Missouribreaks 07-May-24
Missouribreaks 07-May-24
pav 07-May-24
Live2Hunt 07-May-24
Missouribreaks 07-May-24
06-May-24

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
From study in Wisconsin to at included 19 other states surveyed.

06-May-24
I think your study has gone sideways!

06-May-24
This is a deer mentality only. Point creep is very real with many other species.

06-May-24
In fact it appears to be whitetail only, not mule deer.

06-May-24
A)Few states measure weapon-specific success rates. States that did showed higher success rates for crossbow users than vertical bow users.

B)Crossbows did not cause any change in total deer harvest.

C)The addition of crossbows did not have any measurable biological impact on the states' deer herds

D)In the states that measured wounding and/or hit rates, there was little difference between vertical bow and crossbow users.

Anyone else see any conflicting data here? IF A is true than how in the world are B-D true????

06-May-24
as it pertains to deer...aside from all the histrionics...this is pretty much as expected.

it will be interesting to see what individual states say regarding individual license sales.

where was this printed?

06-May-24
In WV our total Archery/crossbow harvest numbers didn’t change much but now we have more crossbow harvests than vertical bow harvest.

It appears that it didn’t bring in a lot of new hunters but a lot of vertical bow hunters switched to crossbow

06-May-24
In most of the midwest I see very few bowhunters these days, the majority have dropped bowhunting to become crossbow hunters.

06-May-24
It was in deer and deer hunting current issue

06-May-24
One thing it has done in WI, is make public more crowded during the bow season. I wouldn't say it has recruited new hunters. But what it has done is put many many more gun hunters now in our bow season with the Xbow. Way more pressure for the rut.

06-May-24
“Anyone else see any conflicting data here? IF A is true than how in the world are B-D true????”

A and B are definitely in obvious conflict with each other, regardless of what kind of spin anyone tries to put on it.

06-May-24
It doesn’t get talked about but how have crossbows affected tag draws. Kansas is a draw for Nonresidents and starting this year Nebraska is going to a draw for nonresident archery tags. Both states have full inclusion into archery season.

For the states that have over the counter tags. How much added pressure have crossbows put onto public land during the archery season?

06-May-24
Numbers get skewed. Here in Wisconsin, they have a Conservation Patron license that basically includes all hunting/fishing/trapping/parks, etc. But, it also includes an xgun stamp which you have to have with your archery license to use one. I detest the full inclusion thing they did here, should have stayed 65 and older or handicapped. But, I cannot remove it from my license. They ask if I want trapping, waterfowl, Sturgeon, and other things, but I cannot remove xgun stamp from my license. So, everyone that has a CP license has an xgun stamp. This will skew the numbers making it look like a lower number per xgun user than reality.

06-May-24
No magazine that gets advertising dollars is going to say anything negative about one of it's main advertiser. It's always, one way or another good. I hope this is not perceived at a political statement, but "Crossbows are the Bud Light of bowhunting".

06-May-24
No issues with crossbows here, I haven't seen one up in the mountains yet I know they are used there too.

06-May-24
I have never liked Crossbows...admittedly its a strong bias I have.

I think it's partially because it was considered a poachers weapon back in my younger days. I think its fine in Rifle seasons...and that its cheating in Archery seasons unless you are legitimately disabled. If you cannot shoot a bow properly...then don't cheat...use your crossbow in rifle seasons.

But have you noticed...the crossbow guys don't want to do that, no advantage competing with rifles. Hmmmm.....tells me the only reason to use a crossbow is to take advantage over more primitive weapons.

06-May-24
Crossbows are an archery weapon It’s been around longer than the compound I find it funny people hate on crossbows But have every technical invention known to man attached to their bow But slam a crossbow shooter lol How come there is no crossbow related information on Bowsite ? Ide rather see families out enjoying the woods together with a crossbow than some ego or attitudes keeping people from using them ? Change is coming like it or not , I shot a compound ever since I was 12 Was a sponsored shooter for Golden Eagle Archery in the late 80s early 90s I now have to shoot a crossbow , my tag my choice ! It’s called hunting folks don’t pidgin hole yourselves

06-May-24
“ IF A is true than how in the world are B-D true????”

Because success is shifting towards crossbow users, meaning fewer individual hunters are filling the same total number of tags. I suppose you could the-frame that as the most successful hunters are switching to crossbows.

Probably also suggests that the bulk of the harvest is occurring on Private land where landowner preferences dictate the number, age and sex of animals taken.

It would be a lot more interesting to see the data from 1 Deer/year states…. if there are any left….

