kadbow 01-Mar-24
dizzydctr 01-Mar-24
Two dogs mobile 02-Mar-24
BUCKeye 02-Mar-24
Pat Lefemine 02-Mar-24
BUCKeye 02-Mar-24
BULELK1 04-Mar-24
29-Feb-24
Anyone have or operate one of these? I am looking at the Milwaukee Brand. Mainly this brand as i already have a half dozen of the M18 batteries and charger.

Any comments on chain, sharpening, ease of use. What other brands are out there? Stihl? Thanks!

29-Feb-24
Can’t speak to Milwaukee, but have a Greenworks pole saw and a small Greenworks chain saw. They both punch about their weight, but they are 40V. I don’t think I would want an 18V.

29-Feb-24
I have the Milwaukee pole saw and chainsaw. The 18V battery is a nonissue for me as I can do more cutting than I want to on a battery. I also have a multitude of other Milwaukee tools so I have a large collection of batteries. I've had the pole saw for 5 or 6 years and I have not needed to sharpen the chain yet.

29-Feb-24
I have the 20V DeWalt pole saw. Its a life saver when it comes to cutting shooting lanes. I would guess the Milwaukee is as good or better. I have not had to sharpen the chain yet, and it has cut tons of wood. Great product!!

29-Feb-24
I bought a DeWalt 20 V and it works like a champ. Like you mainly because all my power tools were DeWalt and the batteries can be expensive. Liked it so much I bought another one ,,, actually 2 more and leave one at my farmer's in the Midwest. The chain is durable and a non issue because they can be replaced fairly inexpensively.

29-Feb-24
The irritating thing about the DeWalt is you cant put another middle section in it to get extra length. They are keyed to prevent that from working.

29-Feb-24
I have a Dewalt as well, get the 5amp battery or better as it makes a big difference. Had a cheapo 20v Black & Decker for years that worked great, and much lighter than the Dewalt.

29-Feb-24
I have the Ryobi and it works well. I'll be using it this weekend working on deer stands.

29-Feb-24
You’ll be fine with the Milwaukee! My brother got the Hoyman or however it’s spelt and it’s a POS. $300 post holder in the barn. He’s picking up the dewalt one as we have dewalt kit at the farm with tons of batteries.

29-Feb-24
I bought the Dewalt because I already had the batteries. One of the best tool purchases I have ever made. I can take the middle extension out and use it as a shorter saw or run it full length. Sharpening a chain is a non issue to me as I run chainsaws all year. I keep an extra chain handy. Great for trimming around the farm or putting up tree stands. Liked it so much I bought a 12” saw too.

29-Feb-24
A couple buddies bought a Hooeyman, and their assessment was the same as MA-PA’s. Sounds like the Milwaukee and the Dewalt ones are much better units. I’ve always used a Stihl telescoping saw, and it works great for most of my trimming needs. I’ve also got a Stihl gas powered pole saw, and it is an incredible cutting machine. You’ll end up with sore shoulders if you use it for quite awhile, but it’s well worth it. I’m always amazed at how well it cuts, even through 12”-18” branches.

29-Feb-24
Get the Milwaukee you’ll wonder why you r waited so long. Pay attention to the bar oil level in the head you’ll be good. Have never ran through a battery even cutting through oak. Get the 4 foot extension right away

29-Feb-24
I have Stihl tools, gas chain saw that doesn't get used much anymore except for bigger trees, and battery chain saw, pole saw, leaf blower, weed trimmer. They've all been great tools. It's helpful to pick a brand and use it for most things to keep battery and charger inventory under control.

29-Feb-24
I have the pole saw and the pruning saw. They are both beasts. I use them all the time around the farm and putting up stands on my lease. Never will use a gas saw again. a great purchase if you have the batteries.

29-Feb-24
Thanks guys. Looks like i will be getting an early fathers day present. I will get the extension to keep me out of trouble.

29-Feb-24
Troy… how long will that Stihl extend to?

29-Feb-24
BC173……the Stihl I have extends to 18’ I believe. It’s probably 10-12 years old, and the locking teeth on the telescoping shafts are pretty much worn out now. I jerry-rigged it with a couple of wingnutted bolts and some strategically drilled holes, and it works, but a bit of a PIA now. A buddy got me a 20’ EZ Kut pole saw this fall, and it is a very well made telescoping saw, as well. If you’re looking for a quality manual pole saw, you wouldn’t go wrong with either one, IMO.

