Slate 26-Mar-24
Charlie Rehor 26-Mar-24
Slate 26-Mar-24
Bou'bound 28-Mar-24
Bou'bound 28-Mar-24
Ken 28-Mar-24
Franzen 31-Mar-24
24-Mar-24
Just curious what your cut off is for having an animal mounted. I have very little room left for mounts ( small house not lots of animals)

In the past we I have given mounts away to make room for new stuff but those days are over.

So I guess my question again is … is size or memory more important and what is your minimum?

24-Mar-24

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Switched to euros about 10 years ago. Unlimited space for euros. Fun to do myself and easier for my wife to pitch in the dumpster when I’m gone.

24-Mar-24
Size , what animal Size depending on where it was taken. A 140 whitetail in WV is more of a trophy than a 140 in Saskatchewan IMO

What animal ? If I ever draw a desert bighorn after 30 years of applying and get one I’ll get it mounted even if it’s not “trophy” size.

24-Mar-24
Money is my cut off. When a whitetail shoulder mount was $500 I had a few 130-140 inch deer mounted. Now a whitetail shoulder mount is $800 in my area. For me to spend that much on a deer it would have to be a 170 inch or better and thats not happening where i hunt.

24-Mar-24
My cut off is no more taxidermy, period. I have 25 or so mounts, many species. Though they look nice, they’re expensive and essentially worthless to everyone but me. If I could go back in time, I’d do euro only and a few hides .

24-Mar-24
agree. my mounting days are over.. Between space to hang em, and the cost to get it done now, just not going to happen anymore.. Age is coming into play soon... Who really wants them when we are gone.

24-Mar-24
There seems to be a common relationship that the duration of ownership and the volume of mounts invariably becomes inversely proportional to the satisfaction and justification that the collection provides the owner.

Does anyone ever say I wish I would have mounted more of my stuff?

24-Mar-24

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo
I like Charlie Idea, very cheap way, I don’t have much for space myself but this is the way I can pile them up, not sure how many more I can afford it 1500$ each

24-Mar-24
looks great skull and Charlie

24-Mar-24
I won’t say my mounting days are over, but they are becoming less important to me.

These days the only deer I get mounted are the ones I know from my Ohio property. I shot two 5.5 year olds that I had passed up for the previous 3 years and bowhunted them exclusively in 2022 and 2023. They grew up on my land, I have their sheds, and they are hanging on the wall at my Ohio house.

The Kansas and Saskatchewan bucks will get mounted if they are 160+ and will replace a smaller buck.

I like Charlie’s idea.

24-Mar-24
I’m also with Charlie with the euros… It’s nice to be able to pick up a rack / skull hold it on your lap and relive the hunt.. My wife does give me dirty looks when I’m on the couch with moose antlers

24-Mar-24
Good subject Shug, my mount days are over after 55 yrs of hunting... unless I drop a Milo Hanson buck, but being from WNY I highly doubt it ;0) scentman

24-Mar-24
The big stuff has always been euros at my place due to space...talking elk, moose, caribou & bison. Have a couple half body mounts (black bear and mountain goat). Several deer shoulder mounts over the years, plus pronghorn. Like you Shug, I'm running out of room. Taxidermist is doing a shoulder mount of my cougar on a pedestal base. Still trying to decide what to do with my desert ram?

For the past two decades+, the majority of my deer mounts have been euros. Get those done for free in exchange for the capes.

24-Mar-24

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
I never started. Too poor when I started, now still poor and prefer to spend that $ doing other stuff. I do euros on everything, but not all of them go on the wall.

Funny thing, a buddy was giving me a hard time about my turkey hunting budget this spring (it’s stupid), but my reply to him was “how much do you owe your taxidermist right now”. Let’s just say both of our answers were kinda stupid…but the point is he enjoys his mounts, I enjoy the adventures.

—Jim

24-Mar-24
Oh, also i personally enjoy the photos probably more than the mounts/euros at this point in my life.

—Jim

24-Mar-24
The photos mean more to me than a mount. I think the only thing I would mount now would be a big velvet muley. I'm ready to just pull the racks and skull plates from my whitetail mounts and put them up in the garage rafters with the others. If I ever kill a booner whitey, I would probably have to mount that.

24-Mar-24
Fantastic question, and something I’ve pondered quite a bit lately. I enjoy my mounts, but I don’t need mounts in every room of my house, and therefore I’m nearly out of room.

Plus, I have no kids to leave them to, so I fear they’ll either end up in a bar or the trash.

Except for maybe a special sheep, I just can’t justify more taxidermy in my future.

24-Mar-24
i am with some of the other posts, my cut off has passed. i don't even bother with euro's. i capped the skull on last year's bull and it's hanging in my shop. i have others i moved outside onto a pile with sheds.

i am thinking someday i will scatter them nearby popular parking areas, trails, and hunting areas and let others think they found them. :)

the mountain mike replica skulls aren't bad if someone wanted to go that route. i used one on a nice pair of sheds.

24-Mar-24
Forget Mountain Mike, if you looking for a replica skull the only way to go for that is a company called Antler Tech. They look great.

—Jim

24-Mar-24
Euro’s for me from now on. Just not worth getting mounts done anymore for the cost. I will pay for my son’s first good animal to get a shoulder mount done.

24-Mar-24
I love seeing taxi mounts but will never do another one. Prefer to spend that $$ toward another hunt

24-Mar-24
I'm only mounting things if there's intrigue beyond just the horns/antlers or if it's the only time I'll hunt that species again.

For example, getting an aoudad done because the cape/chaps are cool.

24-Mar-24
I’ve been selling a lot of my mounts in the last couple of years and using that money to go on more hunts. I have some that I will never get rid of, but a lot of it just doesn’t mean much to me anymore. I live an hour away from a huge taxidermy auction held each year. It’s really interesting to see what things go for.

24-Mar-24
Generally it has to be my personal best to consider mounting. Otherwise I do Euros myself.

24-Mar-24
Only Euros for me since 2014.

My "neighbors" own Otterbox and are building a new trophy room big enough to hold two life sized elephants (his and hers), plus about every other huntable animal on the planet. Also a 100 yard underground shooting range. All this to go with their 30K square foot timber framed house on the 20,000 acre ranch they recently acquired.

Wish I'd thought of making plastic phone cases a few years ago.

24-Mar-24
I said I wouldn’t mount anymore unless it was a really unique deer or over 160”. Well, I shot a unique deer (to me) this past fall so I’m going to mount it. But… I’m gonna pull some old mounts that are just taking up space and throw the antlers in the pile somewhere. Other than a GIANT deer, I’ll save my money and do my own euro. :)

And like others have said, nobody wants our crap when we go.

25-Mar-24
I have some mounts but I’ve been skulls only for the most part since moving to Alaska. I have two bear rugs and one mountain goat shoulder mount I paid for since moving north. I did have a second goat shoulder mount done as I won the mount at a banquet and it was expiring lol.

That said it’s always been a goal of mine to have the deer slam mounted side by side and a nice winter cape caribou… so I have 3 at the taxidermist currently. Once I get the deer slam up the only things I would mount after this are a sheep I think. My house isn’t small per se but it’s already running out of wall space and I’m not even 35. I like pictures ten to one over the mounts if I had to choose

25-Mar-24
Personally, I love quality mounts, vs euros, especially whitetails. If they get thrown in a dumpster when I’m dead, what do I care? I’m running out of space in the house, but just finished prepping a big wall out in my shop to handle the overflow, so I’ll move some older mounts out there and hang the newer or bigger stuff in the house. I make enough money that if I spend 2-3 grand a year on mounts, I won’t end up in the poor house. Trophy pics are great, but to me, they’re not quite the same as looking at the animal itself. Looking forward to picking up the critters that are at the taxidermist’s now. Should be finished in the next month or two.