But you do the math…. If a compound is a 90% reliable, 30-yard weapon in the hands of the average user and a crossbow is equally reliable out to 45, then all else being equal, a crossbow hunter is 2.25 times more likely to fill his tag than a compound shooter. And 5 times more likely than someone who restricts himself to shooting 20 yards.

06-May-24
Archer, their minds are made up... beating a dead horse... and dog and goat;0) Been dare, how can it be cheating if it's legal? Go Bandits! scentman

06-May-24
If total deer harvest hasn't changed, that may mean more are killed during the bow season and less during gun season.

06-May-24
Good post corax. scentman

06-May-24
Modern scoped crossbow machines are reliable far beyond 45 yards. I know animals move, but most not like whitetails. Mule deer, elk and bear are very commonly killed with crossbows at 75 yards, plus. And believe me, I know scoped crossbow hunters who routinely shoot at these distances, and beyond. Hell of a weapon. Personally, I prefer bowhunting.

06-May-24
Coral.scentman For the most part Ontario is a 1 deer per hunter province Now we have party hunting But if you teach these hunters to limit your shots and take high quality shots doesn’t matter recurve , longbow, compound , crossbow Limit shots to 30 yards and in some cases 20 yards ? Outdoor television has soured me Watching these so called pros shooting arrows at 60 70 80 yards even 100 yards Finding their animal 5 days later ? I sure want taught that I now shoot a crossbow and when I practice I practice at 100 yards When I hunt I hunt 30 yards and in ! I believe one crossbow company advertises their crossbow will have you taking game 100 yards and beyond I was taught archery is an upclose and personal game ! I still believe that Bowhunter education needs to come into play here

06-May-24
What I read into A is that the compounds are getting hung up and crossbows getting picked up. No more deer killed because no more folks being recruited. Same number of hunters killing the same number of deer just a higher percentage killed with crossbows.

With that said I would bet C is not correct. If it is a much more efficient weapon (and I believe it is) I would bet the average age of the buck herd has decreased in states that have full inclusion.

06-May-24
The scoped crossbow is far more efficient, and effective. Especially at 60 yards and beyond.

06-May-24
Archer, I also limit my shots to 30 yds or so, energy is diminished do to the bolt being lighter... I feel more at ease with my Ross compound while hunting, but if I'm up in my tripod with a railing for a rest I utilize my Thunderhawk. scentman

06-May-24

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo

06-May-24
Scent man I weight my bolts 600 plus grains I take moose deer bear turkey coyotes with my crossbow Just like I did with my compound , I don’t understand the fight that the weapon the X person is shooting is better or should be the preferred method ? Stupid , I do agree scoped crossbows shooting animals at distances past 40 yards is poor hunter Ethics , but I watch outdoor television compound shooters doing the same thing on deer elk hogs moose ?

06-May-24
This discussion is as useless as the political ones, but I feel compelled to put in my two cents. I shot vertical bows until I couldn’t, but I have never looked down on someone else’s choice of legal weapons. A dead deer in your freezer is a dead deer in your freezer. I find “trophy hunting” , that is, valuing an animal more for its antlers, horns, etc. to be more abhorrent than method of take, but that’s a personal thing. If you don’t, then that’s your choice. I have taken animals with bow, rifle, muzzleloader, shotgun, and handgun. All but the varmints were consumed by my family, and that’s what the Good Lord intended when he said man had dominion over the animals, fish, and fowl. I don’t think he said you had to use a bow, even though that was the best thing available at the time. YMMV, carry on.

06-May-24
One of my favorite hunting shows is that dude shooting big Canadian Whitetail's with his Excalibur crossbows! Good stuff. scentman

06-May-24
"I would bet the average age of the buck herd has decreased in states that have full inclusion." Bingo!!! I'm guessing it also hurt our doe/fawn population in the public lands of Wisconsin also. There are little to no deer left on these lands especially in the central and northern part of the state. Wolves have decimated the herd, and the xguns+bait piles have done the rest. BTW, if your thinking of coming to Wisconsin and hunt the large public forests, I would not recommend it unless your into landscape nature walks only.

06-May-24
Whats missing is how have bowhunter numbers changed in states with full inclusion?

Nothing has reduced bowhunting numbers more than crossbow inclusion. Many ignore that and just say crossbows are basically bows so who cares?

They arent bows, they are crossbows. Nothing wrong with them, pretty cool weapon. But, what made bowhunting special was a lot more than how a broadhead gets delivered. The reasons crossbows are popular are because they eliminate a bunch of effort that is part of why bowhunting was special. We eliminate the challenges at our own demise ignoring that the challenges are the foundation.

