WV Mountaineer 15-Mar-24
WV Mountaineer 15-Mar-24
HDE 15-Mar-24
Orion 15-Mar-24
HDE 15-Mar-24
midwest 15-Mar-24
HDE 15-Mar-24
13-Mar-24
Anybody using the Sig Sauer stabilizing binos? What are your thoughts on them and the different models?

13-Mar-24
I tried them out at TAC last year. Game changer. Amazing. You’ll never need a tri-pod again. And pricing was pretty reasonable.

13-Mar-24
I head similar to what Blood says from a friend. I haven't tried them myself but would like to.

13-Mar-24
I'll stick with my non stabilized Swarovski's

13-Mar-24
Have used mine for almost two years. First hunt was an off range oryx hunt. Second was UT antelope along with all the scouting involved. The advantage to quickly glass at distance as though they're on a tripod doesn't compare. Glad I invested in a pair.

Having to put 15x's on a tripod and set them up each time you want to do some long range glassing the way you do oryx/antelope hunting is, well, neolithic.

Orion - I'm sorry...

13-Mar-24
Stabilized or not the glass is subpar

13-Mar-24
Say what u will about the glass but I love mine and would leave any other binos in the truck. BTW I have the 16s. Incredible for open country mule deer.

13-Mar-24
Say what u will about the glass but I love mine and would leave any other binos in the truck. BTW I have the 16s. Incredible for open country mule deer.

13-Mar-24
Have looked through them multiple times and it’s incredible. Will be pulling the trigger on the 12s or 16s (they are the same size and weight, as are the 20s) this year as well as the new Zulu10 10x50. Sig optics are legit.

14-Mar-24
Legit compared to what? I'm actually curious.

14-Mar-24
How much of the price is accounted for by the stabilization system versus how much goes into the glass quality?

14-Mar-24
^^^^ if I paid $3k for a pair of optics, I'd be worried about that as well for the feel good justification...

14-Mar-24
I checked some stabilized glass many years ago side by side with my SLC’s. The stabilization is nice but the glass didn’t have the resolution.

I too saw Cory Jacobsen talking these up….maybe the glass is better, I haven’t seen the new ones. If those new Sig’s are made in Japan- maybe….if its China, then it will probably be like the cheaper Vortex line- sub par glass.

14-Mar-24
Practically speaking, I prefer my 10x Leicas for close -in and timber hunting because they can be in action instantly. The Sig 16x do what people have already mentioned. Great for open country long range glassing. Ergonomically, they are a bit ungainly though. Sometimes it's hard to decide which to wear.

14-Mar-24
FYI I am retired and have no financial interest in any sporting product. The future is image stabilization. I have used image stabilize Zeiss 20x60 binos for years. I don’t Care what kind of glass you have, there is no comparison to image stabilization esp on a windy day including big wind. I used my sig sauer 16 last year for archery deer (including final stalk) and Found them amazing. Also used for Nv elk and Ca sheep hunt. To some degree I agree w the comment regarding dense timber and Would likely use my small Leica 10s. For sure there is an issue w $3000 price tag justification for the best glass. The real proof is functionality in the field.

14-Mar-24
FYI I am retired and have no financial interest in any sporting product. The future is image stabilization. I have used image stabilize Zeiss 20x60 binos for years. I don’t Care what kind of glass you have, there is no comparison to image stabilization esp on a windy day including big wind. I used my sig sauer 16 last year for archery deer (including final stalk) and Found them amazing. Also used for Nv elk and Ca sheep hunt. To some degree I agree w the comment regarding dense timber and Would likely use my small Leica 10s. For sure there is an issue w $3000 price tag justification for the best glass. The real proof is functionality in the field.

14-Mar-24
"Legit compared to what? I'm actually curious."

Probably against optics that don't have image lock or stabilization...

15-Mar-24
Really so your comparing Sig to my NL pures because they have stabilization?

15-Mar-24
Not saying they are optically equal. My comments and experiences (as well as others in the hunting industry) lead me to the conclusion that I would hunt w the image stabilized sigs and leave any other binos in the truck. Your conclusions may be different. Good luck

15-Mar-24
Yes. I am comparing these particular Sigs to your NL Pures in regard to a stable picture freehand and not on a tripod in a 15x or 16x offering.

Orion, if you looked through these Sigs freehand at an antelope buck at 2,000 yds away and then freehand with your Pures, you understand why...

15-Mar-24
I'd understand that the glass isn't even in the same class

15-Mar-24
No skin in the game here as I don't have either the Pures or the Sigs... Orion, is it the case that the pures could have far (far) superior glass, but not allow the user to be able to see an image as well in some situations (e.g., free hand at distance, windy, etc) due to the lack of stabilization?

Just so I'm clear-- not trying to knock on the pures as they are the cats ass/cream of the crop glass!

15-Mar-24
In HDE's example I don't know too many guys that are glassing over a mile away and not using a tripod but hey you do you. I'd also like to know how much you guys must shake as I've never had an issue glassing game without a tripod and getting a clear picture. If you shake that bad maybe you shouldn't be handling a weapon. I'm also just wondering how guys are comparing these to alpha glass. There are usually only a couple of reasons, one they have never looked or used alpha glass, or two they are on the "pro staff"

15-Mar-24
Orion, the thread is about imagine stabilization, not a compare/contrast of who has the best lens grind (aka "best glass"). You went ahead and told the world what you preferred, so good on you?

I'm also glad you're rock solid holding binos that weigh close to 2 lbs for extended periods of time free hand.

If you want to glass long distance at one spot for hours on a tripod without seeing what's just over the next rise on an uneven terrain while antelope or in my case off range oryx hunting, then you keep doing you. Good luck spotting a critter though because you're not mobile enough. Little bit of a pain to have to setup a tripod each time you stop to glass a mile away to see what's up ahead of you when you stop every 200 yds to glass.

I'll take my Sig image stabilizing binos over your Pures any day for what I use them for...

15-Mar-24
You’re hiking up a mountain, breathing hard. Some cross wind. You hear a bugle. Take out the Sigs on the fly and glass the next finger over. Turn on the image stabilization. Game changer. Spot the bull. Keep moving. That’s what would be important to me.

15-Mar-24
HDE pretty sure I've killed more off range oryx then you without using image stabilizing binos. Amazing I could even find them.

15-Mar-24
Orion has got the best for him. These other guys got what was the best for them.

I like it. Everyone that posted on the thread likes it. Except Orion.

15-Mar-24
Hey Scoot, I think I just figured out who you got me confused with!!!!

15-Mar-24
Orion, I bet you have as well since I haven't had them very long. I also know that using them compared to the setup you use by mounting 2 lb binos on a tripod is way more versatile. I've done both and prefer the Sig setup. You might too if you gave it a try.

FYI - We've killed 8 off range in my household and only one has been with the image stability Sigs. I've been with others for off range for a kill of 4 more using the tripod setup and three more off range where we didn't kill but should've. That's not throwing in any on range hunts either.

But by golly, with at least 14 off range kills under your belt using tripod mounted Pure's, you got me...

15-Mar-24
I killed them long before I had the pure's

15-Mar-24
^^^ me too. So, how many? Maybe I can learn something different to help us better going forward. Maybe even this license year if we're lucky.

15-Mar-24
Nice of you to keep an open mind, HDE, but obviously, whoever spends the most has the best system.

15-Mar-24
^^^ so I've been told. Many times...

• Sitka Gear