check it out. See if they have a dovetail with site without the slider, 2nd , and 3rd axis

Have astigmatism, got lazer eye surgery a couple times and still have to wear glasses. Barely ever wore them before the surgery! Went backwards.

With .19 pins and my eyesight Shooting past 60 isn’t enjoyable anymore. Depending on the day sometime I have 1 pin, sometimes the pin I’m focused on/aiming with is two next to each other, and some days I’m really lucky and see three pins in a triangle!

I used to love practicing out to 100-120 but no more

27-Jan-24
Can't help you I shoot barebow

27-Jan-24
I bought the CBE engage micro 5 pin a few months ago. Pins are very bright on it. Seems well built and reasonably priced on camofire at times. My only issue is that I shoot 54# and 5 pins is to many, had to drop 2 pins all the way down to get enough adjustment between the remaining 3. If there was a way to remove the bottom 2 pins completely it would be great to remove the clutter of a 5 pin. I shot a single pin slider before this site so it took some time to get used to.

27-Jan-24
What broke on your MBG? In my experience they are pretty robust sights, and customer service has been responsive to any issues that I have had. Have you checked with them?

27-Jan-24
Send it back to MBG. They will repair or replace.

27-Jan-24
There are many, so not sure which would be nicest for you, but Ill second the Lancaster Archery comment above. If you dont have a local shop... I've bought stuff there, and returned, with no issues - and good customer support. If you are unsure, they may be a good shop to help (again, assuming you dont have a local shop).

27-Jan-24
I don’t know what happened. I never even use the slider function. The only time I do is just to double check if it is all the way up. I moved the slider down a little, the went to move back up. The adjust wheel spins, slider doesn’t move anymore.

Definitely going to call them, I think it’s lifetime warranty.

Just seemed like a good time to get a new site without the slider function since I never use it.

27-Jan-24

bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
Also it looks like it may break where the horizontal block clamps the vertical’s adjustment block.

I’ve seen that’s a known issue. May be under warranty as well.

Since I never use the slider anymore, and 2 different problems I may just try a new brand.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

27-Jan-24
You definitely need to send it in. They will take care of you.

....and don't use a cheater bar on your allen wrenches. ;-)

27-Jan-24
I started out buying black gold sights. My one buddy said buy spot hogg but I didn’t want to spend the extra money. Broke 2 or 3 then bought a spot Hogg. Better answer. Then I switched right to left handed and couldn’t get anything from spot hogg so I bought a black gold. Happy with that sight and my buddy Kurt says he has great warranty service from black gold. Don’t know model just 5 pin. Costs are amazing to me.

27-Jan-24
Haha Midwest!

No cheater bar, just a small folding Allen wrench set

This is a pretty old sight. The issue I pointed out is a known problem, and they have changed the design a little to remedy it.

I’m definitely a happy Black gold customer.

Don’t want a slider anymore, so just wanting to see what else is out there now days that guys like

5 pin, no slider, 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment

27-Jan-24
Black Gold Rush (in one to 7 pins) is their non-slider. Uses the same head and pins as the Ascent. Never had an issue with my Rush (have had three) but have had your exact issues on my Ascent. Not lately but the third year after I bought it.

They'll fix your existing sight and get it back to you quickly. Call them Monday. Bet you it back like new in a week or two.

27-Jan-24
Black Gold may even swap you for the fixed sight.

27-Jan-24
Thanks guys

Considering the black gold 5 pin rush mentioned above, a spot hog, or a CBE sight

I think I have had this Ascent long enough the company changed names!

Now it’s just Black Gold

I swear it was Montana Black Gold when I bought it!

27-Jan-24
Rush won't have 3rd Axis. The Widow Maker is a better sight but still doesn't have third axis. The Revenge would be a fixed with 3rd axis but is almost $300.

27-Jan-24
^^^

Correction , the revenge is the black gold one I looked at

27-Jan-24
I don’t know how Spot-Hogg stays in business. I bought a Cam Hanes 7 deadly pins model a LONG time ago. Sent it in once to have the pins redone and they sent it back looking brand new.

Bought a Hogg Father 3 pin slider 4-5 years ago. Still use both of them. Next time I upgrade bows the sights will both stay with me again.

27-Jan-24

badlander's embedded Photo
Old 7DP at work
badlander's embedded Photo
Old 7DP at work

27-Jan-24
badlander, I've never owned a Spot Hogg but agree. They look like high quality and built like a tank.

27-Jan-24
I’ve never owned a Black Gold or a CBE sight, so I can’t comment on those sights. I have owned a few different Spott Hog sights and have zero complaints. And this is over the past 20 years or so.

27-Jan-24

bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
bowhunt's embedded Photo
Looks like they have changed the housing a fair amount since the last one I had. Before I wasn’t super happy with how bright my pins were in low light. Many many years ago.

Looks like the new design will solve that.

Got it narrowed down to these two

28-Jan-24
Looks like the second one is easier to detach while putting your bow in a case for transport.

28-Jan-24

ND String Puller's embedded Photo
ND String Puller's embedded Photo
The MRT ring’s actually help with accuracy. On a bright daylight shot, you will only see the small inner ring. At low light you center the outer ring. Just have to get your peep size and sight depth dialed in for it to work.

You’ll be happy… I’ve been shooting SH for 20 years, they are built for hard hunting abuse.

• Sitka Gear