06-May-24
It is kind of strange in the Wisconsin northern forests the deer numbers are noticeably down, yet hunters opt for the scoped crossbow to make decimating the remaining herd even easier. Hunters complain about the numbers, yet embellish an easier weapon for use during archery seasons. Hunters are an odd group, to be sure.

06-May-24
Scentman Canadian whitetail television With Dean Partridge? Love that show

06-May-24
What I read into A is that the compounds are getting hung up and crossbows getting picked up. No more deer killed because no more folks being recruited. Same number of hunters killing the same number of deer just a higher percentage killed with crossbows.

With that said I would bet C is not correct. If it is a much more efficient weapon (and I believe it is) I would bet the average age of the buck herd has decreased in states that have full inclusion.

06-May-24
“Few states measure weapon-specific success rates. 19 States that did showed higher success rates for crossbow users than vertical-bow users.”

“Crossbows did not cause any change in total deer harvest.”

How is one true without the other? It’s not. I smell BS. My take from the article is that there is zero measurable benefit from allowing cross-dresser bows in archery season. Keep them where they belong… in rifle season.

06-May-24
OK, so compared to a 25-yard weapon….

A 50-yard weapon can cover a field of fire 4X greater.

A 75-yard weapon can cover a field 9X greater.

A 100-yard weapon can cover a field 16X greater.

Gonna guess there are 3 reactions to those numbers. OK, 4.

1) Shock/Horror from those who are more interested in Hunting than killing.

2) “Holy CRAP - sign me up!!” from those who are more interested than killing than Hunting.

3) Indifference from those who still believe that what other hunters do doesn’t affect them or their hunting.

4) Indignant protest from people who don’t understand the numbers and can’t do the Math.

06-May-24
3) Indifference from those who still believe that what other hunters do doesn’t affect them or their hunting.

I hunt private land, never public, so the extent of other hunters affecting my hunting is minimal. True, “my deer” don’t stay on my place all the time, but neither do they during general season. I guess I’m just not jealous of what someone else does as long as it’s legal. I have been aware for all of my life that deer belong to the state, not to me, so unless you’re tresspassing on me, I have no hold on what or how you hunt, nor do I care. This is still somewhat America, where you get to hunt like you want, and I get to hunt like I want.

06-May-24
I’m surprised this super detailed and 100% reliable and unbiased study didn’t quantify total “archery” tag sales before and after crossbow legalization. It says no real difference in total harvest, but doesnt say anything to rebuke the overcrowding statement it mentions earlier in the article.

Archery is of course in quotation marks because true archery tags no longer exist once crossbows get legalized and normalized.

06-May-24
“ I hunt private land, never public, so the extent of other hunters affecting my hunting is minimal. ”

In which case your belief is largely supported by Facts. And your overall attitude about the animals not belonging to you is (JMO) entirely rational. (The facts around that are certainly on your side!)

More importantly (to me, anyway) you seem to have the capacity to realize that not many of us have it so good; we just seem to have different opinions as to whether the wildlife managers ought to adjust the regulations to address the realities which are faced by Public land hunters…..

I’d be happy to persuade you to agree with me on that, but I think I see where you’re coming from, mostly….

06-May-24
Ok so which doctrine do you subscribe to Corax?

06-May-24
I use a crossbow, because of my accident in 2022, at 73. I worked hard to get back to vertical, but not in the cards. Full inclusion us BS, and Deer and Deer Hunting mag, is trying to survive. I like my xbow, but it's a killing machine. I am thankful for it. But NO WAY SOME HEALTHY ASSHOLE AT 35, needs it. Oh, I don't have time to practice. Typical spoiled jerk. That's my 2 cents. Like anyone really cares.

06-May-24
I don't mind scoped and cocked vice fired crossbows either. I do feel they belong in the general gun seasons since they are not bows which shoot real arrows. I am sorry to see the tremendous decline in bow and arrow hunting, especially in the midwest and east. Very few dedicated bowhunters left these days in my neck of the midwest.

06-May-24
I knew my opinion would tick off the cross gun guys.

It's a fact, a crossbow has more in common with a gun than a bow. You don't have to hold the weight of the string.

Heck, You can shoot a crossbow with one hand!

Try shooting a bow with one hand and let me know how that works out.

Like I said, I have no problem with crossbows in rifle seasons...but no, the crossbow guys only use them because its a big advantage in a primitive weapons season.

06-May-24
Been dare, I value your opinion but to say a crossbow is akin to a firearm is a stretch... I can hold back my Ross compound for minutes with my adreline kicked in on a nice whitetail. Live an let live... I'm not suggesting Pat start a crossbow forum;0) but don't put down a weapon that's as old as the middle ages. scentman

06-May-24
If a crossbow gets a kid or aging hunter in the woods, I’m all for it. But, a healthy adult shouldn’t get a pass. In my opinion.

