fuzzy 08-Apr-24
Buck Watcher 10-Apr-24
Buskill 10-Apr-24
Will 10-Apr-24
DanaC 16-Apr-24
Groundhunter 16-Apr-24
DanaC 17-Apr-24
07-Apr-24
Just got some relatively cheap ammo, much less than during the pandemic. Bought enough to last me the rest of my life. 79, so I am not going to need much.

Don't dwaddle get your own before there is a shortage again, or they outlaw buying over the internet.

Terry

07-Apr-24
Way ahead of you. Great advice tho

07-Apr-24
Buy more than you think you’ll need those that don’t have it will be coming for yours

07-Apr-24
Buying ammo probably makes you feel a bit more secure, but, it isn't going to make much difference in saving America. Of course, these days patriotism in many people has been replaced by selfishness and only looking out for themselves. Coyote65 I'm not saying that is your intent, I am saying I hear too many with that attitude and a hopelessness regarding the future of America.

What is your duty to your country? How can you make a difference? Where rests the expectation for a restoration of good American values?

07-Apr-24
Every person I know who purposely has a decent amount of ammo as a safeguard to when its scarce, further regulated or part of being prepared for the worst, are not the people responsible for American values needing restoration.

Taking personal responsibility isn't selfish. People not taking personal responsibility leaves a void. Voids get filled by power. That power eventually ends up diminishing freedom for everyone, not just those who didn't take personal responsibility for their well-being and security.

Selfishness is the problem but the people who dont value freedom and personal accountability are the selfish ones.

07-Apr-24
The other way to look at is it, buy everything you’ll ever want/need now as it will only get more expensive. Had we all done this 5 years ago, look how much money we would be ahead now.

07-Apr-24
Did so 15 years ago.

07-Apr-24
Glunt,

Time was the operative word that motivated the purchase. You misdirected my use of the word selfishness. It is not in the practical purchase of ammo to avoid future price increases, rather, it is an "I've got mine" preparedness without any other thought of avoiding confrontation and never having to shoot other people to remain free. Hence, I spoke of duty and making a difference. I'm sorry you didn't get that.

07-Apr-24
2Wild - I don't see how Glunt 's post was a reply to yours, but merely a comment adding to the thread.

Nothing more and nothing less. He's correct though in what he said...

07-Apr-24
Real men buy ammo while people like soccermom get booster shots.

07-Apr-24
HDE, "I don't see how Glunt 's post was a reply to yours" Obviously you didn't notice the first mention of the word selfish and who said it. And, if your reading comprehension is adequate, you will also notice I also agreed with him that buying ammo is not a selfish act in itself.

07-Apr-24
…….. and ………..they’re…………………….off…………

07-Apr-24
Not ammo but I got lucky and made a few large purchases just before covid hit and saved tens of thousands of dollars. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. It was all luck.

07-Apr-24
I buy my ammo like buying stock. Dollar cost averaging. It builds up over the years

07-Apr-24
2Wild - obviously...

07-Apr-24

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I’m good

07-Apr-24
That's a good start

07-Apr-24
"....it is an "I've got mine" preparedness without any other thought of avoiding confrontation and never having to shoot other people to remain free."

I see that as misguided more than selfish. I don't know anyone with that mindset. No one I know wants a violent solution. The onus for a restoration of "good American values" belongs to all of us but those without them and working to destroy them is where the blame lies more so than those who are losing hope we get them back.

07-Apr-24
+1 Glunt@work

08-Apr-24
Buy more than you think you’ll need those that don’t have it will be coming for yours

08-Apr-24
I'd be more inclined to stock up on powders and primers.

If you reload, you know that supplies are still spotty. Hodgdon is still having supply line troubles with their made-in-Australia stuff. The good news is that they are increasing their on-shore manufacturing capacity.

Except 22 rimfire, staying a few thousand rounds ahead of the game is no big deal. I burned up a lot of old stuff over the last three months, shooting winter league at a local club. (I had an old box of Federal match ammo with a price tag on it that made the range master cry ;-) )

08-Apr-24
Also consider a simple, sturdy single shot firearm that uses a straight wall cartridge and can be loaded with cast bullets, plenty of appropriate primers, a few hundred pieces of brass, a bullet mold and a simple kit hand loader for same. My choice is .45-70. Also a single shot 12 gauge Shotgun and some all brass hulls is nice.

10-Apr-24
I may have to much. Spring hearings had advisory question to ban lead bullets/shells by 2030.

10-Apr-24
Good advice, fuzz

10-Apr-24
Glad you found some. It's been nice to see more on shelves lately. The past few years buying Turkey loads in my area was harder than hunting ha ha ha. Happy target shooting and hunting.

16-Apr-24
Fuzzy, keep your eyes out for an old Savage model 24, with a 22 LR barrel over a 20 gauge (if you can find one.)

Another option is the Chiappa Double Badger, also available in multiple rimfire/shotgun combinations.

16-Apr-24
Gun shows every weekend thru the year in Wis, I go all the time. Lots of ammo available, 410 prices coming down, big bore still holding value. Great buys on reloading components, from those who would like to start. Last weekend a guy has a school on teaching reloading. Lot of powder, dies, primers.

17-Apr-24

DanaC's embedded Photo
DanaC's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear