huntr4477 10-Feb-24
stagetek 10-Feb-24
BrentC 11-Feb-24
BrentC 11-Feb-24
Iowa booner hunter 11-Feb-24
Ambush 11-Feb-24
TGbow 11-Feb-24
09-Feb-24
I’m heading up to Canada black bear hunting & need a pair of rubber boots. I don’t wear them around home hunting but will be crossing streams on ATV’s so I need a pair of rubber boots.

Which brands do you all prefer? Assuming they are comfortable I’d wear them chasing whitetail back home

09-Feb-24
I just buy the "Dry shod" brand at the feed stores

09-Feb-24
LaCrosse Grange

09-Feb-24
Muck

09-Feb-24
Cabelas

09-Feb-24
Cabelas brand is ok for that and usually lasts me a year for cheap. They probably are around $69.99 right now. I’ve even worn them into dead of winter with insulated socks. Not sure what temps Canada will be when you go though?

09-Feb-24
After 10-12 pairs of Muck;DryShod is the way to go.

09-Feb-24
If you're looking for a good straightforward rubber boot XTRATUF are great. If you want something with insulation for colder weather mucks are good.

09-Feb-24
Lacrosse alpha burley

09-Feb-24
I disagree with LaCross Grange. The quality is nowhere near what it used to be. I’ve worn their boots for over 50 years & won’t be buying them again. They will crack & leak in a year or two no matter how you store or care for them. Sad, I still have my grandpas hip boots from the ‘80s in perfect shape. Comparing my old ones to the new ones. The old boots have thicker rubber and will stand up on their own. The new boots will not stand up & will just crumple & fold over. Shame because they were great comfortable boots.

09-Feb-24
LaCrosse Aeroheads come with two levels of insulation. I always wore the 3.5 mm here in Texas, you might want the 7mm in Canada. If you have high insteps like I do, many of the other brands will torture your feet after you’ve worn them an hour or two.

09-Feb-24
I had the aeroheads (3.5) had them maybe 5 years. I bought them to replace some under armor ones that I absolutely loved, but no longer available and wore out.

The Aeroheads were OK, I’d buy them again. But felt they could have lasted longer, and just weren’t quite perfect. After a bunch of shopping and thought I went with the Lacrosse Alpha Agility. I like the higher plastic/rubber boot piece where it meets neoprene, so it’s not right about my ankle. They are tall enough but slope down in the back, which might not be ideal in precise depth water. Seem very comfortable. Mid priced, which wasn’t a huge concern for me, but might be for you with limited use.

I also like the look of the Schees rubber boots, I’m not sure but I believe they are recently new or redesigned. In any case I was not aware of them when I was shopping. Looks like they are only available in insulated version too, which I really didn’t want. My second choice when I was shopping was one of the Irish setter models.

But if you just using them for one hunt just to ride quads and muck around a bit probably doesn’t matter very much, buy some cheap Mucks or Cabela’s or whatever.

—Jim

09-Feb-24
I'm in the Dry shod camp as well for a general purpose boot. And you can try them on.

For a better quality more serious boot Baffin is awfully hard to beat.

09-Feb-24
I’ve had decent luck with the Lacrosse and trying some of the Irish Setter brand now.

09-Feb-24
Grams are a measurement of weight, millimeters are a measurement of thickness. Interestingly enough both are units of measure in the "communist" metric system.

09-Feb-24
Extratuffs are the only rubber boot..

10-Feb-24
I got a pair of Chene’ knee boots this year. They have a zipper on the side. Very comfortable. I really like them. Not cheap however.

10-Feb-24
I tried a few brands over the years. I always come back to LaCrosse. Try the LaCrosse Alpha Agility

10-Feb-24
Muck boots.

11-Feb-24

11-Feb-24
Dry Shod. I replace the insoles, makes a huge difference in the fit and comfort for me.

11-Feb-24
Lacrosse used to be great and lasted years, now they are made in China and feel and smell like an oil slick for awhile. They could make a pair like they used to and sell them for twice the price and I would buy em.

11-Feb-24
I just cut the tops off my very last pair of Alpha Burlys and made them into camp slippers. Didn't take them long to crack and leak along the ankle high seams. I'm going to buy the cheap TideWe boots. I have family that wear the heck out of them on salt water work boats, sixteen hours a day and they like them.

11-Feb-24
I bought a pair of 18" Lacrosse snake boots about 8 years ago, they finally wore out. If I were gonna buy another pair of cold weather rubber boots I'd go with Dryshod, Kamik, or Baffin. I bought a pair of Tractor Supply Tasca rubber boots for warmer weather, put my snake gaiters on the Tasca boots, works great..I just leave the gaiters attached to the boots.

• Sitka Gear