Bow season is for bows. I didn’t use to feel that way. And, I was certain crossbows kills would never come close to matching archery kills in WV. Well, I was bad wrong on that.

I’m not a guy that thinks a lot about what others do. But, I am concerned about hunting. I’m scared that people who only know hunting with a cross bow during bow season , will be uncommitted hunters at the voting booth. I’m also scared they’ll grow board and quit. Neither does hunting one bit of good.

I can’t fathom why anyone capable of using a vertical bow, would forgo that thrill in favor of a crossbow. But, if people never try a vertical Bow, they won’t know the difference.

Anyways, a crossbow doesn’t belong in a bow season. If states want to make a crossbow season to regulate them, that’s fine. Run them concurrent if need be. But, don’t confuse it or related it to bow hunting. It’s not. Hunting it is. But, bow hunting it most certainly isn’t.

06-May-24
Why do they go to the crossbow? The answer is simple. No practice needed. I sum it up with one word. Laziness!

06-May-24
I’d be curious how much money boltgun companies have thrown at the YouTube, TV, Instagram, and Tiktok Market Hunters (that are currently ruining our pastime on their own) to try to win the support of the fanboys. Back when I watched market hunters (right when boltguns were making their rise) almost all of them were selling the idea that boltguns were God’s gift to the outdoors and I’m sure many of their clients (viewers) bought them as a result whether it be for themselves or their kids. Heck I even had a boltgun company reach out to me last season saying they wanted to grow their prostaff.

If these market hunters wouldn’t have sold out to the boltgun companies 10ish years ago I highly doubt your everyday rifle hunter would be as big of a boltgun advocate as they are now and some states likely wouldn’t have legalized them as fast as they did as a result - but that’s the thing, the market hunters always sell out. Not selling out requires some level of respect and righteousness - which people whose business model requires selling dead wildlife as advertising space likely lack in.

06-May-24
I think they blew it when they allowed scopes/magnifiers on compounds. Too many threads on here especially sheep hunts where guys were shooting over 60 yards. I remember guys justifying 100 yard shots since that's what they practice blah blah. Well the crossbow guys are right, a lot of compound hunters don't limit themselves so why not let a older hunter shoot a crossbow in archery season? I think NY has it right saying anyone over 60 can use a crossbow or disabled. I think some guys are cheating with getting a DR to sign off for them but what can you do.

06-May-24
"I think they blew it when they allowed scopes/magnifiers on compounds."

I doubt anyone is using magnification on their compounds for hunting. It definitely wouldn't be an advantage.

06-May-24
“don't put down a weapon that's as old as the middle ages.”

It’s Not About “putting them down”, it’s about keeping them in the appropriate season.

Boggs ain’t wrong about 21st-Century Market Hunting.

06-May-24
A few years ago a guy hurt his shoulder and had surgery right before a Kaibab deer hunt. Somehow he got a permit to use a xbow. Spent $2600 on a very nice xbow. He was stacking them bolts at 100yds at over 400fps in camp. It was impressive.

06-May-24
Captmike agree 100%

06-May-24
Too many egos and attitudes in the archery world anymore plain and simple

07-May-24
“Back when I watched market hunters (right when boltguns were making their rise) almost all of them were selling the idea that boltguns were God’s gift to the outdoors and I’m sure many of their clients (viewers) bought them as a result whether it be for themselves or their kids.”

ive been around long enough to know that the exact same thing happened when compounds came on the scene…and the “this isn’t what bow hunting was meant to be” crowd had the same reaction.

they were easier to shoot… increased a bow hunters effective range…and they helped increase bow hunter participation 5-10 times compared to pre compound days.

now the compound shooters are the “that’s not what bow hunting was meant to be” crowd…and the sky is falling yet again…only this time they arent increasing participation anywhere near what compounds did…if at all.

07-May-24
Not sure where they get the numbers they quote, but the harvest is closing in on the gun kill in WV. The numbers don't lie the WVBA lobbied hard to get the season separate from the archery season. This way when they want to lower/shorten the season we can point them to the correct season to shorten. ALL DUE TO CROSSBOW SEASON RUNNING CONCURRENT WITH archery season.

07-May-24
Here in Mass. it's only allowed for medical/disability *BUT* once you get a crossbow permit you can not go back to hunting with a bow. (Fraud, bub.)

