ki-ke 16-Feb-24
Dale06 16-Feb-24
RK 16-Feb-24
Dale06 16-Feb-24
Zbone 16-Feb-24
be still 16-Feb-24
15-Feb-24

Zbone's Link

Huge Texas low fence ranch keeping track of monster buck by helecopter... This dude would score high in the books... Do youenz think B&C would accept this as fair chase???

If ya think about it guess it wouldn't be much different then of keeping track of him with trail-cams or a drone???

15-Feb-24
Keith Warren will get it with his arrow gun

15-Feb-24
Did they say low fence? Certainly doesn’t look like it but possible.

That is definitely a genetically enhanced buck with unlimited protein feed year round. Not at all natural. He probably never gets more than a half mile from that protein feeder.

Guys with money can afford to look for sheds with a helicopter…

15-Feb-24
In one of the comments somebody said it was low fence... Also the one guy said, one of the other years he shed one antler a mile away the other... Can only assume it's one of those huge southern Texas ranches...

15-Feb-24
Looks bigger than the rompola buck!

15-Feb-24
^^^More legit looking, too….

15-Feb-24
Starting to wonder if what I do is actually deer hunting....

15-Feb-24
It's like in Africa where we hunted high fence from 15000 acres to 40,000.Heck we hunted and never saw the fence except driving through gate to ranch,If a deer has a home range of a couple miles what makes it unfair to hunt 15,000 acres?Now tracking with drone and helicopter might be more of a deal breaker.I think they need to come up with a unfenced acres amount that is big enough to make it fair chase. Another issue could be cover also though.In Africa you couldn't see 100ft most of time

15-Feb-24
If it is truly low fence I don't know why they wouldn't recognize it. The place that borders me is 37,000 acres all low fenced. That's 57 square miles just to put it in perspective. Not any different really than recognizing a buck from southern Ohio where I used to live where 37,000 acres might have 10 or more different owners and 20 different fence lines.

15-Feb-24
Get rid of the stupid record books and have fun hunting.

If "The love of money is the root of all evil" then, The love of record book antlers is the root of "the end of hunting as we know it".

15-Feb-24
The helicopter thing I would have trouble with, same as a drone. You can’t “follow” a deer with game cams unless you own dozens of them and you have a pretty good idea of where he’s traveling. But yeah, I can see that buck coming from a low fenced S Texas ranch. You have to see that brush to appreciate it. Once they get in it, they are lost. The deer, hogs, javelina, etc. use tunnels to travel through it, and you have never seen rattlers as big as they grow ! I once arrowed a small hog in a little opening, and I knew it was a killing shot. My young son (with excellent eyesight) was nominated to follow the blood while I watched for rattlers. We had killed one earlier in the day that was six and a half feet long and as big as my biceps in his middle. Ugh ! I had made up my mind that I wouldn’t follow that sow into the brush but luckily she didn’t make it that far. I just couldn’t see me on my hands and knees crawling through that brush at dusk ! If it had been a deer, I would have, but not a damn hog.

15-Feb-24
I understand if it is actually LOW fence with all them acres I haven't a problem with book organizations accepting it, but what I do is them keeping track of it with a chopper or drone, even a radio color... Some of those huge southern Texas ranches work with fish&game keeping studies (although maybe not this one) and keep tabs on certain deer even radio collaring them... What to say a wealthy guy like jimmy pays the ranch like a million bucks (pun intended) to exclusively hunt this animal and after a couple days without success, ranch owner gets in his chopper, locates him, and says hey jimmy, he's over on parcel such and such... jimmy moves over and blasts him... Now is that fair chase??? Probably depends upon how much clout dude has with an organization,,,, or how much donation...8^)

Maybe need like in Alaska can't legally hunt same day or for a certain amount of time after flying or assist from aircraft... I have a feeling drones are already doing so...

15-Feb-24
The ranch is in the Panhandle. It’s not a south Texas deer. As far as the owner of the ranch, yeah I think he kinda has a lot of money….lol The place is low fenced. He’s also big in the horse business and has a helicopter training setup there.

15-Feb-24
Well not that it matters but I'll add some facts to the story

Obviously it's not South Texas by judging from the Flora in the video. That ranch is in the south eastern part of the Panhandle near the Town of Canadian. It's 26,000 acres, free range. They raise excellent Horses and cattle and obviously nice deer Mendota Ranch

Watching the video it's obvious that the deer in question is not ear tagged nor does it have a tracking colllar. I have no idea if they keep up with him via helicopter but they certainly have cameras on one of his feeders. they operate a school on the ranch that teaches people to shoot out of helicopters and they have several "target ranges or courses" set up on the ranch That school is named Rotor Recoil.

As far as the record book and where the deer lives I see no reason to keep it out , if it ever comes to that.

15-Feb-24
Just as fair chase as any deer. Low fence, feeder, large acreage, no scouting... sounds just like most deer that people pay good money to shoot in KS. As far as using a helicopter goes, probably about the same for them as the guy who glasses late summer bean fields from his truck or late season wheat fields.

Spectacular deer thoug that i would not turn down a chance at!

15-Feb-24
I didn’t watch the video first, but as Rob said, it’s obviously not S Texas once you see the terrain and vegetation. It looks like the buck in question is not the only stud eating that protein either.

16-Feb-24
Low fence 26000 acres, used to do a.i. and cloning with deer and horses, stopped because of regulations. Not sure if that deer is because of outside genetics.

16-Feb-24
Does PnY or BnC include amy disqualifies based on “genetically enhanced”? How you even prove that, even if it was a thing?

16-Feb-24
How tall is a “low fence”, in inches or feet?

16-Feb-24
Dale. Hope all is well Can't speak to all fences but ours are usually 4 ft high on the post and the depending on 4 strand or 5 strand wire on how high the highest wire us. Easiest way to think about this is that animals that jump can clear the top wire with no issues. The ones that dig and slip under do so

Ki-ki. No way to know that Unless of course if it's mentioned or recorded on some public forum. Not sure what BC or PY would do

Record books don't interest me. Ego deal that is awesome for those that care. Record books with who, what, when and where for the animal without the hunter do interest me. That's a textbook

Hope you are well and behaving the best you can. Tell Jake hello, hope he is good

16-Feb-24
RK, thanks for response. I also have zero interest in record books, despite having arrowed quite a few species that I’m sure are “book” animals. I hunt for different reasons than “inches.” I was just curious about what constituted a low fence. I would think P&Y would have a specific requirement for low fence (free range). Take care.

16-Feb-24
Wouldn't know if that buck was genetically engineered and although not as huge but there are plenty of bucks in Texas with similar rack characteristics, see youtube...

16-Feb-24
Texas has gotten to the point now you don’t know what’s real or not real. There’s been some big bucks shot right around here but then later you find out the high fence not too far away lost some deer. Supposedly one deer that shot years ago west of here went over 200 but in that area a guy lost some bucks by them swimming out a big pond that his fence went through or something like that.

My cousin told me just the other day another guy not far from here finally got tired of his high fence and cut it and let his deer out on purpose. Exactly another reason I don’t like high fences cause if you ever do get a good one you’re always wondering if it’s real or not.

This country up northwest though does have big deer and there is ranches up there a whole lot bigger than these so I couldn’t say for sure it ain’t real. If I had to vote though this deer either got out of a high fence when he was young or his daddy or momma came out of one. If not he could have easily been bought when he was young and been carried out there to be dropped off on his ranch by this same helicopter in the video.

Did y’all like how the guy said they work their butts off trying to find sheds…you in a helicopter dude:?)

• Sitka Gear