BC173 08-Apr-24
PushCoArcher 08-Apr-24
Matt 08-Apr-24
TMac 08-Apr-24
Catscratch 08-Apr-24
Shaft2Long 08-Apr-24
APauls 08-Apr-24
07-Apr-24
So I’m in a bass pro shop in Utica Ny and needed to replace some 223 ammo to keep at my farm. All the ammo is in a locked case and the clerk takes out two boxes and brings them over to the counter for check out. He hands me a form to fill out. “what’s this?” I ask. He tells me it’s for them to run a background check.

WTF???

NY now requires a background check for all ammo. They also charge you to perform the check - Even for one box of 22. I asked how long it takes and he said to come back in an hour. I told him to put the ammo back in the case.

This is how it starts.

07-Apr-24
Yup. That’s been on the books since last year. One of the reasons I stop in PA whenever I am there and buy ammo

07-Apr-24
Troublesome to say the least. NY has put numerous laws into affect in recent years concerning guns and ammo. Found this one out this past deer season while up there. Geographically, NY is very rural and one would think to be more "outdoors" friendly.

07-Apr-24
"Hunters" on this very site will vote for and defend the political party that supports this kind of BS.

We're F'ed.

07-Apr-24
Come to New Hampshire, you’re handed a 30-round magazine whenever you cross the border, and they sell bullets in the ladies clothing boutique.

07-Apr-24
Yet, some people thinks we shouldn’t be talking about politics. It might offend someone while we’re getting our rights taken away

07-Apr-24
Should’ve probably just shoplifted them. If they caught you, you probably would’ve been out on bail quicker than it would’ve taken for them to run the background check.

07-Apr-24
Yep.

07-Apr-24
Being from Massachusetts I can't buy ammo in Connecticut, but I can buy cases, primers, powder and bullets there. Crazy!

(I can even have components shipped to the Cabela's store in Hartford. I can *not* have them shipped to the store in Massachusetts. More crazy.)

07-Apr-24
I was at another great sportsmen sale, yesterday in Wis. Tons of ammo, equip, etc. Love this place.

NY,,,,for me, it would be like living on Mars

07-Apr-24
Being out of Massachusetts I can now do what I want when I want :). And this includes bringing my own ammo back to the NY farm lol.

07-Apr-24
Something to think about here, if New York State requires a background check does that mean it's a federal background check? If so that's going to bog down the system for the rest of us in the other states that want to buy a gun. Unfortunately for New York residents and hopefully for the rest of us it won't be a federal background check. Otherwise it's going to take even longer for those checks to go through!

07-Apr-24
We have had background checks for 30 yrs for ammo.... Trudeau land.

07-Apr-24
That’s insane. Wondered when that was going to start because it did pass last year.

That all changed for New Yorkers with a new law that took effect Sept. 13. Under the new law, which stems from the SAFE (Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement) Act signed into law in 2013, those background checks will be taken over by the New York State Police, with a $9 processing fee included.

07-Apr-24
Amazing that a handful of Bowsite libs continue to support the Democrat lunatics that push this nonsense, all the while trashing Trump!

Pete

07-Apr-24
That is absolutely ridiculous. It is scary how some places are ever so slowly taking small steps to take things away from us.

Then by the time we realize what has happened its to late.

07-Apr-24
Yep should run out the store with ammo in hand problem solved :)

07-Apr-24
Pat, do they charge before or after the check? Getting a Pro 2A movement going, with every guy having a check done, then changing their mind and walking out would put a burden on their system. Every store across NY at the same time. I'm sure they would quickly change the rules in their favor but it would be great for a day.

07-Apr-24
Damn I love Tennessee just saying Lewis

07-Apr-24
You vote with your money and your feet. I know there are good people in every state but staying in some of these states is a choice.

07-Apr-24
I always thought it was ridiculous how I could legally walk into a store with a loaded Glock concealed in my waistband at 18, but couldn’t buy ammo for it until I was 21 here in MO.