29-Feb-24
Thanks buddy. I’m looking to upgrade from a harbor freight POS. Extremely heavy and don’t extend past 10 ft.

29-Feb-24
I've had a Hoyman for maybe 10 years.. I consider it to be well made and a good tool. The only thing bad is don't leave the battery plugged in charger after charge is completed forever like other systems. (found out the hard way, should have read instructions. Had to buy a new battery the second year I had it) Otherwise no problems, chain sharpens easy like any other saw.

01-Mar-24
I really like my Ryobi 18v trimmer for yard/tree work ect.

The 4ft extension is really nice.

I don't tree stand hunt, so I haven't used it for that type of application.

Good luck, Robb

01-Mar-24
I have a Milwaukee. As other have stated, simply because I have a stack of batteries. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy Dewalt if I already had those batteries as well. I wouldn’t buy the Hooyman, everything I’ve ever see from them I would classify as junk. I’m Betting the STIHL is a fine saw, but I won’t buy battery stuff as a one off, and I don’t have any other Stihl battery stuff. My STIHL gas pole saw is a beast but way more than I need for treestand work.

I see the chain as a non issue. 100% replaceable and easy to get. That said I’ve never had to replace my Milwaukee chain. Someone mentioned Dewalt won’t let you add extra extension in their system. That isn’t the case for Milwaukee, I think you could add 10 if you wanted to. I bought one extra. You can get separate heads (sting trimmer, blower, etc) to go on the pole system as well, but I have not felt the need for those personally.

—Jim

01-Mar-24

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Milwaukee fan too. The lack of an extension would be a deal killer for DeWalt.

I’ve owned Black and Decker and Hoeyman. Never again.

One thing not mentioned is you can buy the pruning shears attachment for the Milwaukee pole saw for easy shooting lane trimming for prickers, cedars, and small branches. It’s a must have.

01-Mar-24
Again folks, I appreciate all the comments. Yeah, looks like that brush trimmer attachment could clear you a swathe in a hurry.

01-Mar-24
Maybe I've had good experience with my Hooyman is because I've only used it maybe 2 hours in 10 years..? LOL

01-Mar-24
I also have the Stihl gas power and it's a beast. But you better be a beast as well cutting overhead with that thing for very long haha !

01-Mar-24
My buddy has the Stihl battery pole saw, it works great and extends far. Those narrow chains on the battery saws really zip through wood.

01-Mar-24
A few years back on the recommendations of a few of my friends who work for the local electric co-op, I bought a Milwaukee polesaw and have never regretted it. I also have a gas powered Stihl and Husqvarna that I owned previously that now gather dust as I rarely use them. I recently added the string trimmer attachment and now my gas powered trimmers are idle. It is so much easier to shove in a battery and get to working without fooling with gasoline and carburetors, pull cords, etc.. I have since added a 16 inch chainsaw, skill saw, blower, hedge trimmer, 3/4 inch impact wrench, Sawzall, angle grinder, air inflator, fan and work light. I also have the M12 system with a 6 inch pruning saw and a Dremel like tool. I don't recall having any issues with any of the tools. My preference in the batteries are the 6.0 Ah. I can buy 2 for about the price of a single 9.0 or 12.0 A and their combined run time appears to be longer than the 9 or 12. I have DeWalt drills and hammer-drills and they do a good job also, just have no experience with their other tools. I have no plans to get rid of my gas powered tools as they have their place, but frequently find myself working on the tools instead of with them.

02-Mar-24
I have a Ryobi. It does what I need it to do.

02-Mar-24
I'm looking hard at the Milwaukee M18 now. It says 11 ft reach and that's with one 3' extension, is that correct? Could I theoretically add three more 3' extensions to get 20' total?

02-Mar-24
Buckeye. I don’t think you can add more extensions than just the one. The pole will flex too much. I’ve never tried it but it’s gonna start arching too much which will really put a lot of torque on the driveshaft.

02-Mar-24
Just read more and that's what the manufacturer says too. Thanks.

04-Mar-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
ON sale now Amazon Prime, if ya have a H-Depot close to ya and are a Veteran ya get another 10% off.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear