BoggsBowhunts 03-May-24
TEmbry 04-May-24
milnrick 04-May-24
Boreal 04-May-24
milnrick 04-May-24
mountainman 06-May-24
Ollie 07-May-24
03-May-24
Thought I’d ask folks who have been through these steps before me before I put time/money into bowhunter ed. Plus field days aren’t easy accessible for me.

I’m looking at out of state hunting in Idaho, Montana, Maine, and Alaska. Some of these states require IBEP with the field day. But google searching and reading some of the regulations has found if you have owned an archery license from any state you’re grandfathered in.

So in simplest terms for the fine folks out there is: if I show proof that I had a filled tag for an Indiana archery deer in 2014: is that sufficient enough to obtain an archery license in the 12 states and few Canadian providences that have the IBEP program?

Thank you

03-May-24
A few years ago I stopped at a Wallmart to purchase OTC elk tag, although I've hunted Colorado several times, they would not sell me a tag without showing my hunter Ed card. I had previous years license with me.

Had to go to a game and fish office to purchase it.

03-May-24
I think the OP is speaking about a different program specific for bow hunting rather than basic hunter Ed programs.

Your previous years CO license should have said "verified" somewhere on it if you had already taken a hunters Ed course.

03-May-24
Just take the South Dakota online only course and be done with it. That state Bowhunters Ed course is accepted by other states and they don’t have the field day required.

03-May-24
Contact the state license office where you plan to hunt.

"before I put time/money into bowhunter ed."

This shouldn't be more than 1-2 days.

03-May-24
Millie and I retired from teaching IBEP when we moved from TX to TN about 8 years ago. This was about the same time they switched to pushing the on-line training instead of one day classroom and a half day with field work. FWIW most folks, ages 12-60ish with 0 - ions of experience all said they preferred the 2 day course. Why, because the course was set for folks to interact to the point where experienced and inexperienced archers actually learned from ea h other.

I'd suggest contacting contacting the NBEF (www.nbef.org) and get a solid read of the states where it's required, and understand that the course is a one-time thing. You can lose your card but you'll be in the database and can have a new one issued.

Who knows you just might meet a couple potential hunting friends in the process.

03-May-24
I took the archery bowhunting class several years ago to be able to hunt CO without any last minute surprises or problems. Didn’t learn much if anything new but it was fun and got to meet a few new friends and caught up with some old friends. I didn’t consider it wasted time.

03-May-24
Agree with Tembry, just get the South Dakota online class. I took it before my grizzly haul road hunt last spring. Pretty painless to get through.

03-May-24
You might want to research if the archery tags expire, but I don’t think they do. I know they don’t require proof that the tag was filled, in Montana I didn’t have any trouble by simply proving I possessed a Missouri Archery tag the year before and that was for both a general permit and an archery-only permit. Don’t worry about filled or unfilled - I’m sure your 2014 filled tag would be fine, but if you had a 2023 unfilled tag you’d also be fine.

Regardless, I’d either call the state game and fish for the states you’re seriously considering this year and confirm or if you’re a Huntin Fool member I’d ask one of their advisers. I’d likely trust one of the HF advisers more than I’d trust someone at game and fish, as you never know when you’re gonna be the lucky soul who gets the phone picked up by a first-week-here intern.

04-May-24
Thanks for the info on South Dakota, i’ll see if its any different.

Boggs, the biggest thing with why I ask about filled tags is because until last year to hunt the OH muzzleloader season in Wayne National forest: I never have bought a license thanks to land ownership.

I think I’ll probably just take the course just to streamline the process. KY is going to be the closest state for me taking the online test isn’t the problem…. just don’t know when or where they’re going to have the field day. MI does a better job posting when they’re going to have a field day, just a far drive and difficult with an on call work schedule. Maybe able to rope a friend in from the northern part of the state to give me a place to stay and may even do the class with me

04-May-24
South Dakota issues you a Bowhunters education card with no field day required. You take the online course and you are done. Never have to worry about it again.

04-May-24
Contact your state's Hunter Ed and 4H coordinators, they should have a list of current instructors in your area (or a reasonable distance). I know when we certified several 4H instructors to teach IBEP; they may have a field day planned in your area that you could squeeze into.

Good luck

04-May-24

Boggs, the biggest thing with why I ask about filled tags is because until last year to hunt the OH muzzleloader season in Wayne National forest: I never have bought a license thanks to land ownership.

I think I’ll probably just take the course just to streamline the process. KY is going to be the closest state for me taking the online test isn’t the problem…. just don’t know when or where they’re going to have the field day. MI does a better job posting when they’re going to have a field day, just a far drive and difficult with an on call work schedule. Maybe able to rope a friend in from the northern part of the state to give me a place to stay and may even do the class with me

04-May-24
My states archery hunters ed course is IBEF approved. They issued me a card when I was 16 in 1979 or 80. Naturally, it's long gone. The first time I was going to hunt Alaska, I found out I needed a copy of it. I contacted my state F&G and they sent me a replacement. Good thing too as we were stopped and checked by a Federal wildlife officer on the Haul Road.

04-May-24
Its sad there aren't more classes being offered whether online with a field day or full classroom format. We heard the same thing year after year about classes not being publicized well. The result was that we had folks from MS, LA, NM and the TX/AR/LA area complete courses so they could hunt in AK, NB, and elsewhere.

04-May-24

06-May-24
I did South Dakotas years ago just to have a card in case I ever need it. I was open to doing one with a field day, but the field days seemed hard to find at the time I was doing it(I am in TN).

07-May-24
The easiest way to avoid Hunter ed requirements problems is to take both a general Hunter ed as well as bowhunters ed. different states have different requirements. If you have both certificates you are covered regardless of state requirements.

• Sitka Gear