Bowfreak 25-Apr-24
Lewis 25-Apr-24
Bowfreak 25-Apr-24
Glunker 27-Apr-24
BoggsBowhunts 27-Apr-24
Teeton 27-Apr-24
Starfire 27-Apr-24
21-Apr-24
I have a new private land spot for turkeys this year, and it's bow only.

I've never used my bow for turkeys, only my 870.

I'll need a blind.

What should I look for in a blind? Pro's and con's?

Please and thank you.

21-Apr-24
There are many good ones out there. On our farm we set them out for the season and we have had great luck with the heavy duty models from Barronett.

21-Apr-24
Do a search of this site on this topic- tons of helpful info. I like the double bull double wide.

22-Apr-24
I use and have good luck with my double bulls and Xenek blinds. Have heard good things about the Barnett as well

22-Apr-24
IMO the most important factor is bow shootable windows/ports. IMO most have windows that are too high (at the bottom) for good comfortable bow shooting, especially at close range. I also like the newer see-through type blinds.

—Jim

23-Apr-24
Seeing as you're from Connecticut like me I'll comment. I would try my best to set up at-with a couple big oaks in my shot zone. If you can get the bird behind one you'll know his range and he can't see you draw. Almost too easy. Win-Win

23-Apr-24
The new see through blinds are all the fad now. They work great too if you aren't looking for protection from wind and rain as well as concealment. I want all three however.

23-Apr-24
Have a Double Bull Blind and its at least 10 years old and has worked great. I would highly recommend shooting with the netting over the windows. I say that because I used to keep the windows open and turkeys always kept their distance but as soon as I put the netting up, they would literally go next to the blind.

23-Apr-24
I just bought the Surroudview Max ground blind. All things considered it was the best choice for me. The only negative it has vs the Surroundview Double Wide is size. The double wide is bigger and more like the size of the my Matrix but it is heavier and has 300 degrees of the surroundview walls vs. 180 on the Max. I love the Surroundview but much prefer having only two walls that are "see through" as it lets much less light in to be silhouetted.

23-Apr-24

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
This barronett would have worked well this morning but oh no I have a doctors appointment lol ?? Good luck Lewis

23-Apr-24

Tracker's embedded Photo
Tracker's embedded Photo
I have killed at least 15 birds from my ground blind. Old Double Bulls 360 and NEVER have the screen down. I have had birds so close I could reach out and grab them. Best advice is to get something that you can adjust the windows for uphill or downhill shots. I hunted that last few days out of my buddies Tidewee blind that gives you a fill 240 view and shot. I have to say for the cheap price it was pretty nice.

24-Apr-24
I had two from Cabelas, one still going strong , and the other succumbed to a curious bear. The one thing they have in common, is the camo mesh. I shot 5 turkeys thru the mesh with no arrow deflection whatsoever. being that the interior is black , I mostly wore black or any dark colour clothing. No bird, of any kind, ever saw me behind the mesh, not even at a mere two feet. I do not think it would work if you were to use the guillotine type heads.

24-Apr-24
Treeman is spot on. I never even needed to take a shot from a blind, and that became quite clear early on. Add in "where" you are going to put your bow (obviously space).

24-Apr-24
I love my double bull with the shoot through mesh and what was said above I close up all the sides except the front to make it as dark as possible inside.

24-Apr-24
I probably know the answer to this question but would a Vortex go through the mesh accurately.Good luck Lewis

25-Apr-24
Lewis,

I have shot a handful of turkeys through the mesh of a DB Matrix 360 with 2.75” Vortex. They worked just fine shooting through mesh. I am not sure if this is what you are asking, but I don’t think the Surroundview material would be shoot through though.

25-Apr-24
Thanks that is exactly what I was referring to.Good luck all Lewis

25-Apr-24
The surroundview material is more of a vinyl type material and is much tougher than the shoot through netting.

27-Apr-24
I am disappointed in the Rhino blind I bought.

27-Apr-24
I got a Rhino Blinds 180 last year and loved the “shootability” of it compared to the fixed-window models that I had hunted out of prior. That being said, one of the frame posts on it blew out of the bottom sleeve after probably the fifth time I set it up. Terrific “layout” but wildly lacking in durability. I’ll likely end up reinforcing all of the sleeves that the frame slides into proactively, but that’s undeniably something that should not have to be done by a customer on a $150+ blind (or any blind for that matter).

That being said, if I ever buy another the first thing I’ll look for is window customization potential. The pull up and pull down “long” windows that adjust exactly how you want to make a night and day difference over having to rotate the blind until the small fixed windows are just right for your chair and shooting lane. I won’t go back.

27-Apr-24

Teeton's Link
I love turkey bowhunting. Hunting them mostly out of blinds. I got 5 different blinds. By far my favorite blind for turkey is my old double bull T5 (I think that's what its called) with the 8 shooting windows and 4 viewing windows. Here's a picture of it in the link. I could very easily close up windows on the far side of blind from where turkeys were coming from. I'd be in back side of blind, draw from middle of blind and slowly move to shooting window and never get caught. I've done modifications to other blinds to be more like the T5. I also like throwing some limbs from trees and a few hand full of leaves on the roof. That to me make the world of different making the blind blend in. Set it up, walk back and look at it and then add the stuff to the roof and walk back and look at. That sure help blend it in.

I'd buy someone's T5 if they had one for sale.

Ed

27-Apr-24
The things I look for in a blind is black back fabric (also makes the blind water resistant. Silent windows (no zippers or velcro so you can keep as many closed as possible to keep the blind dark) windows on all sides of the blind for 360 degree shooting (cheaper blinds don't have windows on the back side. Windows that go low (remember your broadhead sits 5-7 " lower than you sight. I knew the double bull guys Keith and Brooks when they started out. They said the most common repair was broadhead holes below the windows.

For turkeys you don't need scent flaps. Camo pattern does not matter. Replace all the factory tie downs with paracord and replace the cheap stakes with the ones made out of large nails.

• Sitka Gear