fdp 03-May-24
DonVathome 03-May-24
BOHNTR 03-May-24
Backus 05-May-24
GFL 05-May-24
MIKE 06-May-24
Stringcheesehead 06-May-24
02-May-24
I’d like to dig a water hole on the edge of a field a little deeper and wider. I have two thoughts, and hoping to hear from anyone that’s tried either. I have a piece of heavy rubber roofing that’s big enough to cover the bottom of the new size, or should I look at spreading some bentonite in the bottom? The rubber seems pretty idiot-proof, but will a deer walk on it? The soil is somewhat sandy, with a layer of clay. Would using both be excessive?

02-May-24
If it holds water now why would you need a liner ?

02-May-24
I feel like it should be holding water longer than it does. I know some is evaporating, but I’d like to eliminate to possibility that there’s any leeching into the ground. If it’s dry for awhile, the waterhole will dry up.

02-May-24
Got it. So it it basically just catches some run off then ? No regular water source running in ?

02-May-24
Dig the hole out 6 to 12 inches deeper than you want, place the liner down then backfill that 6-12 inches of dirt back on top. That way small animals can get out and the deer won't puncture the liner with their hooves.

02-May-24
Rubber roofing can leech toxins into the water . I'd go with the clay

03-May-24
If I wanted it to become a relatively permanent water source and I was going to keep the property I think I would spring for an actual pond liner.

03-May-24
I think the liner is a good idea. What is at the bottom now? Clay and rock can prevent water seeping out. I like the cover with some soil to stop feet from directly hitting bottom. They could wear that away, so maybe cheap tarps over liner to protect it?

Another idea is box it out so deer can't walk in it but still get water.

03-May-24
Why not use bentonite Clay? It’s what the ranchers use for dirt ponds for cattle and elk around these parts. Holds water very well.

05-May-24
Bentonite they line fish ponds with it -!if not a rubber liner will work. A farm store has it in large rolls. Have them cut off the length you need.

05-May-24
100% pond liner

06-May-24
Thanks guys. I've decided to go with both. This is where a valley comes into the corner of a field. I'm going to dig it deeper, then lay the liner in, then add about 8" of soil back into the hole. Finally, I'll add about ten bags of bentonite to the soil added on top of the rubber liner.

06-May-24
I made a waterhole years ago with rubber roofing. Works great and no holes from deer walking and jumping in it.

• Sitka Gear