Jebediah 24-Apr-24
Franzen 24-Apr-24
DanaC 24-Apr-24
CBFROMND 24-Apr-24
Franzen 25-Apr-24
DanaC 25-Apr-24
Jebediah 25-Apr-24
23-Apr-24
I’d like to purchase a ladder stand for whitetail. The property I hunt has a lot of narly trees where a traditional stand can’t be hung. I only need to be 18ft or less up. What are your recommendations.

23-Apr-24
I use and love the big game 1.5 Plenty big and amazingly comfortable. You can sit all day the platform is larger enough that you can stand and shoot with the seat folded down. It has a gun rest which I tie up to the tree and Ty-wrap branches on for cover..

23-Apr-24
Have had a Big Game for years, solid.

23-Apr-24

Ricky The Cabel Guy's embedded Photo
i have 3 of the basic two man stands (rivers edge or big game) set up on my property and 1 spare still in the box. some are 15' and some are 18'. i have no issues with them. I use them for both bow hunting and gun hunting. they are easy to assemble...quiet...lots of room...and you can get them pretty cheap. i leave them up all year.

i usually watch the big box stores (walmart/menards/etc) in my area for the after season blowout sales and i get them for less than $100.

23-Apr-24
Millennium L110 - I’ve got 3 and they are my favorite by far.

23-Apr-24
Old School X2^^^ I’ve got several different brands, and the Millennium is the most well made and comfortable, IMO.

23-Apr-24
I have to disagree on that style of stand Ricky. That shallow foot rest would make placing my feet difficult for a standup shop with a recurve. Those are designed for seated riflemen - or crossbow shooters >;-)

The platform on a ladder stand, for a standing archer, should be 2 ft.²

23-Apr-24
Bowboy, do you care about weight and portability? If so, Summit makes one. It's still 50 lbs at 17 feet. I do not believe anyone makes an aluminum stand anymore.

23-Apr-24
"I have to disagree on that style of stand Ricky. That shallow foot rest would make placing my feet difficult for a standup shop with a recurve."

to each their own i guess...ive never had a problem shooting a recurve or longbow out of them.

23-Apr-24
I have the same as Ricky it is easy to stand and shoot the platform is plenty big enough

23-Apr-24
fwiw...ive shot my recurve sitting down also. no issues.

23-Apr-24
Look at Primal ladder stands. Well built & they have a cable truss system which eliminates the need for a brace. Braces can be very hard to use in crooked trees. They also have jaws that can be locked on the tree from the ground. I have a couple & really like them.

23-Apr-24

pirogue's embedded Photo
Today’s modern stands just don’t have any character.
pirogue's embedded Photo
Today’s modern stands just don’t have any character.

23-Apr-24
Another way is Muddy sticks and hang on , stick will bend more then I thought and might work for your crooked trees using ratchet straps .

23-Apr-24
One comment I will add that I do not see yet... I have been hunting out of ladder stands exclusively for over ten years. A sling style seat is by far the most comfortable I have found. There isnt a cushion thick enough to allow me to set as long as I can set in a sling seat. FWIW

23-Apr-24
Really like the kind where you attach both the seat part and the foot part to the tree. I think this is more stable and safer.

23-Apr-24
I like the ladder stand to have a fold up seat. You can stand close to the tree for better concealment. Most of mine don’t have this feature, but were only $50 on sale. I leave them out year round, but remove the ratchet straps

24-Apr-24
"Today’s modern stands just don’t have any character."

lol

ive built my share of stands like that over the years...but at least i made them out of pressure treated lumber. one of them is still being used.

:)

24-Apr-24
Nailed plenty of boards up in trees back when I was a young monkey boy. Learn the hard way that porcupines love to eat plywood...

24-Apr-24
"Nailed plenty of boards up in trees back when I was a young monkey boy..."

first buck i ever shot was while standing on a single 2x8 wedged in the crotch of an apple tree.

memories...

24-Apr-24
Love to see old wooden stands in the woods. When I see an abandoned metal stand, it upsets me because it’s basically litter. But those ancient wooden stands seem like a bit of history to me.

24-Apr-24
I used to like the basic ones you would get from "insert your local name" farm or big box hardware store. Those have gone so far downhill it is a shame. Don't really have the desire to spend $200-$300+ to get a halfway decent stand. Honestly considering going back to wood, but the issue with those is weight during installation. I've put one up solo before, but wouldn't attempt that now.

24-Apr-24

who here remembers these gems? i used to call them "hibachi stands" because it felt like i was sitting on a hibachi grill.

24-Apr-24
"Don't really have the desire to spend $200-$300+ to get a halfway decent stand. "

Nowadays, you can spend that on a dozen arrows. A solid, quiet, comfortable stand may allow you to hunt longer. No point being 18 feet up in the air if you're constantly fidgeting.

24-Apr-24
We have a Rivers Edge Two-plex and plan on adding another... seat goes up as you stand... Alot of room on this stand and very sturdy..

24-Apr-24

a little off topic but who has tried one of these over your 2man ladders?

i picked one up a number of years ago and it is the cats meow for late season rifle and muzzleloader hunts.

ive even used a buddy heater in it.

25-Apr-24
If a dozen arrows is $200-$300, which I doubt I'd spend, then a dozen stands is $2500-$3000. I'm not a rifle hunter, so I need more than one ladder stand. If fidgeting is a problem, you should definitely consider that.

25-Apr-24
Yeah, I don't have the place to set a dozen stands. My days of being able to scrounge free wood and build stands for the price of nails are long gone. If I needed to hunt a dozen locations from trees, I'd look at climbers. Or 'bracket' hanging stands.

(Now stand by for incoming from the saddle junkies ;-) )

25-Apr-24
Careful of the flip-up seats, cost me a deer two years ago when mine kind of fell down as I was trying to fold it up. KLANG—end of story. My own stupidity, obviously. Nevertheless, it happens.

25-Apr-24
"If a dozen arrows is $200-$300, which I doubt I'd spend, then a dozen stands is $2500-$3000. I'm not a rifle hunter, so I need more than one ladder stand."

thats why i keep my eyes open at the end of the season for the box store blowouts like the one i posted. im sure they dont have all the features that some like but for $50 - $100 bucks...they do everything i need and more. I just set em and forget em.

at the end of the season i just take the pressure off the ratchet strap and cinch it back down the next season.

• Sitka Gear