Mike F 05-Jun-17
Live2hunt 05-Jun-17
Novice 05-Jun-17
MF 05-Jun-17
GoJakesGo 06-Jun-17
MF 06-Jun-17
04-Jun-17
Hi,

I will be going bear hunting for the first time and drew a tag in zone C. I am looking to hire a guide service. I have a few questions that I am hoping to have answered:

I see the success rate in zone C is very low. I know the population in zone C is lower, but do more people take it less seriously because it is easier to get a tag and people who do hunt it seriously do better?(i.e. either person doesn't hunt or bait well).

Is the first week of hunting the best?

Does it pay to hunt the 3rd week in September?

Any advice on guides?

Thanks

04-Jun-17
The success rate in Zone C keeps getting worse because the DNR continues to give out more and more harvest tags. A couple of years ago the Dept. blamed it on hunter saturation so what do the geniuses do, they give out more and more tags each year. Insanity at it's highest level. From talking with guys that bait there, it is flooded with baits sites where they hunt. I know of a few guides, but don't know them personally so I'm reluctant to give out there names. Too many guides today in it for just the money and not a quality hunt. First week is your best bet. Later on bears start transitioning with food getting ready for their winter slumber.

04-Jun-17
Last year many baits along 64 and south died on the opener. Many variables contributed. My nephew shot his bear second Saturday. Keep bating as foods change so do the bears.

05-Jun-17
Zone C is tough, but you can kill a bear if you put in your time and are really lucky. Your guide should be able to change up baits accordingly and if the weather is stable you might get lucky. The farther north you go in zone C the better off you are. You need to look at where you want to hunt and find a guide in that area.

What ever you do make sure you get a list of references and make sure that they have a guides license. A lot of people advertise on craigslist trying to make a quick buck and give us guides a bad rap.

05-Jun-17
There are more bear than you think in area C. But, because as stated, hunter saturation in the woods, it's a tough hunt. That and the bear stop hitting the bait the week before or the week of opener every damn time.

05-Jun-17
Would like to give positive feedback for zone c, but agree with above. For 3 years now I've watched guys where I lease get tags and work hard baiting and give some hard effort to no avail. Pics of a few bears (even a big one) up until the week before the season starts. Yet no one has seen one on stand. They've tried various sites on a couple properties, many different bait treats, and different tactics. I could've drawn a tag a couple times already in C, but am not wasting my time. I will wait until I have enough points for another zone. Behlftball, hope you have better luck. Hopefully, you can find a reputable guide to up your chances.

05-Jun-17
I know a few that have reached out to me and have been looking for a guide in Zone C, they cant find one, they are all booked up. Hunters expecting a tag don't wait to find a Bear Guide Service, do your home work and book your hunt 1 year ahead of time. "Anyone know of a guide service in Zone C still booking?" Please contact me.

06-Jun-17
Lots of private land along the northern c border. I think the dnr try to play the odds that the landowners will draw tags if there are many. Are hunters looking for guides or private property to bait?

06-Jun-17
GojakesGo....One is looking for a guide, lodging and meals.

• Sitka Gear