Beendare 21-Apr-24
fuzzy 21-Apr-24
Beendare 21-Apr-24
Corax_latrans 21-Apr-24
DonVathome 21-Apr-24
Corax_latrans 22-Apr-24
WV Mountaineer 22-Apr-24
20-Apr-24
is it possible on say a deer or bear or elk to shoot below the spine and not get the lung or only get one lung on a broadside shot from an elevated position.

Could you actually hit below the spine above the near lung down to get a single far side lung hit?

20-Apr-24

Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo
not sure how...at least on a deer.

20-Apr-24
No

20-Apr-24
That would be that "void" that some folks talk about....that doesn't exist.

20-Apr-24
If your question is to just not make contact with lungs … then No But I’m sure a guy like you knows this…

Also Grant you know this is a political site so stay on topic

20-Apr-24
There is no void, but there can be non lethal thoracic wounds.

20-Apr-24
Sorry about getting sidetracked on an archery question but it won’t stay on archery long so we’ll be fine.

I know the void is a falsity but it is normally discussed in the context of a normal hit at normal angles more lateral. I do assume the same applies at severe high entry steep downward trajectory but was curious if there would be any chance of off lung only hit. Clearly near lung only is common.

20-Apr-24
Great question ‘bou. Thanks

20-Apr-24
Ricky that is an awesome cut away pic. I can't see how anyone could say there is a void after looking at that pic. I also agree with Missouribreaks on non-lethal hits through the lungs.

20-Apr-24
1985 was my 1st deer, I had been hunting with a bow since 1982. A buck walked directly under me and I let an arrow fly. A direct hit to the heart and he piled up with in 20yards. A lack of knowledge on my part killed that deer, I wouldn't take that shot now probably knowing my odds aren't very good. I used a magazine article to help me field dress him!

20-Apr-24
Animals can survive chest hits imo, rare, but I've seen it happen multiple times, all of the ones I've seen have been small diameter 2 blades

20-Apr-24
Only one, yes.

Below the spine, the only way to miss lungs entirely is to miss them entirely— ahead or behind.

It is also possible to shoot at a steep angle and get only one (far) lung when shooting OVER the spine.

And the third possibility is (from a very shallow angle) to clip the very top of the near lung and hit the body of a vertebra or a spinal disc.

There is no “void” in any intact animal. Anyone who says otherwise is just flat out WRONG.

“ Could you actually hit below the spine above the near lung down to get a single far side lung hit?”

Nope. Not in a strict sense, although I suppose that at a steep enough angle you could do very little damage on the near side and a pretty fair amount on the Off side. That would be a pretty solid hit because all of the damage would be very close to the midline of the body.

Going over the spine to top the Off lung is a likely to be a VERY difficult recovery job, because the entry wound is through backstrap (so it’s relatively closed) and the exit is high, and it’s literally a Marginal hit, so it won’t clip much in the way of substantial vasculature and it won’t bleed very hard.

20-Apr-24
Great explanation. Makes sense

20-Apr-24
I have seen hits on the edge of the lungs where the animal went further than one would think. I’ve seen critters still alive from being hit through the lungs with chisel point BH with replaceable blades that had dulled on entry on elk and hogs that had thick mud in their hair.

My takeaway, the lungs don’t necessarily collapse from a nick or holes from something dull poking them. Best case is a sharp head…..that causes blood to fill the lungs- they cannot breathe. This is the blood we see them coughing up on a good double lung shot.

We hear guys claim a shot in the lungs with a dull FP kills them. Probably, but from what I’ve seen, they can go a long ways for possibly days- and they would be hard to recover.

I think the takeaway from the void claims- peripheral shots around the vitals can be iffy.

20-Apr-24
Beendare 100% correct! Dull broadheads right out of the package are a serious problem, because of cheap China made steel. Also ones that quickly get dull from hair, bone, mud etc are trouble.

The non-killing void can certainly seem to exist if you watch an animal run across a half mile field with an arrow sticking out both sides right under the spine. It’s just a shitty dull broadhead.

20-Apr-24
Bleeding causes lungs to fill up. That’s a sharpness thing.

Lungs collapse from air getting inside the chest, but not IN the lungs — just in the space where the intact lungs would be. An entrance wound that doesn’t close up is your friend. So is an exit. You knew that.

Also, blood pressure in a vessel increases exponentially with diameter, and the big vessels are close to the heart. BP in the periphery of the lungs is very near zero, so even with a very sharp broadhead, the blood is just kind of oozing out, so that can clot and heal.

21-Apr-24

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
One lung, dull broadhead

21-Apr-24
Like I mentioned earlier, small cut broadheads are responsible for many good hits gone bad, this last fall helped a buddy retrieve his buck, perfect hit, broadside chest, passthrough, snow on the ground, hardly any blood, we found the buck still alive 1.5 hours later and he put a another arrow in it, also in the chest, the buck ran another 300+ yards and died! The broadhead was kayuga, single bevel and he sharpened them himself. I now you have to use these little 2 blade coc heads for the big stuff like buffalo or if you are low poundage but I would never use them for deer, bear elk or moose. Its no wonder why buffalo take so long to die in most of the videos! I lost probably the biggest buck of my lifetime because I was shooting a 1" coc, still hurts, a rage would have put him on my wall

21-Apr-24
Bleeding causes lungs to fill up. That’s a sharpness thing.

Lungs collapse from air getting inside the chest, but not IN the lungs — just in the space where the intact lungs would be. An entrance wound that doesn’t close up is your friend. So is an exit. You knew that.

Also, blood pressure in a vessel increases exponentially with diameter, and the big vessels are close to the heart. BP in the periphery of the lungs is very near zero, so even with a very sharp broadhead, the blood is just kind of oozing out, so that can clot and heal.

21-Apr-24
I had one head scratcher years ago. Broadside elk, layup 35y shot where the bull just stood there staring at the decoy. I drilled the bull mid body behind the shoulder- perfect shot. I had a 70# compound, BH tuned 440g arrow with the original Slick Trick Mag. The arrow was sticking out his side about 6"- weird it wasn't a pass through-later I found the head stuck in the hide on the off side, so dull you couldn't cut yourself.

The bull was caked with dried mud from wallowing- he was literally a dark brown color vs the light tan of these bulls. On the shot, it made that kerplunk sound of the arrow compressing against the hide.

Over the next 15 minutes, the bull walked a little ways, fell down, then got up, fell, rolled around a little obviously struggling trying to get up. There were cows at his side through all of this- hadn't spooked...and I didn't want to run them off thinking that bull was dead.

Eventually I snuck in and put another arrow in him from behind. Interesting autopsy. The recovered head was dull as heck. the wound channel was bruised through the middle of the lungs- very little blood from that. I was surprised the lungs didn't collapse with that arrow through them.

Those ST's weren't the best steel....and not the sharpest out of the package. I think the combo of factors; not that sharp to begin with, bad blade angle that had the head chopping its way in through dirt caked hide and hair dulling the very thin crummy steel.

I would imagine a forward opening Mech head would have done the same- crummy thin steel blades with an easily dulled edge....though I've shot mech's in the past with 100% effectiveness.

Since that instance, I shoot a more tapered design that slices in. These slice in effortlessly and puts very little of the blade bevel in contact with hair, hide and bone AND I touch them up right out of the package. They have the added advantage on most animals dying in sight....many just don't know they were hit- especially if I did my part and wasn't made on the shot.

21-Apr-24
One lung? C'mon man! My uncle shot a deer and the .....you know the guy is....when I was growing up in the 'hood we used to catch .....I've got two words for that...."Made in America "

21-Apr-24
Speaking of shot angle:

I've been involved with 2 crazy instances of arrows taking a severe turn when hitting a critter- both mech heads.

The one was my buddy testing a mech head design way back when - the predecessor to the Rage. I was filming for a rep buddy on a Texas HF ranch. He shot a fallow deer at 40y slight quartering away. On review of the footage, the arrow hit and you could see by the back end of the arrow, it took a 45 deg turn on hitting ribs exiting out through the front brisket never penetrating the rib cage. We finally got that deer...and the wound channel was as described- a non lethal shot but made a white fallow bloody as heck.

The other was a Tekan. A pro shooter buddy hit a whitetail 30y out and the arrow hit, said the arrow flew funny, arrow hit and flipped downward and exited out the bottom of the deer on the same side as the hit. He said it looked like the arrow took a 90 deg turn straight down. We never found that buck- a nice 160 class buck as it turned out. Our rancher buddy friend shot that buck the next week in rifle season and he said the wound channel was still healing and visible. He said it looked like the arrow hit the rib cage, penetrated slightly and turned straight down.

Now with that one, I pulled a couple of his arrows out of his quiver in camp and some of the blades would come loose- so no doubt he shot an arrow with a blade dangling- something one doesn't have to worry about with fixed heads.

Anyway- to the "Void" thing...I think there is enough craziness that CAN happen that would explain away the void theory.

21-Apr-24
No “explaining away” required. The void simply does not exist.

The craziness is just where whack-job beliefs like The Void come from. Alternative Facts kind of thing.

Alternative Facts aren’t Facts — they’re alternatives TO Facts.

21-Apr-24
Most do not know how much room is above the spine over the lungs. That is where many hit that think they hit the lungs. I shot a doe during gun season with an old bullet hole so low even I swore it had to hit lungs. It did not. The exit hole was 1/3 of the way down on the deer! M y buddy thought he missed a doe on a steep treestand shot a couple days before. After I shot my deer I checked his stand and found hair from his shot. It was the same doe. It was a steep shot but man it was eye opening.

his shot exited 1/3 of the way down on the far side.

There is no way to shoot under the spine and not hit lungs.

22-Apr-24
Sure you can, Don! Just gotta shoot under the brisket, too! ;)

22-Apr-24
Time and my hunting crew, the “void” is actually above the spine. The spine drops low to go between the shoulder blades. It creates a nice little area of nothing but muscle and the top of the vertebrae.

Shoot the same height as the spine when it passes below the shoulder blades, 5 inches behind the shoulder and you hit lungs. Same windage 3” lower it’s a liver hit.

Shoot 5 inches behind the shoulder blade/joint, at heart level and it’s a dead center gut. shot. Shoot the deer 4” below back line through the shoulders and you voided your chance at eating good.

That’s the void.

22-Apr-24

"Most do not know how much room is above the spine over the lungs. That is where many hit that think they hit the lungs."

yep...depending on where you hit...theres a lot of non-lethal meat up there.

• Sitka Gear