Sam 25-Mar-24
Mike Ukrainetz 01-Apr-24
10-Mar-24

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Ryan and Charly Petersen from New Jersey
Ryan and Charly Petersen from New Jersey

Mike Ukrainetz's Link
Hello Bowsiters, I’m a bit late on doing our annual success thread, been working on updating our website instead, but better late than never. The website will have new pictures and prices up soon too. Meanwhile…

We had another successful hunting season in the fall of 2023! It did have its high and lows though. I’ll go through it all over the next couple of weeks, so please be patient, lots of animals to display.

Ryan Petersen got one of the first animals of the year with his dad Charly. Charly has hunted with us before but hasn’t had the best of luck. He was thrilled with his son’s luck this time around. Ryan shot this deer at 50 yards with the guidance of my main guide, Gerard Van Den Boogaard, but the hit wasn’t immediately lethal, after the shot they lost track of the buck in a big regrowth field. They left it alone for a couple hours and then put Charly on a possible escape route for the deer while guide Gerard and Ryan did some still hunting and glassing through the flat, brushy field.

They unknowingly ended up bumping the deer straight to Charly and caught him off guard, with his hand held release aid still in his pocket. The buck was suddenly coming right at him, head down at 12 yds, Charly quickly loaded an arrow, drew back with his fingers and made the now 8 yd finishing shot, he didn’t go far. Very exciting for Charly!

10-Mar-24

194 5/8 gross Pope and Young score
194 5/8 gross Pope and Young score
Mass, mass and more mass!
Mass, mass and more mass!
9 lbs 11 oz is amazing weight for a set of antlers!
9 lbs 11 oz is amazing weight for a set of antlers!
On a side note, Charly’s group of 3 hunters was originally booked for 2020, then Covid Lockdowns pushed it to 2021 which wasn’t going to be a problem since the border was going to be open “next month” once they “flattened the curve” and slowed the spread. Such complete bulls**t. The border did finally open in July of 2021 but Charly couldn’t make it on such short notice and our government overlords had the nonsensical Covid vaccination requirements so the hunt got delayed all the way to 2023. I gave Charly and gang full credit for their original hunt deposit while we took out greatly discounted Canadians. I was once again so grateful to have my American hunters back! I love my Canadian brothers but we couldn’t make it financially doing personalized, guided hunts with them. There just isn’t enough money in it, but anyway, I don’t want to turn this into a political, Covid lockdown debate thread, let’s just enjoy the hunting!

10-Mar-24
I love looking at great mule deer a d that is definatley one.

10-Mar-24
That’s a monster.

10-Mar-24
Been waiting on this one Mike! Im ready to get there. Is it August yet?

10-Mar-24
That’s a heavyweight I’d say Mike. Almost 10 pounds of bone.

Congrats to all.

11-Mar-24

Terry Scott from Kansas
Terry Scott from Kansas
Jackson had hunted moose quite a bit with a rifle and he couldn’t believe a guy could just call them in so close in an open field! Terry was impressed too.
Jackson had hunted moose quite a bit with a rifle and he couldn’t believe a guy could just call them in so close in an open field! Terry was impressed too.
Terry drove all the way up from Kansas so he could take all of the delicious moose meat home and he got his bull on the first day of hunting August 25th with my new guide Jackson Surbey. Jackson had never guided bowhunters before but we gave him a few tips on calling moose, and getting them in close and he got this bull right into 35 yards for Terry to make one perfect shot.

(Terry was another Covid delayed hunter from 2021, deposit moved to 2023.)

13-Mar-24

Blake Luse from Montana
Blake Luse from Montana
Broadhead was still sharp!
Broadhead was still sharp!
My lovely daughter Brooke with Blake’s antlers.
My lovely daughter Brooke with Blake’s antlers.
Blake has hunted with us several times, driving up from Montana, a 13 hour drive from his home. He killed this 174 gross score buck on the 2nd day of the season with a 73 yd shot. The shot didn’t hit quite where he expected…but it dropped him on the spot!

Blake was another Covid delayed Hunter, full deposit moved to 2023.

13-Mar-24

Blake and his moose.
Blake and his moose.
Blake got this big, bodied older bull with another 73 yd shot. He hit this one perfect with a double lunger. Blake was hunting with my guide Cody Reid in our East zone.

(We do have a moose hunt open for this zone for this fall if anyone is interested, $6500 hunt cost.)

15-Mar-24

Mike Meagher from North Dakota
Mike Meagher from North Dakota
Not much cover, how do you get 16 yds away?!
Not much cover, how do you get 16 yds away?!
Ryan did get a coyote with his bow and he rebooked for the next few years.
Ryan did get a coyote with his bow and he rebooked for the next few years.
Mike came on his muley bowhunt Aug 31 to Sept 6 with his buddy Ryan Such. Ryan hunted with us last year along with his son Alex and Alex got a nice 170 class buck, Ryan had opportunities but no kill.

Unfortunately he got the same experience in 2023, chances but no dice and the guy he brought on the hunt killed one. Mike’s buck scored 155. He took it on a spot and stalk hunt out in a big open, flat farm field with a 16 yd shot! I don’t remember the details on how they got so close and pulled it off. Usually if you get too close the deer bust you, I prefer to stay 30+ yds away, stopping a stalk at 40 is perfect!

15-Mar-24

We were plagued with day after day of no wind, just calm shifty winds. And the farmers were out working their fields with an early crop harvest. Gerard resorted to stealing a guys combine and seeing if he could get close that way! It almost worked…

15-Mar-24

We also tried a tree stand for this giant buck that was bedding in the unhuntable trees and feeding in a regrowth field. It was soo close for a couple of different hunters. 190+ typical

15-Mar-24
Mike, if you get one like that patterned, I will live in a tree if you tell me to…

15-Mar-24
Haha Sam, yeah that would be nice! Damn muleys don’t like to pattern too often. He liked to go through the gate in the very early morning most days, tough to get in place in the dark with the right wind. Every once in a while he would do an evening walk through.

16-Mar-24

Brooke Ukrainetz from Alberta
Brooke Ukrainetz from Alberta
Our 16 yr old daughter Brooke killed her elk with one 18 yard shot. She had been sitting a tripod stand near a field edge and had passed up two different cow elk at under 25 yds. She said they were mommy elk with calves and she didn’t want to shoot them. I called her a wuss and said, “fine then, we will go for a big hike and call in a bull” we did and she shot it, bugles at first then cow calls to bring it in close. Public land on Aug 29th.

18-Mar-24

Neal Finke from Minnesota
Neal Finke from Minnesota
Neal shot this heavy, 6 by 5 bull at 20 yds with guide Gerard on September 8th on our elk and moose combo hunt.

18-Mar-24
Nice Mike! Great thread especially you’re daughters elk.

20-Mar-24

The whole family packing it out! The wife with the heaviest load.
The whole family packing it out! The wife with the heaviest load.
Thanks Randy, that was a very special moment with my daughter!

20-Mar-24

Joe Rinckey from Michigan
Joe Rinckey from Michigan
Gerard called this bull into 18 yards in an open farm field and Joe made a great shot. The bull bolted away, Gerard called some more and he went back into rutting display mode while Joe nocked another arrow and shot him again at 30 yds. He didn’t go far after that! Wearing black and acting like a moose worked once again, no hiding needed. September 11th kill.

20-Mar-24

Mike Mislivecek from Wisconsin
Mike Mislivecek from Wisconsin
Mike shot this bull 50 yds after a hurried and missed shot at 45. They left the bull for a couple hours after the 50 yard, low chest/leg hit and then got on him again at 35. One more finishing shot and Mike had his moose! Sept 12th kill.

20-Mar-24

It was steep but short. Big Neal Finke was a beast, packing most of it himself!
It was steep but short. Big Neal Finke was a beast, packing most of it himself!
Gerard had to recruit some of the hunters in camp to cut up and pack the bull out of the river valley. No one has to help out that can’t do it, even with their own animal, we guides can get it done but you are always welcome to help! No pack out is more than about two hours one way, with 50-100 lbs, if you are in decent shape.

21-Mar-24

Guide Gerard
Guide Gerard
And then after all of our bowhunters went home Gerard went out to get an elk for himself. He got it in one day, Sept 15th on the edge of a canola field, no packing for this one!

Our bowhunts generally end at this point but some hunters still come to bowhunt moose till Oct 7th. They can use a rifle or bow beginning Sept 24 for moose.

21-Mar-24
Good stuff, Mike! That was good thinking on your part to take your pack off before you took the selfie pick with the family. Pics are a lot steadier that way ;-)

23-Mar-24
Yep, I’m the guide, not a pack mule! Haha

23-Mar-24

I’ll change things up a bit here and do the pics and story from my newly created 2023 Fall Hunts Album. We have this at the lodge and everybody seems to enjoy going through it.

25-Mar-24

Here’s some of the elk we took on our rut, rifle hunts in September.

25-Mar-24
Spring bear can’t get here soon enough!!

01-Apr-24

A giant elk for us, 320! And a big bull moose.
A giant elk for us, 320! And a big bull moose.
Last week of elk rifle hunts in 2023.

• Sitka Gear