stringgunner 06-Jun-24
midwest 06-Jun-24
wytex 06-Jun-24
LBshooter 06-Jun-24
stringgunner 06-Jun-24
Shrewski 06-Jun-24
wytex 06-Jun-24
22-May-24
Well, we got lucky and drew a Wyoming unit 7 type 1 tag. I have studied the unit the past few years prior to putting in for the tag. I know there are significant land access issues and the elk hole up on private property when the rifles start shooting in October. I have a lot of experience archery hunting for elk... but I am not as familiar with the area as I would like to be. I guess that comes with the territory when you draw a tag that takes 13 preference points!

I do have a decent idea where to start, but I am looking for any advice from Bowsiters that are willing to share information on the area. Please reach out through PMs!

I do plan to do a scouting trip in August to finalize the area we plan to focus on early in the season. We will also plan to spend around 16 days hunting in September with plans to go back in October if we aren't successful in filling our tags with bow. Once again, thank you in advance for anyone willing to help out and please contact me through PM!

22-May-24
13 Points and you pulled the trigger! good on you... I am sitting on 13 points as well and need to get going! Hope you have a great hunt!

22-May-24
Black Mountain.

22-May-24

Old School's embedded Photo
Old School's embedded Photo
Hiked in unit 7 last year. Beautiful country.

22-May-24
I ain't no elk killer, but I am a pretty good elk finder. Elk are where you find 'em is the truest thing ever said. It ain't rocket science. Study, study, study, study your maps and any other sources you can levderage. Find the trifecta of secure bedding, near food and water. Then start looking for north facing slopes and benches. I love saddles and other funnels that connect the dots. Put the puzzle together. Mark your targets, then focus on them when you can put boots on the ground. Be open to new opportunities......those often crop up where you least expect them and can be golden. It is so much more satisfying to figure it out for yourself despite the temptation to seek short cuts from others....and sometimes those clues from others lead to you finding better stuff by yourself. Take this for what its worth. Best wishes and best of luck!

23-May-24
Thanks everyone for the comments and the couple that reached out through PMs.

I always go into my hunts trying to gather as much information as I can. It is especially important in a unit that takes this many points to draw. In all likelihood, I will get one shot at hunting this unit and I probably won't ever be able to hunt it again. Point creep is real and I don't think I will ever bank points in Wyoming again. I am going to hunt when I can and not hold out for high point units. We all only have so many elk hunts left in us!

So, please keep the information coming. Any specific talk would be best through PMs. Thanks again in advance for any information you are willing to share!

24-May-24
jordan access is the issue in 7. He has to be able to get the the areas you describe.

Should be getting some useful info I hope.

Coming out to scout and learn spots this summer? If so bring your fishing gear and watch for snakes.

24-May-24
For that tag in that hunt Area and 13 years of preference points my scouting would include the possibility of finding some private that has a trespass fee.

24-May-24
Water is usually on the private. Finding it close to public usually will hold a few elk until the guns starts.

24-May-24
Move there August 15th and DON'T leave until you've satisfied yourself.

04-Jun-24
Anyone else willing to help out? PM me. Thanks!

04-Jun-24
Jeck if you come out in Aug stop by The Library for a beer in Laramie, or food.

Been dry so far, hit and miss rains so water may be key as mentioned.

04-Jun-24
Area 7 is the last place I would apply for and I’m a resident. Quite a lot of the elk are on private. If I was in your shoes I’d contact Wagon Hound and book a hunt with them.

04-Jun-24
There are a ton on public but not easy to hunt. I'd take a tag and make a call or 2 and go hunt some landlocked public. It is doable.

04-Jun-24
Bowboy - not a chance. I won't be paying Wagonhound $15,000+ to hunt. We will hunt public or look for a trespass fee to access some hard to get to public lands. It will be a challenge but we are looking forward to it!

04-Jun-24
Good attitude Jeck !! Like you said might be a challenge but give it all you got.

Some decent fishing around too if you're so inclined.

04-Jun-24
Not near what it was 10-15 years ago but a good hunt can still be had… have plan A-Z. Depending who draws, you could be hunting alone or overrun by hunters!!

04-Jun-24
Given what my good buddy Wytex said about limited public access.......for sure get a damn good smart phone and load you up some GAIA GPS or OnX or similar that you like and works for you. Gotta know where you are and where the property lines sorta kinda are.....then play it safe and keep your distance. I LOVE me some map scouting. The challenge of finding good spots and then figuring out how to get to them is almost as much fun for me as actually going boots on the ground hunting. One of the best tutorials on this was done by Randy Newberg, BIG FIN (he randomly posts to BS which is cool)! Corey Jacobson does a good one too. BEST OF LUCK!!!! Keep up the great attitude.

05-Jun-24
Thanks guys. I did get some exclusive access for us in a little over 6,000 acres of private land for a very fair price! It also opens up alot of forest service/state land as well.

I am also doing alot of E-scouting as well. Thanks everyone for the advice. It is appreciated. I plan to make the most of this tag! I am still very open to any more information! Thanks!

05-Jun-24
There's always Corner Crossing to get to new ground ;)

05-Jun-24
Yes, hopefully that case is completely decided this summer!

05-Jun-24
He won't need to corner crossing if he has some access. Sounds like Jeck has a plan in place and is making it happen.

This should be a good hunt and hope we get some awesome pics later this Fall!!

05-Jun-24
Thanks wytex - I sure hope we have some great pics to show!

06-Jun-24
Agree with Gil. Options A-Z. And be prepared to move. Have hunted the unit several times, every year has more hunters. But the elk are still there.

Your private land option should help depending on where it’s at. Also look at the walk in areas in the southern part of the unit and some of the other special land permits that can be drawn . A lot of people get hung up in the large tracts of public, but don’t overlook the smaller areas either. Being mobile is key.

06-Jun-24
I doubt anyone on here has bow killed more elk in area 7 than gil_wy.

06-Jun-24
Good for him !!

06-Jun-24
Are bears an issue in this area?

06-Jun-24
LB- No

06-Jun-24
I see RMEF got 6600 acres opened up for sportsmen in Unit 7 yesterday.

06-Jun-24
Black bears up there. Mule Cr Ranch may have been open in the past as an HMA when privately owned, but now I believe it is permanent.

• Sitka Gear