25-Mar-24
I like mounts as well. And I like euros. Some more important to me than others.

For a whitetail, mulie, or elk, they'd have to be pretty dang big anymore for me to do a full shoulder mount. I'd rather have euros.

But I'd love a moose mount and caribou. I think Axis deer mounts are beautiful and want one. Sheep--you gotta mount that if I ever draw a tag and kill one.

I'm waiting on a bunch of Africa mounts. Really want to go back to Africa but probably wouldn't mount anything else other than a kudu or cape buffalo. I'd do euros

I like BIG stuff. Bigger the better. I'd mount a Spanish Ibex, but not an American Mountain goat. Etc. I'm just kinda different that way

25-Mar-24
I have a red stag and bull tahr at the taxidermist right now as well as some upland birds. Both simple shoulder mounts due to cost. When those comeback I will more than likely be done with mounting animals. I have a moose hunt and caribou hunt booked. If successful the moose will be a simple horn plaque and the caribou will be a euro. I would love to do more actual mounts but the cost has just gone up so much I can't really justify it.

25-Mar-24
Charlie Rehor, "Fun to do myself and easier for my wife to pitch in the dumpster when I’m gone." My wife laughed and said hell no, there getting sold so she could buy what she wants, LOL! My 2cents, I have my Shiras moose & Mule deer shoulder mounted, If I can finally get a Bighorn Sheep & Mnt. Goat I'll shoulder mount those, anything else to be mounted would have to meet B&C min or be VERY unique, other wise plaques or Euro's.

25-Mar-24
The thing about taxidermy in your private residence is that it's only cool once to everyone but you. And it's probably only cool to you once a year or so.

It would take something remarkably unusual for me to spend money on anymore. Taxidermy might die off with the baby boomers.

25-Mar-24
When I achieved my goal of a 30 inch walleye, my dad asked me what I was going to do with her. I said I'm going to have you take a picture and then I'm letting her go. I would have put her on the wall years ago.

25-Mar-24
I had one buck mounted back in 1983.

Since then, I just cut off the antlers and hang them in the cellar.

25-Mar-24
Only new species for me now, no more whiteails, mule deer, or antelope.

25-Mar-24
I've definitley slowed down with the mounts. I need one more turkey mount to finish having the slam on the wall and that will most likely be the last bird mounted unless I shoot a hybrid duck. Deer have to be booners to make it to a shoulder mount, anything less is euro. I hope to start working on the sheep slam soon, and those will be Full body mounts!

25-Mar-24
Whatever people do just don’t dilute the presentation by over cluttering the display. Less can really be more when well done.

Honestly some of the rooms and walls people have look like they belong on on episode of the TV show Hoarders. It’s a shame because the specimens are wonderful and the hunters skilled. But man the visual impact can trigger an episode of vertigo or epilepsy.

25-Mar-24
Grant you sound like me when I explain to my wife Less is morel

25-Mar-24
I have hit that point with Whitetail although I am still mounting some of the more not so common species like caribou and sheep.

25-Mar-24
The cost isnt crazy for something that will last your lifetime.

25-Mar-24
After I mount my antelope I’ll probably never mount anything again. Only exception would be a giant velvet mule deer or a bighorn, desert, dall sheep. I don’t do euros and very few antler plaques. This is coming from a former taxidermist. Lol

25-Mar-24
When my taxidermists said a full body mount for my muskox would be around $8,500.00, I told him a shoulder mount will do. Yes, taxidermy since COVID has gone through the roof, and euro mounts are starting to look pretty good now. Getting to the point where shoulder mounts are now for animals I have not shot yet.

25-Mar-24

caribou77's embedded Photo
caribou77's embedded Photo
I’m about done. I have one of most things I’ve shot. I love it all but soon will have enough invested I coulda made that sheep hunt I always wanted to do.

