Mike B 15-Apr-24
Zbone 15-Apr-24
Mike B 15-Apr-24
Mike B 16-Apr-24
Bou'bound 16-Apr-24
Zbone 16-Apr-24
12-Apr-24
or not...

Rare gray wolf killed during hunt in Michigan, officials launch investigation The gray wolf weighed 84 pounds, and the Michigan hunter reportedly confused the kill with a coyote

"The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has launched an investigation after a hunter recently reported his harvest, which he believed to be a coyote — but after further genetic testing, the kill proved to be something far rarer.

The DNR announced in a press release that the animal killed in Calhoun County, Michigan's southern Lower Peninsula, was actually a gray wolf.

While the DNR does conduct searches in the Lower Peninsula, there have not been many signs of wolf presence since the population was reestablished in the 1980s, according to a DNR press release.

The Facebook post revealed that a hunter had shot and killed a new world record coyote weighing 84 pounds. However, eastern coyotes typically weigh 25 to 40 pounds, the DNR's press release said."

oops...

12-Apr-24

Ricky The Cabel Guy's Link
sorry…forgot the link.

12-Apr-24
Bears have also ranged south from northern Michigan. Normally during the rut.

Wolves can range a huge amount of territory

12-Apr-24
Tough though to believe our DNR here in Michigan. Camped at Pinckney State Rec Area just Northwest of Ann Arbor a few years ago with my sons' boy scout troop. Had a bear sniffing around our camp and called the DNR. They said no bears in the area. We texted them the pictures. They still denied it. I have friends in Chippewa County (East end of the UP) with wolf and cougar pics on their trail cams and the scat and deer carcasses on their property. DNR says nope, too far East, impossible.

12-Apr-24
about 25 or 30 years ago, we were staying in a cabin at wilderness state park west of mackinaw city. one evening we were just cruising the back roads when a huge gray wolf just trotted out into the road...stopped to look at us...and then proceeded on his way.

the next day we told the ranger what we saw and he insisted that there were no wolves in the lower peninsula...must have been a coyote.

ive seen quite a few coyotes in the wild...and this was definitely no coyote. :)

12-Apr-24

...and the pot thickens.

Dead wolf mystery in south Michigan deepens, prompts criminal probe

12-Apr-24
Should always know your target but if the DNR says there aren't any wolves and they need DNA testing to confirm its a wolf....

12-Apr-24
The moral of this story is, keep your dumb ass off of Facebook !

12-Apr-24
No truer words have ever been spoken Drycreek !

12-Apr-24
Well that won’t happen

12-Apr-24
Animals get confiscated without facebook right Bou?

12-Apr-24
“The moral of this story is, keep your dumb ass off of Facebook !”

Or maybe just don’t do illegal $#!+

12-Apr-24
I suggest both.

13-Apr-24
giving this guy the benefit of the doubt.. lets assume this animal was taken in the county he claims it was taken.

for those that have experience hunting coyotes at night...what are the chances that a "mistake" like this could be made?

13-Apr-24
No suitable habitat in Southern MI for wolves? Must not be any deer, livestock, or small game left.

13-Apr-24
RTCG: "...for those that have experience hunting coyotes at night...what are the chances that a "mistake" like this could be made? "

Quite possible IMO, and I've shot a couple hundred plus coyotes at night. Hunted mostly desert country, and never had the benefit of night vision back then, so the shot was taken using a very tight beam spotlight. Shot's were anywhere from 10' to 500 yds, and at longer ranges extra time in the scope had to be taken to confirm what it was that was about to expire.

A coyote that's in full winter coat can look pretty big, and at 250 yds. out, with just a few seconds to decide whether or not to squeeze the trigger. If it looked like a coyote shape and color, it was likely taking it's last breath. Predators like bobcat, fox and coyote generally act and move differently when coming into a predator call (under very low intensity light) and most times you'll know what that critter is before hitting the spotlight. Still, it was our practice to visually confirm what it was in order to avoid shooting somebodies hound dog, or tabby cat that wandered into the desert.

Most shooters are just going to presume it's an "X", then set those crosshairs center-mass and let fly. Don't know if I'd make that mistake, or not, but seeing an animal that size in the crosshairs would probably cause me to pause and rethink before firing.

13-Apr-24
thank you mike b.

i usually at lest try to determine of there is a plausible explanation before jumping on the "hes a poaching pos" band wagon.

over the years...ive come to the conclusion that the original reporting on any situation is rarely completely accurate.

