fuzzy 18-Apr-24
DanaC 19-Apr-24
fuzzy 22-Apr-24
Highlife 22-Apr-24
Highlife 22-Apr-24
fuzzy 23-Apr-24
bghunter 23-Apr-24
13-Apr-24
Matt, you can sit this one out ;) I'm going to Africa with Ken Moody Safaris in '26. Ken says choose a tough uninsulated lightweight boot with quiet sole. Suggestions? Experience?

13-Apr-24

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Courtney’s are many peoples choice. They are over priced IMHO

A thin soled moc toe, ankle high boot will work. Also ankle high gaiters. Leather or nylon

13-Apr-24
Something with waist-high snake protection...

13-Apr-24
My experiences in Africa (and similar places) you would pretty much be fine with tennis shoes. Some lightweight low cut gators would be nice too, I have the Kuiu ones, but not sure they even offer them anymore. Just to keep junk out of your boots.

—Jim

13-Apr-24
I hunted with Ken last year and fretted unnecessarily over this exact same question. Honestly, anything you wear that is comfortable on your feet while hiking will be fine. I ended up using the boots I normally do when I hunt deer and elk (Crispi Guide insulated GTX). My buddies a hunted with cheap lightweight hiking boots, and nobody had any issues.

13-Apr-24

13-Apr-24
Thanks guys

13-Apr-24
Only thing to be aware of are the thorns. If hunting in areas with sickle bush, they can easily pierce a soft sole. I’ve pulled many out of my soles and had a few pulled out of my feet.

14-Apr-24
Yeah he said thorns will be an issue. I plan on double-front long pants and leather boots.

14-Apr-24
My guide at DVS years ago in the same general Limpopo area wore camo shorts with MAYBE a 4” inseam and a standard pair of hiking boots.

IMO anything more than a comfortable pair of khaki pants and summer hiking boots is probably overkill.

I wore Danner pronghorns and the soles were too hard for any kind of stalking. If I’d have had tennis shoes along I’d have worn them after day 1.

14-Apr-24
Badlander, no thorns then?

14-Apr-24
I always just wear comfortable low top hiking shoes, not boots, and have never had an issue in numerous trips.

14-Apr-24
We had zero issues with thorns.

16-Apr-24
There were plenty of thorns but they were never an issue getting to/from the blinds or tracking.

16-Apr-24
Most NA hunting boots are overkill unless you are stalking buffs in rocky country. I used Russell Moccasins with Crepe rubber for my first few trips and they are awesome but pricey. I have used Trail running shoes with short ankle gators and was very happy on my last few trips including 4-8 miles in hilly rocky country on several days. The trail runners have enough support and heavier soles and I had no issues with jumbo thorns etc. I like adidas but fit for your foot type is more important than brand. Enjoy your trip!!!

18-Apr-24
Again, thanks for the input. The outfitter advises that while stalking buffalo thorns are a concern so I'll be factoring that in as a "given".

18-Apr-24

18-Apr-24
Dave yeah I'm going with leather uppers

19-Apr-24

DanaC's Link
Anyone have experience with Lem's Boulder boots ?(company located in Boulder CO)

22-Apr-24
Anyone have any experience with Thorogood brand boots?

22-Apr-24

22-Apr-24

23-Apr-24
Thanks Dave! I'll bring my loincloth but my toenails ain't pretty enough for sandals

23-Apr-24
Others have a ton more experience then me in Africa, but I wore my insulated Mendals and love them. Espically with the colder mornings.

I loved the boots so much after 20 years had then resoled.

• Sitka Gear