25-Mar-24
I've actually started to really fall in love with a well done mount. A real detailed work of art. I've found it seems like there are more "REALLY GOOD" taxidermists out there and less just average. The amazing mounts are so appealing.

25-Mar-24
I’ll bet if there was a mandatory six month waiting period From the time the animal was killed until you could do anything with the taxidermist that only about 50% of the stuff mounted would be mounted going forward

A Cooling off period From the emotional ecstasy that immediately follows the harvest would put a lot of taxidermist out of business

25-Mar-24
Bou, I believe that for sure.

25-Mar-24
I will say if I killed a mountain lion or a musk ox, there’s no way I wouldn’t mount those yet. Full body for the cat. And I’m definitely glad I did the full body on the goat.

25-Mar-24
I like the waiting period.................................. I'd say that I'm saving shoulder mounts for what I view as truly exceptional animals at this stage although I really only hunt WT routinely, with a few elk scattered in. Moose is on my bucket list but if I'm fortunate enough to get one, I'd likely just do an antler mount due to their size. I'm debating about one more elk, if I'm fortunate enough to get a good one. Some of my older, and smaller, mounts have lost their luster for sure!

25-Mar-24

badbull's embedded Photo
badbull's embedded Photo
At my age, I think that I may be done mounting anything more. Charlie's idea for Euros is a great idea. When I ran out of spaces for mounts, I just mounted the antlers vertically on a board for my own viewing so I can recall memories. Not great like Charlie's but adequate for me.

25-Mar-24
Only other thing will be an antelope. Not a fan at all on euro's. Prefer horn plaques more.

And a BHS if that ever happens.

26-Mar-24
I also won't ever do another euro. It's horn mounts for everything unless it's a sheep or a bison or something truly giant. I've never shoulder mounted anything. I sold my muskox hide.

26-Mar-24

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
My cutoff is the room remaining in the house

I have rotated mounts out of the house into my shop. And loaned a Moose, Elk, deer and Turkey to a friend's pub. Given elk and deer mounts to relatives.

We squeezed in my wife’s 45” sable and I’ll make room for another Muley that is being done.

We have a trip to Zimbabwe in May. If my wife is lucky and gets her Buffalo and Leopard. Most likely a European Buffalo skull. One Buffalo mount is enough. And probably end up with a full mount leopard. Something else will be rotated out.

26-Mar-24

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Love it Charlie. I have done the same with my whitetails all euros now but, there is always exceptions. I will never give any of my mounts away. I have every mount from when I was 16. Some are in storage. Definitely have to improvise. Just made room for this guy. Will be arriving any day. So Mark back to your question. I have no cutoff ;-)

26-Mar-24
Skull I love how you did your speed goats also. Very nice.

26-Mar-24
All's I've killed is whitetails, so, a whopper whitetail will be mounted if that happens, an elk if I ever get the opportunity, and I will rug a bear if I ever get one of those. If I can get an elk and a bear I don't know that I will want much else. Maybe a pronghorn or muley.

26-Mar-24

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
I only do euro mounts now. I have to do better than my biggest, 170 back in the 80s

26-Mar-24
I'm also at the point of no more mounts. I'm out of room and also am not inclined to spend the money. My last one was my big nontypical 3 years ago. I don't see myself doing any more big hunts either so I won't have anything from that. I'm happy with my mountain lion and black bear life sized mounts and still enjoy looking at my caribou and muley. I have a nice but modest sized home and there is no room left.

26-Mar-24
I have so many and love them all but when a taxidermist says the mount is more than my trip I'm like no way.

26-Mar-24
I know of a couple guys that have to have a million dollars tied up in taxidermy….and its damn impressive.

I love your idea Charlie!

I have a couple critters mounted but prefer a photo wall in my office

26-Mar-24

GFL's embedded Photo
GFL's embedded Photo
These Ga bucks are heading to the barn. Just got my last elk that I will mount back.