07-Apr-24
redneck hunter - more to it than just choosing to stay in a state, impossible to move if you can't find/afford a house elsewhere...

07-Apr-24
Nothing is impossible HDE - grew up a military brat - moved all over the country and was never homeless - life’s all about choices…

07-Apr-24
I’m

07-Apr-24
Pat there is a place in Cheshire I buy online and get ammo in 2 days. They always have sales. Target sports USA.

07-Apr-24
Lee - impossible if you can't find anything within a budget. Not as easy as you think...

07-Apr-24
But, but, it’s really made NY so much safer………

07-Apr-24
Jan. 31, 2024, at 1:15 p.m. (Reuters) -California cannot enforce a law requiring people to undergo background checks to buy ammunition, because it violates the constitutional right to bear arms, a federal judge has ruled.Jan 31

07-Apr-24
Jan. 31, 2024, at 1:15 p.m. (Reuters) -California cannot enforce a law requiring people to undergo background checks to buy ammunition, because it violates the constitutional right to bear arms, a federal judge has ruled.Jan 31

07-Apr-24
Swing by one of the many gun shows in PA and pick up some.

07-Apr-24
Time to move

07-Apr-24
These blue states are out of control. Drunk with power. Minnesota is really chipping away at gun rights. Last year a Scheels store here required me to show my ID to buy lighted nocks. I refused & bought them across the street. It’s more than just government, its also some companies with agendas.

07-Apr-24
”Yet, some people thinks we shouldn’t be talking about politics. It might offend someone while we’re getting our rights taken away”

right?

07-Apr-24
Pat, A while back I bought my grandson a fishing license at Basspro in California and all the info I had to give them would make you think we were buying a machine gun. Badbull

07-Apr-24
A friend had two hand guns on order and dealer called him and said they were in. He showed up and the dealer said "which one do you want today". WHAT I want them both. Dealer said OK I will have to fill out this huge red flag form and call the Sherriff. BUT take one today and one tomorrow and its OK. He said can I buy five rifles today and it was OK. SEE the libs "did something".

07-Apr-24
Lewis..."Damn I love Tennessee just saying Lewis" Those of you in red states your turn is coming...don't be naive. What is currently happening in TN? It's getting inundated with folks from NY, MI, IL etc. because they want to escape the taxes and higher cost of living. BUT, even at that, many of them will come to you and continue to vote blue because they'll want all the "freebies" they enjoyed where they came form and before you know it you'll be blue. Don't think so?...just take a look at what happened to Colorado (should be renamed to Colifornia) and more out west.

08-Apr-24
Brian, I don’t know since I walked out without buying the ammo. Maybe someone from NY can answer that question?

08-Apr-24
Typical liberal run blue state. As a lawful person with a clean record we have to go through a background check to buy ammo but a career criminal with 26 counts gets caught with an illegal handgun, released without bail and then kills a police officer in cold blood.

08-Apr-24
And the effin’ liberals, here, will agree with the law, even though they know our Rights are ever increasingly being taken away. SMDH

08-Apr-24

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Pat you ever make it by Oklahoma I'll send you home with a couple ammo cans full.

08-Apr-24

Matt's Link
DL, that CA decision was unfortunately stayed shortly after it was issued.

08-Apr-24
You pay for the check before purchasing the ammo. The system was inundated with requests last year before hunting season and a shop in upstate NY closed for 2 hours because of computer glitches. I was told they’d call me, which they did, when approved 3 hours later. Insanity! I was only buying skeet loads because they’re harder to find on Long Island.

08-Apr-24
So unfortunate that such a large part of our country is willing (and even eager) to take away their own rights. Even if you aren't interested in owning a gun you shouldn't want to loose a right that affords so much liberty.

08-Apr-24
I’m waiting for those we’ll know bowsite libbies to chime in here.

08-Apr-24
Spike we do NOT have that in Canada. We need to do a background check to get our PAL license which we show at the till when we buy ammo. But we do not have any delay while buying the ammo.

• Sitka Gear