13-Apr-24
Without knowing any more facts than what the article says, I'd have a few questions to ask that fellow.

Was it day or night when you shot the wolf?

What was the landscape like where the wolf was shot?

How far was the first shot? Were there any follow-up shots taken?

What was the wolf shot with? Centerfire, shotgun, etc. and caliber.

I've read the Michigan hunting reg's, and night hunting is allowed. If the guy was in wooded country, the shot was probably less than 50 yds., meaning he probably got a good look at the wolf before he squeezed the trigger. Michigan coyotes are much larger than their western cousins, and my research says they can easily be in the 40 lb. range. Still, seeing an animal twice that size should have set off some kind of alarm in his brain, especially in daylight.

Still too many questions left unanswered.

13-Apr-24

Yooper-traveler's embedded Photo
I’m in the UP. I have wolves in my yard. In two years I’ve seen three coyotes. The wolves are quite thick on my land. I don’t know the gentleman who shot the wolf, but I’ll post a few pictures taken by my house so you can make some size comparisons. The dog in the picture weighs 47#.

The first is a fox.

13-Apr-24

Here is a coyote. #3 of all the yotes I’ve seen in three years.

13-Apr-24

Here is a smaller wolf.

13-Apr-24

Dog.

13-Apr-24

Mother wolf with a few more behind. Headed into my yard.

13-Apr-24

They know where my camera is lol.

13-Apr-24
‘Another”

13-Apr-24
I live in N.E. Iowa now & we have confirmed Cougar, Black bear, Elk, & even a Wolf sighted in the state. Verified Cougar & Black Bears several times. Yes, they may be passing trough, but dey been here. News clip*********Iowa does not have a breeding population of wolves, and while it’s rare to see a wolf in Iowa, it does occur. According to the DNR, over the last five years there’s been an average of one to five wolves roaming through the state.********

13-Apr-24
Yooper great pictures for comparisons thanks for posting.

14-Apr-24
The facts of the case may reveal something nefarious here, but I strongly believe that unless such information comes out you have to start this investigation with a huge benefit of the doubt being given to the shooter.

First, if he knowingly shot a wolf, or found out after he shot it while recovering it, there is no way he posts it on the internet. None. If you believe that as normal thing to avoid, that would mean his behavior indicates neither intent or awareness of the issue.

Then the question becomes SHOULD he have known this was a possibility, not even a likelihood, but even a remote possibility. There is no indication the potential of a wolf would even be considered. According to the DNR they are not seen there, there is not sign there, they don't go there. They don't exist. That all points to a very unexpected and not anticipatable risk. His expectation that anything that looks at all like a coyote, in that area that is not a dog, is a coyote, is totally understandable. The size difference is not such that that alone, if even discernable, was not overwhelming enough to create pause.

Then you go to even with the above stipulated should the shooter have been able to identify an average size wolf from a giant coyote through a scope with no reference for context? Not really. it could have been a 50-60# coyote, they exist. It could have been a 60# wolf. The distinction of 20# difference on the extremes, or 40# in this case (40# vs. 80#). is not readily discernable.

I think he behavior after points to total unawareness of the act. His expectation that anything that looks at all like a coyote, that is not a dog, is totally understandable. Honestly, it would be much less understandable had he shot someone's 80# german shephard or husky, or whatever where it could be argued the look was distinct and one should be able to both assume that as a risk and identify it for the dog it was.

Who knows what may come out to point to a very different situation where intent and conspiracy were evident, but assuming average joe in this situation, in a area he knew well, and with the facts in the article he was not acting unreasonable or with malice.

14-Apr-24
"The facts of the case may reveal something nefarious here, but I strongly believe that unless such information comes out you have to start this investigation with a huge benefit of the doubt being given to the shooter. First, if he knowingly shot a wolf, or found out after he shot it while recovering it, there is no way he posts it on the internet. None. If you believe that as normal thing to avoid, that would mean his behavior indicates neither intent or awareness of the issue."

thats exactly what i thought...

...and then you have the dude that posted the pictures of a the wolf with tape wrapped around its muzzle.

i guess we should never underestimate the stupidity of some people.

example:

there is a facebook page for people to announce activities...ask questions...and talk about happenings in the local community. just this last hunting season someone posted the following...

" ATTENTION-I wasn't able to do any deer hunting this season but my family loves venison. Does anyone have any extra venison they'd be interested in selling?"

...youd be surprised how many responses they got.

14-Apr-24
My guess is the guy is probably innocent of intentionally killing a wolf. Questions about his competency of identifying what he's shooting, yes, but I don't think it being a wolf ever crossed his mind until it was already dead.

14-Apr-24
World record coyote? I didn’t even know that was a thing.

14-Apr-24
I killed a coyote in Kansas that was over 60#, and I've heard of even larger ones. Google says the largest coyote on record was 75#. I hope these cases of mistaken identity happen more frequently..

14-Apr-24
"I hope these cases of mistaken identity happen more frequently..."

...interesting.

14-Apr-24
I’m all for giving a guy the benefit of the doubt, right up to whee he proves himself undeserving.

Yooper’s pics do a great job of showing how different the two species look On The Hoof; I don’t know the details of the shooting well enough to have made up my mind about the hunter, but there’s something pretty odd about the taxidermist not raising a red flag, though.

Kinda seems like (at the least) one of those “too good to be true” things…. I might even suggest that ESPECIALLY if there are wolves known to be in your state (or anywhere within a few hundred miles), it would behoove a person to give any “huge” coyote a second and third long, careful look before committing to the shot. Just too many reasons to suspect a wolf…. Or a pet. We’ve seen how that goes before….

14-Apr-24

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Wow I had no idea. Calhoun county was that far south I was just assuming it was in the northern part of the state. That county is 6x closer to Indiana than it is to the UP

14-Apr-24
Looking at a wider view of the map, that IS one helluva long walk/swim from WI, da UP, or anywhere in Canada.

I guess that bolsters the case for mistaken identity in the field

14-Apr-24
whether or not is was even shot in calhoun county remains to be seen. it could have been shot in the upper peninsula and brought down to the lower. im guessing that is what is under investigation.

14-Apr-24
"Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) is taking a stand against the recent decision by the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) to close the coyote hunting season for three months, from April 15 to July 15. This short documentary illuminates the passionate efforts of MUCC members, who are deeply concerned that this decision, driven by "unsubstantiated social pressure and social perception," threatens the very foundation of scientific wildlife management and hunters' rights and directly violates the principles of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation"

14-Apr-24
"Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) is taking a stand against the recent decision by the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) to close the coyote hunting season for three months, from April 15 to July 15. This short documentary illuminates the passionate efforts of MUCC members, who are deeply concerned that this decision, driven by "unsubstantiated social pressure and social perception," threatens the very foundation of scientific wildlife management and hunters' rights and directly violates the principles of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation"

Having 45 years of varmint hunting experience, I would disagree with MUCC in this case. Mid-April to Mid-Aug is a coyotes denning season, so the odds of killing a female still nursing pups is quite high. Leaving pups to starve to death or die of thirst in a den is not good conservation, not to mention that any pelt that time of year would be worthless.

Hunt and trap 'em hard through fall and winter, then leave the remaining ones alone to have their kids. JMHO

15-Apr-24
I agree Mike B, actually think they should slide the time line back a month or so from like March 15 - June 15 cause adult pelts are rubbed by mid March going in and out of the den sites and many pups are born in March, and by June around here pups are pretty good size outside the den and at the time of year plenty of young prey species they can survive on their own...

Hey, I don't like coyotes either but am compassionate when it comes to animals and wildlife, and starvation is no way to go...

I know some serious groundhog hunters kill over a hundred groundhogs a year that won't start hunting them until after July 4th...

15-Apr-24
mucc position...

nrc postion...

"Item 6 – Coyote Hunting Season Length

The Department and Furtaker User Group reviewed a proposal to change the coyote hunting season dates to July 15 to April 15. The Department has heard strong input on all sides of the issue from stakeholder groups and the Furtaker User Group.

Issues Pros and Cons

In 2016, the Natural Resources Commission requested the Department develop a recommendation to expand the coyote hunting season. The coyote hunting season was changed from July 15 to April 15, to year-round. At the time, the Department did not expect a year-round season to have a significant biological impact at the statewide level. Instead, the Department felt that in some localized areas, some temporary reductions in coyote densities may occur, but these reductions would be based on the level of increase in harvest and likely to be short-lived. As expected, estimated statewide coyote harvest during 2016-2020 did not increase in response to implementation of a year-round season. Similarly, the estimated average number of coyotes harvested per hunter did not increase during this time either. However, there is concern about social perception and future loss of management tools if the open season continues to allow coyotes to be taken when there are dependent young present. The proposed change will result in not allowing coyote harvest while female coyotes have dependent young. However, the coyote hunting season will still be one of the most liberal seasons in the state, open for nine months. Additionally, coyotes will still be able to be taken year-round on private land if a coyote is doing damage or physically present where it could imminently cause damage. Currently, an individual may not hunt or train dogs on game (including coyote) from April 16 to July 7 due to the presence of dependent young. The Department recommends maintaining this limitation to prohibit the use of dogs to hunt or train on coyotes during this time period.

