Jasper 08-Mar-24
Jasper 08-Mar-24
Jasper 08-Mar-24
Nyati 08-Mar-24
Nyati 08-Mar-24
wytex 09-Mar-24
Jasper 09-Mar-24
04-Mar-24
I’ve been on one antelope hunt so would appreciate some advice for a southern boy. An Air Force buddy and I want to go on an antelope DIY bow hunt this year. We have 3 points total for WY. Don’t care about trophy potential, just want to go enjoy ourselves. When I drew in 2022 I had 8 points so that wasn’t an issue. Don’t know what issues there are on the low point units. We’d be fine paying a trespass fee. I’ve looked at the odds and data on the Wyoming website and plan on calling a few biologists but have always gotten good advice here. Or would we be better off applying for Montana? Do the low point areas have less antelope or more access issues or both? Thanks and God bless! John

04-Mar-24
Most of WY got hit really hard by the winter last year, especially mature bucks. I'd look at Montana if I were you

04-Mar-24
Montana is not in much better shape than Wy . If you do draw Mt let me know and I can help you get started. Hunt

04-Mar-24
Neither they are both in poor shape.

04-Mar-24
We have some decent areas still in Wyoming but not quite for your PPs. Areas around us did ok and have good numbers going into Spring but take more PPs.

05-Mar-24
How does the 25% tag thing work? Wouldn’t I have a chance, albeit small of drawing a good unit that I don’t have enough points for in WY?

05-Mar-24
25% of tags go for a random draw so yes, you would always have a chance.

05-Mar-24
How is the Montana antelope draw different? You’re not applying for a particular unit, right?

05-Mar-24
I didn’t draw montana with 2PP last year, it’s hard to draw anywhere this days

05-Mar-24
Are you willing to pay for the special in Wyoming? With the price hike this year your 3 points might get you more then you'd think if applying in the special.

05-Mar-24
There are still portions of WY that have plenty of antelope. My group of 3 killed 3 respectable bucks bowhunting in 3 days last fall in WY.

05-Mar-24
Yes I’d buy the special tag for sure. I’m not getting any younger and am beyond the point of putting stuff off if I can help it. A buddy of mine, a few years older than me came down with a medical issue out of the blue and his hunting is sadly over. God bless and thanks everyone! (If anyone knows of any ranch trespass fee opportunities please message me)

05-Mar-24
Dec and Jan lope numbers in Wy were terrible. Places I would normally see double digit numbers of goats I was seeing none. I bet I seen 1/10 of what I normally have. I wish the F&G would lay off a year on mule deer and pronghorn

07-Mar-24
1200 for a special tag, not sure if it’s worth it though

07-Mar-24
A lot of the antelope areas that have better draw odds are eastern private lands so expect to pay outfitter or landowner. Public lands further west are tougher to draw and have had recent winter kill

07-Mar-24
How long does it take for Antelope numbers to rebound?

07-Mar-24
I have a friend that had thousands of antelope migrate through his ranch every year. He said he believes it will be a decade for them to fully recover. I believe biologists are much more optimistic and say more like 3-5 yr recovery.

07-Mar-24
3-5 good years in a row. The problem is getting winter to comply. With all the snow melt the range was in good shape so the survivor's were healthy last year. And as long as there's no last minute surprise this winter hasn't been bad.

07-Mar-24
Jasper I sent you a pm

07-Mar-24
1200 for a special tag, not sure if it’s worth it though

07-Mar-24

07-Mar-24
Montana is down from the winter kill of 22/23 in some areas around 40%. Going to be tough to ever get back to where we were a few years ago.

08-Mar-24
Thanks everyone for your help! Very much appreciated! God bless!

08-Mar-24
You can’t just buy a point in Montana like you can in WY, right? You have to apply for a hunt?

08-Mar-24
So what’s the best way to attempt to hunt private via a trespass fee? Find landowner contact information in an area you’re interested in via Onyx or similar and call? Thanks!

08-Mar-24
When I used to antelope hunt in WY the game and fish district offices had lists of landowners that allowed hunting for trespass fees that they would give out. IDK if they still do that, it’s been a while

08-Mar-24
When I used to antelope hunt in WY the game and fish district offices had lists of landowners that allowed hunting for trespass fees that they would give out. IDK if they still do that, it’s been a while

09-Mar-24
I use the county GIS maps and find their info online for the call.

09-Mar-24
Thanks Gregory and wy!

• Sitka Gear