Grey Ghost 28-Feb-24
sitO 28-Feb-24
buckhammer 28-Feb-24
FORESTBOWS 28-Feb-24
sitO 28-Feb-24
FORESTBOWS 28-Feb-24
sitO 28-Feb-24
27-Feb-24
There are beginning talks between state game biologists and state legislators concerning the spread of CWD in the whitetail deer herd and the discontinuance of supplemental feeding. There seems to be an “ah ha” correlation between corn and CWD.

Is this type of conversation occurring in other states?

27-Feb-24

KB's Link
Yep.

27-Feb-24
Sure. It's illegal to feed wildlife in CO, but animal lovers do it anyway. A study in Boulder County where feeding was pretty aren't showed the highest percentage of CWD anywhere in the state. Now that they know how it is transmitted, they know feeding just concentrates animals and exacerbates the spread. Surprised "baiting" states haven't kept up on this.

27-Feb-24
Ban baiting? Texas will definitely secede.

27-Feb-24
In Texas North (Kansas) this convo has been going on for almost a couple years now. The department did a really nice job laying out the science, including many other species/disease/predatory interactions, but the pro baiters won’t consider any of that. They contend that CWD is a hoax and baiting is a private property right. Upland birds, turkeys and nest predators are an afterthought for them. The conversation seems to have stalled out with some crooked legislators following through on their promise to attempt to gut the department of funding because they want a European style of management in Kansas. Sad times.

27-Feb-24
Too much of the hunting community is made up of corn pile hope-ers vs actually hunters for it to ever change.

Since I became about 10 and learned a little about how to hunt Ive never understood the need to throw $10 on the ground all the time

27-Feb-24
If a state agency demonstrates CWD they qualify for Federal money. As Rush always said “follow the money”.

Has anyone seen scientific proof that baiting creates CWD? Please post up a link.

Some of the states with the worst CWD never allowed baiting. Could it be fake news connecting the two?

27-Feb-24
Ding ding ding Charlie!! Bingo exactly!!

27-Feb-24
Have to look at deer farms, the culprit has been there with the concentration. The prion will always be around but some will be immune and others will not, it is more prevalent in older bucks, the deer farmer was fined. Mn. is a non-deer bait state which is good.

2yrs ago north of Bemidji a deer farmer too several sick deer with CWD and disposed the bodies on public land. I usually hunt about 30 miles north of where it happen, had to have the deer that was tagged go through a check station to send a sample of the brain to the State lab for analysis, came back neg. All was cleared for the area last season unless to volunteer a sample.

27-Feb-24
There’s a food plot behind my house, different LO. I can watch 5-20 deer file across my pond dam, through the woods out into the plot. All those deer pretty much feed and mill around in the same 50’x50’ area. It’s about a 2 acre plot.

Can someone explain to me why this is perfectly legal and me setting a mineral block in my woods is breaking the law because it’ll spread CWD? I plan on putting out some chestnut trees around the pond. Will that be baiting or a food plot?

27-Feb-24
Baiters will come up with absolutely any excuse to keep from getting to hunt...mind boggling.

Look at the thread "How old were you". So many awesome first hunts, not a mention of a failure pile. You've forgotten who you really are.

Now it's proven to spread, not "create CWD", and you can't see how that affects the next kid's hunt?

27-Feb-24
What about salt for Cattle?

27-Feb-24
Or salt for Elk?

27-Feb-24
Salt for elk? Whats that even mean?

27-Feb-24
Salt put out for cattle by ranchers blows up the CWD being spread by bait every time.

27-Feb-24
That's what you're going with? Ride or die lol?

28-Feb-24
Sito dosen't care about salt blocks, food plots, or modern agricultural practices that all can help spread cwd because it dosen't effect the way he hunts. You showed your a$$ on this subject long ago sitO you care more about banning baiting then anything else including the truth. Banning baiting will not stop cwd as many have pointed out some of the most heavily affected areas don't allow it and never did. Once prions are in the soil not much can be done. I'll never understand why cwd is so scary or so mysterious to people. Deer herds in modern times are so inflated due to modern agriculture practice mother nature is just sorting itself out. Does cwd kill deer Yep. Does it wipe out herds Nope. That seems to be the job of G&F agencies in the name of cwd management.

