Gib 16-Feb-24
Paul@thefort 16-Feb-24
BULELK1 18-Feb-24
Paul@thefort 24-Feb-24
badbull 24-Feb-24
29-Jan-24

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
What a great morning to goose hunt. Mid 30s temp, no wind. Was at the field before sunrise at 7:15 am.

29-Jan-24

geese started to fly early and before sunrise

29-Jan-24

I hear a few low flyers out over the lake and give out a few goose notes. They swing over for a look

29-Jan-24

Landing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29-Jan-24

Geese within 20 yards. Bow up, draw, settle pin, release

29-Jan-24

Whack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, number 10 down for the season.

29-Jan-24

Time for Teal to go to work. If you remember, he was having some issues with picking up and bring back these large geese. So I worked with him with training dummies and then a goose or two in show him how to hold by the neck or wing. Little by little he improved. Before I set him after the goose, I threw a dummy a few times just to enforce that he had to do. Ok, now the real deal, a goose.

29-Jan-24

29-Jan-24
Excellent job Teal and Paul. Teal will be anxiously awaiting for next season!!

29-Jan-24

What a great way to end the Yard Hopper season with 10 geese and a dog that finely figured it out. I gathered up both blinds and decoys and headed home with a smile on my face. Teal did well this season, with Sage Hens, Pheasants, Ducks and now geese. Teal will be 20 months old on Feb 6th. Oh hell, I will be 84 on March 7th. Time flies by when you are having fun.

29-Jan-24
Well done Paul and Teal I always enjoy following along for the “yard hopper” series!

29-Jan-24
Great job, Paul & Teal! I am super impressed that you can call geese into that dried out grass... it doesn't look like there is anything left in that yard of nutritional value! We've been getting after the honkers pretty seriously here in northeast Indiana, but just in the ag fields.

Enjoy a little down time and good luck with the turkey hunting this spring! Pete

29-Jan-24
Very nice Paul way to teach the pup!

29-Jan-24
Always fun, thanks for taking us along!

29-Jan-24
Great way to wrap it up Paul. Thanks for sharing and continuing to! I hope you get to do it again next year.

—Jim

29-Jan-24
Awesome Paul. Thanks for sharing this season after season. Teal gets an “attaboy” in my book.

29-Jan-24
A true inspiration you are Paul! I’m very impressed with what you’ve accomplished with Teal already. Thanks for making our day, keep at it sir!

29-Jan-24
Still my hero Paul ! Teal is working into an excellent companion.

29-Jan-24
Hey Kelly, it has helped that Teal's father is a 4 times HRC Hunt Test National Champ from Nebraska. Lots of get up and go and desire. He had been a hand full but coming along nicely. There are even a few days that I do not have to yell at him and remind him who is boss :).

29-Jan-24
Pete, yea the grass does look dry but under the dry grass is some greenery for the geese to feed on. The hard part of archery goose hunting is getting them to land within bow range and then shoot quickly before they realize there is not much food there or they just wander off when they realize the decoys are not the real thing. I have found that I have a minute or two , after they land, to get the shot off before they get suspicious. I place the decoys within 20 yards so most shots are 25 yards and under.

30-Jan-24
I always enjoy reading about these hunts - thanks for sharing!

30-Jan-24
Heck of a season Paul, congrats!

30-Jan-24
Congrats on another good "hopper" season! Looks like you and Teal are forming a lasting partnership.

30-Jan-24
So much fun this is!! Thank you for putting these out there every year Paul!! Congrats a on a great season!

30-Jan-24
Great way to wrap up another successful season! Teal did great and Paul is always on the money. Thanks so much for keeping the tradition alive and taking us along with you. Much continued success and health! You make 84 look young:)

30-Jan-24
I feel your pain Paul concerning training a new pup. I have a three month old Jack Russell Terrorist named Molly that I’m trying to potty train. She’s at about 50% right now, and I will sure be glad when she gets it down. The blood trailing will probably be a given with just a little help.

30-Jan-24
Congrats on a great season and on developing another fine hunting companion!

30-Jan-24
Another great season. Thanks for sharing.

30-Jan-24

30-Jan-24
Great season Paul for you and Teal. Thanks for posting your adventures.

30-Jan-24
Entertaining as always Paul and Teal.

