RonP 24-Mar-24
Saphead 24-Mar-24
Seth 24-Mar-24
HDE 24-Mar-24
Ursman 24-Mar-24
Glunt@work 24-Mar-24
20-Mar-24

20-Mar-24
I haven't watched the video, but to me the difference in weight between a medium vs larger pack is typically very little (maybe 1-2 pounds) but the difference in volume can be huge. I'd rather use a larger pack as my general "day pack" with straps cinched down, and have the volume available when needed after a kill, than have to return to camp/vehicle for a bigger pack.

To each their own, but I hunt with Sitka Mountain Hauler 6200 virtually all the time. Depending on conditions, sometimes I'll drop it for a final stalk, but often I'll keep it on. Nothing worse than dropping your pack for a stalk, then the stalk turning into an all day multi-mile endeavor and you left your food, water, and extra clothes behind.

20-Mar-24
"I'd rather use a larger pack as my general "day pack" with straps cinched down,".....me too.

20-Mar-24
I'm with Carl on this one! Often the difference is weight is even less than he indicated, so the weight penalty for a larger pack is often small. Some bigger packs are much heavier, but some cost very little weight compared to a pack that is 2000 smaller (even when generally comparing apples to apples).

20-Mar-24
FWIW, to me weight is an issue, but it's as much about comfort and how the pack fits me. I have gravitated more to smaller day pack designs as I leave it on continuously. I see folks struggling with off and on, off and on, when stalking, getting ready for the shot, etc and they end up never having their pack when they want it, or can't find it................ Once I get an animal down, I go back and get a meat hauler of a pack after I've carried the backstraps, tenderloins, extra cuts out in my day pack.

20-Mar-24
These days, the difference in weight between a decent day pack…and a larger meat hauler backpack that can Carry a lit is minimal.

My Exo is 6#…and it can carry enough gear for a 5 day solo backpack hunt no problem- been there done that

A guy could save a couple pounds with a small pack but then you lose the multi purpose utility thats nice to have on these hunts.

20-Mar-24
Depends on the hunt. If base camp is at the road, I like a big fanny pack with shoulder straps. Love not having a pack against my whole back. I can go back for the big pack when needed.

20-Mar-24
Mine is the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18....Perfect day type pack, plus you can pack loads with it!

20-Mar-24
Kifaru frame with hellbender bag. Small until you don’t want it to be. Comfy even when loaded heavy.

20-Mar-24
I swapped, 2 years ago, to a Kuiu Divide 1200. It's the size of a 4th graders school back pack ha ha ha.

But, with the expansion between the front and back pockets for a spotting scope, I can still carry a heavy coat, or what not, and all the other stuff I need including climbing sticks and platform. Not a lot of space for fluff, but it works and I cant be lured into bringing lots of extra.

Yes, I ponder giving it to my kids and buying a slightly bigger pack... But the reality is that I've used it for multiple seasons and it's worked out great. Sometimes, smaller is better... Sometimes, not. But it can be pretty nice.

20-Mar-24
I don’t own it anymore but I used to have a Kifaru T1. After the mods I did to it it came in at 5 lbs. that pack compressed very nicely for day hunts and I had the 7200 cubic inch capacity to pack out with if need be.

Now days I use a Kifaru duplex frame with cargo panel. Attached to the cargo panel is a large belt pouch and the old spotter pocket? (can’t remember the name of it) but my spotter, tripod, puffy and food for the day fit perfectly.

If I were to spike camp. I would just through a camp bag on the load shelf and head in.

21-Mar-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I had some Outpatient Preventative Skin cancer surgery last fall/November, and it was on both my shoulders right where my pack straps went over.

I still had an Elk tag to fill and my D-Ram tag to fill.

So, I went to a fanny pack and basically a kill/clean kit, first aid kit and a snack or two w/water bottle.

Talk about sweet and enjoyable.

Prep the boned off meat in a tree and air out overnight and then just go back in the next AM with pack frame and go from there.

I'm staying with it this year too.

Good luck, Robb

21-Mar-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Nice and clean

21-Mar-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I added a Turkey sit pad that worked out very nice without having to take the Fanny Pack off.

21-Mar-24

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Like I said, very lite compared to 33--37 lbs Day Pack with 'chit' I never use anyways to just under 11 lbs.

Good luck, Robb

22-Mar-24
Sometimes I have to use a smaller pack. Cause otherwise I fill it with all kinds of crap I actually don't need.

22-Mar-24
Don’t forget to pack your pill bottle and tampon.

22-Mar-24
I've learned I don't want a pack less than 2200 for elk day hunting. My day hunts are long though. I typically leave the trail at 5am and don't get back until 10pm. Bet food, kill kit, layers, water, 2200 is minimum for me.

22-Mar-24
My pack’s a Stone Glacier Kiowa 3200. I don’t carry anything I don't need, but I like having anything I might need with me. It weighs approx 16lbs loaded.

22-Mar-24
I don't have to carry as much as some of you fellas out west going in a long ways but I like to have enough room for what I need. I bought an Eberlestock pack frame last year.. attach my backpack to it..works good. I'm not sure what cubic inches my pack is

22-Mar-24
My next pack will be an EXO K4. Just sold my Kifaru DT2. I had for about 12 years and packed some loads with it. I don’t like top loading packs after using this one. I also like a bigger pack but carry a bare minimum and cinch it down while hunting.

22-Mar-24
Just get a nice day pack around 2800-3000 cubic inches with some side pockets and a great meat shelf so you can pack out when you kill. It will hold everything for a day hunt from camp and you can put a 1/4 in it plus extra meat when needed. Its gotta have a great skeleton and easy access to any compartment or zipper.

I had an EXO, but didn’t fully like the way it sat on my back or how you had to access it. I have a Kifaru now and it’s nicer, but still lacks some of the compartments I liked on the EXO. I can compress it down for day hunts and open it up for a spike camo or pack out. It fits me better with a heavy load than the EXO.

I can fly with it as a carry on. And it will everything a bigger or smaller pack can do.

24-Mar-24
i prefer a large fanny pack with shoulder straps. i have some off brand fanny pack for more than 25 years that has worked great. i can lash an extra jacket or small load to the top if needed.

as someone mentioned above, the larger the pack the more i tend to put it in. with water and food i try to keep the weight under 20 pounds.

the distance (from truck or camp) i am hunting, what i am hunting, where i am hunting, and time of year factor into what pack i take.

eberlestock doesn't seem to get much love but i prefer them to mystery ranch. a great all-around day pack is the eberlestock x2.

24-Mar-24
Fanny pack with a fold out thin shoulder pack that is hidden when just the fanny. 30 years. Love it . Cant find one like it, Its been sewn up and repaired 20 times

24-Mar-24
I’ve tried several options and have settled on a Stone Glacier Sky 5900. It cinches down to a great day pack size, or can easily expand to a multi day pack. The X curve frame fits me well and carries loads comfortably. It’s pretty well my do all pack now from shed hunting to backpacking to hunting.

24-Mar-24
I'd rather go with a smaller bag on a frame that has a load shelf to put the heavy load(s) between the bag and frame.

24-Mar-24
Does anyone know of a bino pack that has an attacheable holster for a handgun?

24-Mar-24
If I'm just doing a short morning or evening hunt, sometimes I dont use a pack. Bow, knife, binos, headlamp and maybe a snack. Hydrate before heading out.

• Sitka Gear