28-Feb-24
Normally I’m very against any “CWD Protocols” that do nothing other than make hunters and game wardens jump through extra hoops, but if it gets baiting banned then I’m suddenly very pro CWD protocols

28-Feb-24
So baiting spreads CWD, as do other things, but we can eliminate baiting ya see. Yes I want it banned, no secret, it's poisoning not only deer but numerous other wild animals I pursue. Baiting has nothing to do with hunting, but you all know that.

Quit lookin at my a$$

28-Feb-24
Well stop walking around without pants on.

28-Feb-24

Grey Ghost's Link
Study after study has proven bait sites concentrate the CWD prions and increase the transmission rates, including a host of other transmittable diseases and negative impacts. But deniers will deny.

28-Feb-24
Wisconsin state law requires that the DNR enact a three-year baiting and feeding ban in counties where CWD has been detected. They also ban baiting in adjoining counties. The issue here is twice in Washburn county the CWD detected the infected deer and Elk were in pens. Does this make any sense?

28-Feb-24
GG nailed it. Beyond CWD, I'm pretty sure there has been research related to other infection-causing factors worsening due to the deer concentration that occurs when baiting.

Not sure the answer, but whether baiting makes sense seems to be at least a reasonable discussion to have.

28-Feb-24
Buffalo 1, Mississippi is my native state and I remember taking it pretty hard when about 5 or 6 years ago CWD was found there. As stated many times, baiting does not cause CWD. Concentrating a population on a 1 sq. ft. pile must me worse than a half acre food plot or a stand of oaks. Forrest, maybe that's why cattle salt has not been a problem in your area - prions are not there anyway? ( If you know, let me know).

28-Feb-24
Lots of guys are commenting o deer numbers being down in Kansas and are contributing it to CWD. I see deer and deer tracks pounding salt in Kansas. A deer licks it and then a buch of other deer and cattle lick it. But it doesn't help the cause so nobody talks about it.

28-Feb-24
Thats why its wide spread in states with no baiting and never had baiting. Water and salt.

28-Feb-24
How many salt blocks are in areas that are only AG/CRP/Riverbottom "waste land" do you reckon? Sorry but not even a blip on the radar compared to the number of failure piles and sadness spreaders.

28-Feb-24
Would be great if we could just get all the deer to just stay in the waste land.....but they dont. All the other land that is not waste land has salt all over it. The non waste land way out numbers the waste land. In the area of Kansas im in. Salt/mineral way out number corn piles/ feeders.

28-Feb-24
Salt is also a 365 all year deal. Bait it a couple of months in most cases.

28-Feb-24
I put mineral licks out for my horses and have never seen the deer touch them.. Regardless, whether or not salt blocks contribute to the spread of CWD doesn't negate the numerous studies that conclude bait sites do, as well as other negative impacts they have.

28-Feb-24
I also hunt around Eureka Forest, I'm sorry but that's just not accurate.

28-Feb-24
Baiting has been banned here in Michigan for several years now after the discovery of CWD. Baiting to me seems like a lazy way to kill a deer.

28-Feb-24
I Guarantee that today February 28th Salt blocks out number bait 100-1 in the area around eureka Kansas. Or any part of Kansas.

28-Feb-24
I can take a shit in a box and mark it "guaranteed", doesn't make it so. You're wrong.

28-Feb-24
You can shit and fall in it for all i care but you know im right. Very few people feed deer all year but every cow in Kansas has salt all year.

28-Feb-24
That's not nice, and no...you're still wrong. Doesn't really matter though, baiting hurts more than just deer and that's proven as well. At some point, you and your clients are going to have to learn to hunt...might as well start now.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear