KSflatlander 20-Mar-24
Pop-r 20-Mar-24
peterk1234 20-Mar-24
IdyllwildArcher 21-Mar-24
TEmbry 21-Mar-24
Beendare 21-Mar-24
20-Mar-24

20-Mar-24
I still have my mummy bag issued when I was with the Marines in the 60s. I have not used one any better (Son-adult G-sons bowhunt & have bags). It is still in great shape & kept me warm in some pretty bad situations.. As a side not, I lived in a tent, on a mountain for six months. June thru Nov.. That bag served me well.

20-Mar-24
Not sure what those sleeping bags cost but I've used Kelty zero rated dri-down bags for most of my time in Alaska. I think I have 4 of them at various locations around the State of Alaska and in Arizona for my mountain hunts there. I seem to remember paying around $250 for them but I see they are $370 to $390 now. For the money, you can’t go wrong. At 6’ I own the long version.

20-Mar-24
Kelty equipment is haaaard to beat in my experience.

20-Mar-24
I gave up on mummy bags awhile ago. I have wide shoulders and just never could get comfortable. Use a Enlightend Equipment quilt now with a xtherm pad and love it.

20-Mar-24
I tried an Elightened Equip quilt and I just hated it. I'm a "very active sleeper" and I couldn't keep it covering me most of the time. I went to a WM Badger. It's technically too big for me, according to most, but I love it.

20-Mar-24
Have a mountain hardware lamina -30 for arctic that worked. Not Packable though

20-Mar-24
If you need one that cold rated maybe get a good liner too? Might help any bag.

20-Mar-24
Western Mountaineering makes the best. Very quality products.

I've used the military issued bags when I was a teenager or a little older. They are decent but don't hold a candle to today's down bags in reality.

20-Mar-24
Western mountaineering and feathered friends. Nothing comes close.

21-Mar-24
The best sub-zero sleeping bag is a regular sleeping bag. In a cabin. Next to a wood stove with a fire inside of it.

21-Mar-24
I go fully clothed when it gets that cold. Slept in -22 this last fall without a heater in a zero degree wiggys bag. That said it wasn’t a fun few nights and sleep wasn’t very restful lol

21-Mar-24
When you get to -20 or lower. A proper bag will weigh 5 pounds or more.

A couple of warm water bottles help. Also you can’t keep too big of a bag warm. You need to minimize the internal size. Or make it huge 10 pounds and wear clothes.

21-Mar-24

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Or wear a legit down coat and pants. And lay them over your bag at night

21-Mar-24
It's so rare for me to spend much time in those sub zero conditions...one bag built for it would be a waste. I would just get a larger Synthetic bag to go over my 20 deg down bag....but thats probably not the answer most want.

• Sitka Gear