18-Apr-24

18-Apr-24
An icon

18-Apr-24

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Hella guitarist! RIP

18-Apr-24
I was fortunate to get to see him play live. Awesome guitarist.

18-Apr-24
Saw him live as well. RIP to a great one.

18-Apr-24
'Bluebird' is a favorite and with him being a longbow shooter, what's not to like. R.I.P.

18-Apr-24
Saw him both as a solo act and with the Brothers. Great music either way.

18-Apr-24

18-Apr-24
Betts was a good picker. Respect. Just came in from the garage and watched SRV, Hendrix, Duane Allman, Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd is on now... all in succession. What's happening? These are my favorites. Oh yeah, Derek Trucks too. Maybe he'll be on next. Warm up those amp tubes... let's rock and make some noise in their honor!

Nope, now it's Joe Bonamassa at like age 12.... AMAZING.... SMH

18-Apr-24
My goodness Jeff, those are icons of a great generation of music. Damn I miss those days but have all their music.

18-Apr-24
I wish my uncle hadn’t gone to Vietnam he died there for what? R.I.P. Ramblin’ Man.

18-Apr-24
RIP Dickey...we lost Gregg Allman and now Dickey. Love the Allman Bros Band.

18-Apr-24

DL's Link
Dang that’s sad to hear.

18-Apr-24

Buffalo1's Link
My favorite Dickie Betts interview.

18-Apr-24
Back in the early 90's I worked with a fella named Bill Johnson who said he played guitar with the Allman Brothers. I took him at his word and did no research to check.

Bill told me that the band was staying in a hotel while touring, and that Dickie Betts had brought his bow along. The story goes that Dickie was shooting arrows down the hallway,into the door leading to the stairwell. One of the arrows hit the door just a half second before the hotel security guard opened the door from the other side. Bill said the band paid for repairs to the door.

Back when we had to rent hunting videos on VHS, I remember seeing Dickie Betts on someone's tape, so I assume he was a serious bowhunter. Rest in Peace.

19-Apr-24
RIP. Sad to hear the news. The Allman Brothers is one of my favorite bands. Blue Sky and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed are two of my favorite songs. Both are Dickie's compositions. There is only one surviving member of the band left, Jaimoe, one of the two drummers in the group. Someone above mentioned Derek Trucks. He is the nephew of the late Butch Trucks, the other drummer. He is one hell of a guitar player. He did a stint with a later version of the Brothers. There is a video on you tube of the Brothers performing Whipping Post and Derek just blows it away with his guitar solo.

19-Apr-24
"But he did drugs didn't go to Vietnam screwed groupies and I believe did jail time !! I stirred the embers flame away ;)" Ted is still alive to defend himself, Mr Betts is not. RIP Dickey.

19-Apr-24
"didn't go to Vietnam" that's not a negative to me at all in character. I am bothered when a draft dodger plays super patriot flag waving defender of country role in his later years. That's bs IMO.

Most all my friends never went to war... for a lot of reasons. No problem for me.

Betts was a super talent.. RIP

19-Apr-24
Steve Gaines was another great player. Died at 28 y.o. in the Skynyrd plane crash with his sister Cassie.

Just imagine how much great music we've missed out on in our lives because great guitarists died so young. There have been many.

19-Apr-24
Derek Little SKYDOG It lives on

19-Apr-24
Most of the Southern Rockers are gone now.

21-Apr-24
He could really shoot a longbow too. I saw a video of him and Byron Ferguson hitting flying disks and I don't think he missed one.

26-Apr-24
I saw the Allman Brothers four times while in high school, twice with Duane and twice after his death.Although I much preferred with Duane though they were still great afterwards. Live at the fillmore has to be the best live album ever.I did not like the country sound they started having after a while. I was just telling my wife today that I saw them four times but can barely remember the actual concerts.

• Sitka Gear