Biological

Since the coyote hunting season was extended to year-round, statewide harvest estimates and average number of coyotes harvested per hunter have not increased. The Department does not expect a significant biological impact.

Social

The majority of the Furtaker User Group supports this proposed regulation change. Several trapping and hound hunting groups and individuals have requested the Department make this change to the coyote hunting season, due to public perception and potential future impacts to their hunting and trapping opportunities. The Department has been contacted by some predator callers that are opposed to this change, due to reduced hunting opportunity during a period after snow melts and before crops grow in height, when coyotes may be more responsive to calls. Predator callers would be able to continue hunting year-round on private lands where coyotes are doing damage or physically present where they could imminently cause damage. However, other private lands and public lands would be closed that time of year, resulting in some reduced recreational opportunity.

Economic

The Department does not expect an economic impact."

15-Apr-24
Welcome to Political Reality 101.

And FWIW, if you don’t think you should have to live in a world where Political Reality exists, you should not be allowed to vote…. Sort of a Demonstrable Baseline Competence thing.

“ As expected, estimated statewide coyote harvest during 2016-2020 did not increase in response to implementation of a year-round season. Similarly, the estimated average number of coyotes harvested per hunter did not increase during this time either. However, there is concern about social perception and future loss of management tools if the open season continues to allow coyotes to be taken when there are dependent young present.”

In other words, NOT closing the season will not affect the coyote population, but it WILL affect public tolerance for letting the wildlife biologists regulate the seasons. So if a few “sportsmen” fight this one, ALL will lose.

Reality Check — there’s no “sporting” justification for causing pups to die of starvation, and the only coyotes that need killing in the closed season are those which have demonstrated themselves to be “eligible” for control by causing harm such as livestock depredation… and those are the ones that will teach their pups to hunt the same way…. Although probably there would be an increase in depredation by starving pups and surviving “single parents”…

OTOH, keeping a pair of coyotes occupied with rearing a litter of pups will tie up the time that they might otherwise spend hunting. And if they’re burning calories all summer feeding their pups, they’ll go into the Fall in a more stressed condition, so it’s really a win-win.

Plus, if the regs get changed because there is no reason to expect the coyote population to increase, then if it DOES, the wildlife managers are more free to change the regs based on the data in hand. You know, the way Science is SUPPOSED to work…

15-Apr-24
Interesting...they want their right to hunt, but don't believe in the right to free speech. I had posted that same comment (last night) on the YouTube page, and it was deleted with in hour. I've re-posted it, so we'll see how long it lasts this time.

[edit] Went back and checked, and it my posted was deleted within 5 min. Re-posted it yet again.

15-Apr-24
Apparently, dissenting opinions are not allowed to be posted to the YouTube page. I give up on trying to share logic and experience with them.

15-Apr-24
Who is deleting what?

15-Apr-24

Mike B's Link
Zbone, I had posted my comment to the YouTube page (see link), and it is immediately deleted. Every time.

Is this really all that bad of a thing to contribute?

"Having 45 years of varmint hunting experience, I would disagree with MUCC in this case. Mid-April to Mid-Aug is a coyotes denning season, so the odds of killing a female still nursing pups is quite high. Leaving pups to starve to death or die of thirst in a den is not good conservation, not to mention that any pelt that time of year would be worthless. "

I'm not slamming the group, just disagreeing.

16-Apr-24
Finally got a post to stick on their YouTube page. IMO this is a battle they should have passed on.

On a better note, prime winter Michigan coyote pelts were selling at $40 avg., so if you add in a few mink and muskrat a week, a good trapper can make some decent money there. If I was 30 years younger I'd have a go at it.

16-Apr-24
Nice YouTube clip. Well done

16-Apr-24
"If I was 30 years younger I'd have a go at it"

Me too...8^)

24-Apr-24

more news...

"GOP lawmaker expresses 'grave concern' over DNR investigating criminal charges in wolf kill"

24-Apr-24

a little more...

"DNR spokesperson provides insight on gray wolf harvested in Calhoun County"

• Sitka Gear