StickFlicker 13-Mar-24
Old School 13-Mar-24
StickFlicker 13-Mar-24
Beendare 13-Mar-24
808bowhunter 13-Mar-24
BOHNTR 13-Mar-24
Nyati 13-Mar-24
01-Mar-24
Surprise didn't draw an elk tag in Arizona. 20 years and still donating to the legal Ponzi scheme. I am starting to wonder if I will hunt there before I die. Would be worse if I draw and can't physically hunt elk. My wife asked me when I applied this year if I was stupid or stubborn, my response was both I guess. Would be great if there was a way to give, not sell, my points to whoever I choose. I started applying at age 55, thinking at that time that 6 points would get the tag, definitely thought wrong. But hey maybe NM this year.

01-Mar-24
20 points will get you a great elk hunt in Arizona! Maybe not in one of the "top" units, but still a great elk hunt.

01-Mar-24
Quit applying for "the best" units. Too many people get caught up in "top tier" units and only apply for those. The reality is every unit in AZ holds great bulls. The "top tier" units don't have 400" bulls behind every tree. I know NRs who are drawing every handful of years and have killed 360" + bulls in the "lesser" units. It doesn't have to take 20 + years to draw AZ elk tags as a NR.

02-Mar-24
Pretty easy to see what a guy can and can't draw. The choice is yours to make.

02-Mar-24
Be strategic when you apply… unless you want the absolute top shelf…you can draw a really good hunt next year guaranteed.

02-Mar-24
I’ve been applying the same 20 years and have drawn 3 elk tags. Different strokes for different folks. Good luck next year.

PS: If you draw in the future and don’t go you can donate your tag to a Purple Heart Recipient.

13-Mar-24
Yes it is getting harder to draw i started applying when i was 56 and planned this to be my retirement Dream Hunt, at the time it was averaging 8 or 9 points to draw this zone so the plan was i would be right there when i retired. Well with 15 points still haven't drawn and will be 71 before i get a chance so far in good health but see so many my age go down hill so fast .My wife wants me to give up but even if i have to crawl around out there still will try.Hope it comes soon!!

13-Mar-24
Before I became a resident, I drew 4 bull elk tags in 22 years as a NR. Arrowed P&Y bulls on those hunts, as well. If you’re only putting in for a top tier unit, you can’t expect to draw in a timely manner.

13-Mar-24
Glad I read this. I was considering giving up as I have only been getting points in AZ for two years and thought it took forever. Now knowing if you don't shoot for the moo. Drawing a tag isn't impossible.

13-Mar-24
It's simple math, kind of. For a given hunt code, total applicants at your point level and above, divided by the number of bonus pass tags, equals the number of years it will take for you to draw that hunt in the bonus pass. Obviously that changes as tag quotas drop, applicants can also change hunt codes, and you don't know how many people will go from points only to applying for your hunt. You can also draw in the random 1-2 pass where they issue 80% of the tags, and your points give you the advantage of more random numbers. The idea that "it took x points to draw when I started, so I'll draw in x years" is not how it works when points are involved. I drew this year and am back to 2 points. At 68 I will keep applying but what I apply for will certainly change. Spanning two years with the license helps but it's still close to $100/year.

13-Mar-24
It was my understanding that points played no role in random draw. At least that’s what my outfitter in AZ told me. So , does more points give u more chances in random draw or do they not ?

13-Mar-24
In the random? Yes. The more points you have the better the chances of obtaining a computer assigned number low enough to draw your particular unit. Sort of like playing the lotto….you could win with one ticket…..but your odds slightly increase the more you buy (have).

13-Mar-24
Nyati, you must have misunderstood them. If an outfitter truly told you that, you NEED to find a different outfitter! They are incompetent. That's exactly what bonus points ARE. They are additional chances in the random drawing along with the somewhat guaranteed additional benefit that there will ultimately be a time when, no matter how unlucky you've been in the random drawing over the years, you will eventually get a tag when you've reached the top percentage of people that have accumulated the most points for the hunt to which you are applying. While they aren't technically additional tickets in the drawing, for practical purposes that's probably the easiest way to view them.

13-Mar-24
And if you’ve got toprut - you can see that your points do affect drawing odds in the random. Manually change what your points are in toprut and the odds reflect those changes.

13-Mar-24

StickFlicker's Link
For those that are contemplating applying for a more "mid-tier" unit rather than waiting a lot more years for the most premium units, you should buy a record book to see which mid-tier units are producing large bulls in recent years. If you've been applying for a premium unit, I assume it's because you are hoping to have the chance at larger bulls. The P&Y record book lists the county that each record was taken in, and the year it was taken. However, for as low as $25 the Arizona state bowhunting record book shows the actual hunt unit in which each trophy was taken (see link). There is even a summary at the back of the book that shows exactly how many record book entries have come from each unit, for every species. The work has been done for you! Some of the counties in Arizona are huge. The arguably "best" elk county has probably 8-10 different hunt units inside of it, so a unit breakdown is much more helpful than just the county. You can order a book at the link.

13-Mar-24
Saying, “I drew a bunch of tags in the past” is a mischaracterization of the current situation.

13-Mar-24
I have been applying for a good unit for 12 years now without drawing. Nor expected to. I got my partner to put in with 3points this year separately and he drew. You have to play the game if you want even a slim chance.

13-Mar-24
“Saying, “I drew a bunch of tags in the past” is a mischaracterization of the current situation.”

No, it’s really not. I know of two NR’s who drew archery bull tags in good units with less than 7 points. So it does still occur.

13-Mar-24
Thanks guys

• Sitka Gear