31-Jan-24
Paul, thanks for sharing your adventures! I hope the new land owner let's you return next season. Stay well buddy!

31-Jan-24

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Bow hunting!. Is that not was Bowsite.com is all about? Great site for sure. Keep up the tradition and tell your stories. I just know there are tons of good bow hunting stories out there just waiting to be told be it goose, rabbits or elk or mule deer in the clouds.

Turkey season is not too far away. My best, Paul

31-Jan-24
Thanks for sharing your hunting stories! Can’t wait until the next series.

01-Feb-24
Thanks for sharing you and Teal's season with us, looking forward to more of you and Teal in the future!

01-Feb-24
Congratulations on another excellent season Paul and Teal!

Thanks again for taking us all along with the great pictures and write ups. I, like others, will hope you do it again next season and will be awaiting it.

-Jim

01-Feb-24
Great stuff Paul! Thanks for another great bowhunting thread! Awesome way to end the year.

01-Feb-24

Always a pleasure guys. Hard to tell if the series will continue next year to it's 14 th year. Just found out that the property is STILL for sale as the client backed out at the last minute due to a VA loan and high interest rates. One never knows about these local geese and changing situations in the area, and how that all might affect the goose season. I heard a LOT less shot gun blasts from goose hunters in the area as in the past but luck would have it I was able to kill 10 geese and missed only three, ie, better than last year. My best year was 17 geese, with 4 geese twice in one day and one day a limit of 5 geese a year later. I still have these 10 geese's breasts to grind and make into burger and jerky, as the process continues. I will continue to train Teal as I will be entering him in at least four HRC Hunt Test this summer , in the Seasoned Trials. He will will have to do a double retrieve on land and then on water, as well as a "blind" retrieve on land and water. Fun stuff and its gives him and me a job this off season.

01-Feb-24
Well done Paul!

02-Feb-24
Great as always, thanks for sharing.

02-Feb-24
Thanks for sharing another successful year of Yard Hoppers, Paul. Always an enjoyable read. It was fun to see Teal's progress through this season. Best of luck finding a place where you and Teal can continue to control the local goose population in the future.

02-Feb-24

"control the local goose population". I am up for the challenge but for every goose I killed it seems there are 10 that takes it's place in the Spring. The Front Range of Colorado is an goose incubator.

02-Feb-24
Oh I know, Paul. But you're doing your part. Scads of them down here by Boyd Lake right now. It would be great to have a place to hunt them around here but winning the Powerball is probably better odds than findinga place.

04-Feb-24
Hey Brad, if I am still hunting this goose field next year, you are invited. All you need is a state and federal duck permit. Breakfast at my house before or after, we go hunting.

04-Feb-24
Thank you Paul! PM sent

04-Feb-24
Great stuff, Paul.

09-Feb-24

10-Feb-24

Well, goose season ends tomorrow, Feb 11 at sunset. I still see geese around the area so there should be plenty of Yard Hoppers for next season. As you noted, I killed 10 geese this season and ended my hunt two weeks ago with plenty of action during those 13 hunts. Teal saw plenty of action on all of this hunts for grouse, pheasants, duck and geese. He just turned 20 months old and is strong and able and we are looking forward to many more hunts together.

Thanks all for following along. I can tell there a lot of hunting dog owners on Bowsite by your comments and support of the Yard Hopper Series. Next year??? Just have to wait and see. Our best, Paul and Teal and lets not forget, Chase the wonder dog.

13-Feb-24
Love it!

14-Feb-24

Yea, on Valentines Day, you got to love it.

16-Feb-24
Always love your hunts Paul, thank you for sharing

16-Feb-24

Gib, I presented a Turkey hunting and calling seminar last night before our Sportsmen's Caucus meeting here in Colorado. I hope it turned on a few attending to hunt turkey especially with the bow. Got me thinking, the season is just 6 weeks away. Maybe there will be another story coming. Thanks for the note. Paul

18-Feb-24
Another great year Paul.

Teal has certainly turned into a hunting partner for ya.

Thanks for taking us along again this year man.

Good luck, Robb

24-Feb-24

Yea Robb, Teal is a keeper. Paul

24-Feb-24
Really enjoy the pics and especially those of Teal. Bob

• Sitka Gear