Mike Ukrainetz 17-Apr-24
Bou'bound 17-Apr-24
x-man 17-Apr-24
Buglmin 17-Apr-24
Beendare 19-Apr-24
Candor 21-Apr-24
16-Apr-24

Bill V - Iron Will 's Link
To develop a scientific understanding of vane design parameters and their effects on bowhunting arrow performance, we sponsored a University of Colorado - Mechanical Engineering study. Three reports are now available from this study to help bow hunters better understand these critical parameters and how they are affected by the vane design you choose.

Vane Height and Its Effect on Vane Performance, Arrow and Vane Drag, Bow Hunting Vane Stability and Restoring Torque

The goal here is to give bowhunters a better understanding of arrow flight with broadheads to help them be more accurate. We hope these results contribute to more success in the field.

16-Apr-24

Here is the link to Arrow & Vane Drag

16-Apr-24

Here is the link to the report on Arrow Stability & Restoring Torque

17-Apr-24
Thanks for doing this study. This is specific to fixed Broadheads. So many options these days.

17-Apr-24
Clever Marketing campaign.

17-Apr-24
Bill, I appreciate the study, but were other vanes, ie, Blazers, AAE, TAC etc tested. Were feathers tested? To me it's inconclusive based on a data set of 1 style.

17-Apr-24
Can someone cite the top 3-5 takeaways from this in a few sentences.

What does it reveal that is new and helpful?

17-Apr-24
The study included Blazer, TAC, Max Hunter, Hybrid Hunter, Max Stealth, Hybrid 26, SK2, & Super Sabre. To summarize the findings in these reports: taller vanes do a better job of stabilizing fixed blade broadheads and will make them more accurate and hit closer to field points when something isn't perfect, like your bow tune. Three higher profile vanes (0.55-0.58 inches tall) at 2-3 degrees offset or helical perform well. Also, the shape of the vane, with more material high and back, can improve this stabilization. While we do sell the Hybrid Hunter vanes now that performed well in the study, this small amount of profit does not cover the cost of thousands of engineering hours invested in this two year study. I wanted a better scientific understanding of arrow flight with broadheads on the front, so that I could advise our customers on how to be more proficient bowhunters.

17-Apr-24
Thank you so much for doing this study Bill and contributing to the knowledge of good arrow flight with fixed blade broadheads! Especially when those arrows are shot out of a less than perfectly tuned bow, or from a less than perfect shooter like myself.

I’m glad I got my money worth from this study, whoops, oh yeah it’s free. But I might complain anyway…after I read it all, or even before I read it.

17-Apr-24
Nice summary. Thanks

17-Apr-24
"Can someone cite the top 3-5 takeaways from this in a few sentences. What does it reveal that is new and helpful?"

Nothing new to most if not all of the regulars here. Helpful to the newb's and helpful to Iron Will.

I appreciate the effort made by a company to educate themselves. I also appreciate the absence of politics.

17-Apr-24
Vane stiffness is a huge part. That's why so many are shooting the TAC vanes, because of the contol they give an arrow, plus the weigh way less then an AAE vane or a Bohning heat vane. The guys at TAC vane did a huge study, with shooting arrows from shooting machines for down range accuracy.

19-Apr-24
I appreciate the OP spending on the study. Scientific testing is good to have.

For those of us that went with Blazers decades ago and saw how they did the work of longer fletching- we intuitively knew what the results would be.

21-Apr-24
Thank you for sponsoring a study like this. So many times a bad idea can be sold to a lot of people with good marketing. So it is good to see a study that helps ground things and helps make an informed decision.

• Sitka Gear