DanaC 09-Mar-24
Bou'bound 09-Mar-24
DanaC 09-Mar-24
Kurt 09-Mar-24
Murph 09-Mar-24
nchunter 09-Mar-24
Pop-r 10-Mar-24
08-Mar-24
I’ve been shooting 4mm fmj but considering starting over with a new arrow setup because of inconsistency between field tips and iron will broadheads. Will switching to a larger diameter and or carbon arrows have any effect on accuracy at 40-60 yards?

08-Mar-24
No..

08-Mar-24
Before you invest borrow and try what you want to try or purchase one arrow and shoot. I dont see it changing accuracy if your hitting good at 30 and 35 Its the broadhead or your form

08-Mar-24
No it won’t. I like the 5mm axis it’s just a tad bigger the the ones your shooting now.

08-Mar-24
Not likely. Maybe in a crosswind. I’d start with a complete tune process. Check cam timing, bow specs, paper tune, proper arrow spine, weight, vane configuration.

09-Mar-24
Agree with blood, a good tune should shield similar POI out to 60 anyway I know guys that push an arrow hard, long draw for instance complain about the finicky tuning of the 4mm shafts myself think their the best shooting arrow I’ve ever deployed after switching last year tuned really well for me without a lot of headache and have appreciated the advantages in the wind for sure

09-Mar-24
What is a practical, not theoretical, advantage of 4mm over 5mm

09-Mar-24
Broadheads will NEVER fly like field points no matter what the broadhead manufacturer says. Like stated above, you need to make sure your bow is tuned. When you get the same point of impact with the two, around 50-60 yards you will start to see the broadheads hitting lower due to drag of the blades. Going from a .166 to a .204 or .246 isn’t going to change this.

09-Mar-24
Assuming a perfectly tuned bow in the hands of a good shooter, poor broadhead flight with 4mm shafts has much more to do with the outsert (more likely used than an insert) alignment than shaft diameter.

09-Mar-24
What is a practical, not theoretical, advantage of 4mm over 5mm

09-Mar-24
^^ Super skinny shafts are less affected by a crosswind. Unless you're shooting long range that doesn't matter so much. (Think Olympics - 77 yards/70 meters.)

09-Mar-24
^^^^ highly Theoretical for even a much above average Bowhunter accuracy-wise. While Technically correct t is practically irrelevant in the field for hunting situations with hunters. What else is a 4mm pitch ?

09-Mar-24
^^ actually, it might be more relevant to a hunter in the mountains where strong winds are more common. I'll stick with my 244's.

09-Mar-24
I've used 4mm Easton Carbon Injexions for a decade. Great mountain hunting shaft for me that is tough as heck but now obsolete. No tuning or penetration issues as my arrows weigh 472 grains. Used Firenock outserts so I could use regular (not Deep 6) threaded broadheads, but also put the Easton stainless steel Deep 6 (22 grains) insert in the arrow for extra reinforcing at the front of the arrow and a bit more FOC as I shoot 100 gr broadheads.

09-Mar-24
Regardless of arrow diameter or not does it make enough difference to the average guy, I feel like all advantages in archery should pertain to the average guy cuz he needs to squeeze every last inch of forgiveness and accuracy out of his rig cuz he’s just average on his best day, someone like Levi Morgan with endless amounts of talent is actually the guy that needs it least in a hunting situation the difference is those pros are all so good you have to split hairs on everything in the competitive world

09-Mar-24
I was shooting a tournament with a guy using the .166 diameter arrows. They would go so deep in the targets that they were a pain to pull out. I use .246 victory and they do everything I need just fine.My iron will non vented hit exactly where my field points hit.

10-Mar-24
Absolutely not. Unless perhaps the fmj's are somehow "damaged" which is why I never went with them. They can be bent and you wouldn't know it.

• Sitka Gear