I don't need one and I have no interest in them. However, I have to admit that at 70 my ability with a recurve is not improving but degrading. Thinking of getting a compound. Hope my trad buddies don't crucify me ;-)

07-May-24
The only thing that irritates me is when someone tries passing it off as a "bow kill". It's a crossbow kill.

As far as the harvest not increasing in PA I know it is because many guys are one deer guys. Instead of killing it with a rifle they are now killing it with a crossbow in nicer weather and not going rifle hunting.

07-May-24
I have hunted the archery seasons for almost 60 years, exclusively with longbows and recurves. When I can no longer use stickbows I will quietly exit. No need for using scoped crossbows to stay in the game. Scoped crossbows are different game, and not bowhunting at all. Not even close.

07-May-24
Ricky, if you can’t see the difference in a compound (requires draw cycle while animal is coming in or already in, requires one hand on a vertical riser and another hand physically holding the string in the full draw position while holding draw weight for a limited draw time, shooting mechanics VERY close to if not identical to a recurve) and a crossbow (can be ‘pulled back’ and loaded at the cabin before heading to the woods, can have it pointed at their bait pile the entire hunt ready to fire without completing a draw cycle while the animal is coming in, grasp a forestock and a pistol grip identical to the mechanics of rifle shooting, lay your cheek on the rifle stock while looking through your rifle scope, squeeze a rifle trigger after clicking the safety off) then I can’t help you. This doesn’t surprise me though as you can’t see a lot of things that everyone else on this site can

07-May-24
Anyone that argues compounds are basically no different than crossbows is delusional.

07-May-24
Danged double post.

07-May-24
I've always shot traditional and I've put that limit on myself. My friend had a shoulder replacement and he was able to hunt with a crossbow. He bought a standard crossbow not the raven etc. He says it is way easier than shooting a compound and he was a great shot. I'm very happy he was able to hunt with the crossbow. I think there is a place for them but there is no doubt they will affect seasons and draw odds just as when the compound technology increased each year.

07-May-24
It is kinda depressing how they dominate and how quickly they have done so. Been a long time since Ive seen anyone with a bow. But it does clarify the issue when they all deny how they got their deer... I got him with my BOW... I hunt ARCHERY... He was BOWKILL... I double lunged him with an ARROW... And then finally after the questions get too specific they kinda hang their head and admit they used a crossbow. One relative after about 6 pointed questions finally said "why won't you just let this go? Ive been interrogated by the FBI and they weren't as anal as you are." Then he came clean and admitted it was a crossbow kill. He didn't kill it on my land I couldn't give two shits what he used but I found his verbal subterfuge to be fascinating.

07-May-24
I’ve hunted with recurve and compounds for 50 yrs. With physical reasons I started hunting with a xbow two years ago killing two big whitetail, an antelope and a bear. So when I relay the hunt to anyone that asks the first thing I say is I shoot a xbow and this cuts out all the stupid ass questions of how I killed them.

07-May-24
Hey scent man, You are wrong. Try shooting your compound with one hand like you can with a crossbow.

Try holding your Compound at full draw for 2 hours.

Crossbows are essentially a short range rifle...and even then, I know guys shooting a sub 4" group at 100y with them.

07-May-24
I never thought questions about weapon used were stupid. The weapon helps define the hunt, the hunter, and the ultimate accomplishment. Even the P&Y club started asking that question many years ago, long before the scoped and cocked vice held, modern long range crossbows were allowed for all, at least in most states.

07-May-24
Guys, scoped crossbows can be cocked and held horizontally in a shooting vice with an attached chair for many, many hours. Try that with a compound or longbow. Scoped crossbows have zero to do with bowhunting.

07-May-24
"Anyone that argues compounds are basically no different than crossbows is delusional."

Amen Brother!

07-May-24
Missouri +1 Get off the I'll use what is legal kick. The fact is, they should have not been made legal during what was the archery seasons, that is what is upsetting and pisses true archers off. It was a slap in the face to all that have and do go through all the practice, tinkering, learning to shoot a bow well enough to hunt the what was archery seasons. They were not set for game management, the seasons were set for limited kill percentage of the weapon. Compounds? Yes I was around also when they came into the picture. It caused a ruckus, but at least it was a vertical self drawn and released bow against a vertical self drawn and released bow. Not a a vertical self drawn and released bow against a gun. BTW, it was not that big of a ruckus.

07-May-24
And, the scoped and cocked crossbows were originally made legal for use by hunters with physical limitations. Why, well because they are an easier weapon to use vs a compound bow. With a shooting vice, which many use, they can be fired by a person with use in only one finger or toe. Try that with a compound bow.

• Sitka Gear