26-Mar-24
I have cut way back, special animals only now. The 2 exceptions will be a musk ox and coues and mule deer as I have long wanted to have all 5 deer mounted to compare/contrast.

26-Mar-24

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I have 24 whitetail shoulder mounts (#25 is at the taxidermist), 11 whitetail euros, boxes of whitetail skull plate antler mounts on plaques stored away, 4 elk shoulder mounts, 4 elk euros, several elk skull plates with antlers, 4 black bear skulls, one bear rug and a few fish. I'm not sure how it happened, it started with one whitetail mount and somehow they multiplied over the years. My house is small and most of my mounts are in the basement except for 2 whitetail mounts that are in my living room along with 3 elk mounts that won't fit down the stairwell into my basement. Euros are nice but I prefer a shoulder mount and feel that it does the animal more justice. To each their own... I wish I had a bigger house that was setup better do properly display my mounts but a big nice house has never been that important to me compared to other things. I had a bigger nicer house once but I ended up giving it to a woman I don't like anymore.

I've hunted almost exclusively on public land my entire life and my standards early on were lower than they are now. I mounted a few deer in the past that I wouldn't mount today and probably many that a lot of bowsite guys wouldn't mount. Regardless, I'm unapologetic and they all mean something to me and are trophies to me for various reasons. I have an 8x10 framed photo near a lot of the mounts and sometimes I like to move from mount to mount in my man cave, look at each mount/photo and reflect back on the hunt, specific circumstances of the kill/recovery and remember all the great times. Corny maybe, but I like it. Recently I've recycled a couple mounts by opening the cape and replacing the old antlers/skull plate with newer larger antlers.

At age 63 with no kids I too have come to the realization that I don't "need" anymore mounts. I'm not sure what will happen to them after I die but the same goes for the rest of my possessions and I have a lot of "stuff".

Although I realize I don't need any more mounts, at the same time I feel that if an animal is worthy of me killing him he's also worthy of me honoring him and preserving the memory by doing a shoulder mount. My mounts are for me and nobody else.

I'm trying to cut back but I'll most likely continue to mount some animals. I'd really like a big muley buck mount and if I ever go pronghorn hunting and kill one I'd probably mount it. I really don't have room for another elk mount...

26-Mar-24
Nice Mike. Love it

26-Mar-24

Sample from their website
Sample from their website
One other cool idea is “Digital Taxidermy”. You send them a Trophy photo then pick your setting from their website. I’ve used them and the process is fantastic. Here’s an example.

26-Mar-24
Yeah that’s pretty cool I do that with trail camera pictures.

28-Mar-24
I’ll bet if there was a mandatory six month waiting. From the time the animal was killed until you could do anything with the taxidermist that only about 50% of the stuff mounted would be mounted going forward

A Cooling off period From the emotional ecstasy that immediately follows the harvest would put a lot of taxidermist out of business

28-Mar-24
Whatever people do just don’t dilute the presentation by over cluttering the display. Less can really be more when well done.

Honestly some of the rooms and walls people have look like they belong on on episode of the TV show Hoarders. It’s a shame because the specimens are wonderful and the hunters skilled. But man the visual impact can trigger an episode of vertigo or epilepsy.

28-Mar-24

Ken's embedded Photo
Ken's embedded Photo
"Whatever people do just don’t dilute the presentation by over cluttering the display. Less can really be more when well done".

I decided to to a less is more with the the Capra species that I hunted on the year I turned 60. I decided that I would hunt 3 species of Capra on the year I turned 60. I already had a mountain goat hunt booked so I added a trip to Spain to hunt Ibex and chamois. I added a Roe buck to the display since he was taken on the Spain trip. That is all that is going on that wall.

31-Mar-24
Probably a booner whitetail for a shoulder mount. Any quality specimen of a new species would at least get a euro, but that will probably be slim pickens. A rug of a bear, goat, etc. would be kind of nice.

• Sitka Gear