APauls 02-Apr-24
Beav 02-Apr-24
Dino 02-Apr-24
Mike Ukrainetz 03-Apr-24
JohnMC 03-Apr-24
01-Apr-24

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
I thought Bowsiters might like to see a bowhunting related topic? Cam Cook won the SABA Pinnacle Award after 45 years of pursuing it and our 17 year old daughter Brooke did the drawing for it. Cam received the award at the Annual SABA banquet in March.

It was an 18” by 24” freehand pencil drawing that took her about 45 hours to complete. She was faster than Cam.

01-Apr-24
Very cool artwork! Congrats to Cam!

01-Apr-24

It has some somewhat nutty qualifications, but very, very challenging! All with a bow. All taken in Alberta.
It has some somewhat nutty qualifications, but very, very challenging! All with a bow. All taken in Alberta.
Brooke and Cam
Brooke and Cam

01-Apr-24
Neat award and very nice artist work. Congrats to both hunter and artist.

01-Apr-24
Awesome award, and some extremely impressive artistic talent from your daughter, Mike!

01-Apr-24
Special girl, takes after Jenn. Ha Ha. I hope she shoots another bear this Spring….

01-Apr-24
Holy cow that's really awesome! Nice work on both the hunter and artist!

01-Apr-24
What a great accomplishment and wonderful artwork to boot!

01-Apr-24
Very nice, congratulations to Cam and great artwork by your daughter!

01-Apr-24
Well done!

01-Apr-24
I remember seeing a number of awards like this on display when the Pope & Young convention was in Edmonton in 1997. I was so impressed with them that I later proposed such a custom artwork piece for use in a similar award that our state offers, for taking 11 different big game and small predator species, 7 of which must make the record book. Unfortunately, we didn't adopt it. But, I still think it's an awesome idea for such an award, and she did a beautiful job.

02-Apr-24
Amazing artwork!!

02-Apr-24
Impressive bowhunting accomplishment by Cam and magnificent artwork by Brooke!

02-Apr-24
Outstanding work!!

02-Apr-24
Both of these are tremendous accomplishments. What an artist! When you think through that bowhunting challenge, it’s quite the feat too. Really love that it’s only challenging, and not a super costly endeavour. The average man can do it. Super super neat. Way to go Cam

02-Apr-24
Congrats to Cam, and what a great work of art! Looking at the qualifications got me to thinking... "what would something similar look like but solely related to where I live". What a cool idea and inspiring! I may have to make my own list!

02-Apr-24
Very nice!

02-Apr-24
That's awesome!

02-Apr-24
Awesome work from the hunter and artist, congrats dad!

02-Apr-24
Hard work in both regards, and quite an accomplishment. Your daughter has a real talent, and yes Catscratch we need something like this in KS!

Thanks for the hunting thread on a hunting website!

02-Apr-24
Mike, thanks for posting this. The artwork is tremendous and the award presentation was so complete, having a young Bowhunter at the start of her career, presenting her artwork to a well seasoned Bowhunter at the end of his career. Thanks for making this happen, it was a special night for our SABA club indeed!

02-Apr-24

You are welcome Dean! Thanks for asking Brooke to do it, it was a fun father/daughter project.

Here is a pic of Cam’s wife, I can’t remember her name but she was very appreciative and talkative. She said that this represented much of their married life together, Cam working so hard at getting the animals, especially the geese and ducks in the last few years, weeks and weeks of effort. The goose in the picture was the last animal needed, some kind of speckled goose, a fairly rare bird. She insisted that they get it mounted!

02-Apr-24

Some of the SABA executives presenting the award. Dean’s son Brendon, the tall, young guy is the President and he did a fantastic job of emceeing the banquet.

Brendon is quite the killer, bowhunter himself usually taking their annual award for the most big game animals taken in one year, that is unless Dean gets the award!

02-Apr-24
Interesting award! Congrats!

Great job on the artwork to Brooke as well!

02-Apr-24
Curious as to what the rock formation in the background is. Is it an actual formation in (edit) Alberta, or just a random drawing from Brooke’s imagination?

02-Apr-24
Fantastic! She's got talent that's for sure! t-roy - guessing it's a rock formation in Alberta ;)

02-Apr-24
What a cool piece of art! Great job all the way around.

02-Apr-24
T-Roy, that rock is prominent mountain here in southern Alberta, it’s close to Cam’s home . The mountain on the eastern edge of the Rockies here is called Chief Mountain as in certain lights the side of the mountain looks like an Indian Chief side profile complete with head dress.

03-Apr-24

Stuart Sinclair Smith’s ABA Grandmaster Bowhunter Award drawing, completed way back in 1996.
Stuart Sinclair Smith’s ABA Grandmaster Bowhunter Award drawing, completed way back in 1996.
Some background on it was that Dean contacted me because of my former work as a commissioned artist for the Alberta Bowhunters Association. I used to do their Grandmaster Bowhunter award drawing, 6 Pope and Young animals all taken in Alberta plus a variety of small game. I did it for 20 years but had to retire when my outfitting business got too busy and I began a family.

Dean had met my kids through some bear hunting and saw that they were both artists too and he wondered if one of them might be able to do their Pinnacle Award. Brooke was excited to do it! (They were paying her). So I gave her some guidance and she got it done. I didn’t draw any of it. She really amazed me with the whole thing but especially the Chief Mountain drawing. The sun and shade is fantastic!

03-Apr-24
Congrats to both

• Sitka Gear